Help Indoor Party Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

RG550R

Apr 17, 2007
Sims Drive
hi folks i have a friend who is going to play in the bar with different lighting conditions...i appreciate if anybody who has experience and can share what is the ideal settings (aperture & shutter speed, ISO) and accessories (like flash...) need to bring...thanks in advance

bring a tripod, a camera body, a lens long enough to zoom with a wide aperture as wide as possible.

go spot metering or manual to achieve ambient light. flash not recommended as I think people will find it irritating and you don't get ambient lighting.

Relatively simple to carry out. :D

http://flickr.com/photos/7939996@N07/

That guy has pretty sweet shots. He uses a 12-24 (I'm guessing, since most of his shots are at 12mm, f/4), and close to half-second exposures with flash on auto. My friend talked to a whosgoing.sg photographer and he uses a wide angle zoom too, so I wouldn't recommend a tele zoom (magnifies camera shake, and you WILL need to use a slow shutter speed in a club environment). The rull of thumb is get as close as possible with a wide angle, and at maximum aperture size.

Otherwise, I got a few usable shots just with a 18-70 on aperture prority, smallest aperture, or manual with flash on auto. I probably got them just because I took ~600 shots that night :p Check out my flickr link in my sig

mastering the slow flash will be very fun, with a small aperture working around the party lights

Use a Flash
Bounce it
Shoot Wide Open f2.8 would be optimum
and get a wide angle zoom
12-24 or generally 18-70 should be fine

adjust to and make full use of the ambient lighting

You wont be able to set up a tripod in most club events
unless you're the official photographer .

every clubs, bars, pubs has different kind of lighting conditional, can't tell what settings to use unless been shot there before.

but one thing for sure is the ambient light is very low, and the ceiling is mostly black or has some fixture, so you are shooting with ambient light only is like you have to shoot at very high ISO and wide open aperture, and can only shoot with direct flash or bounce card if you using flash.

if your friend want some pose mug shots, do it before the bar open for customers, so you can set up off camera flashes, tripod and get your shots without disturbing the customers.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all ur inputs... I'll post all of my shots after the SAT night events....thanks again!

u havent specific what equipment u own.
Generally , go for wide angle , flash . Dun bother with manual flash.
Dun bring tripod. Even if u are the offical . it will be the stupidest mistake any offical could have even thought of bring..

As lighting conditions would be difficult, shoot in RAW to ease WB adjustments if necessary during PP. :)

http://flickr.com/photos/7939996@N07/

That guy has pretty sweet shots. He uses a 12-24 (I'm guessing, since most of his shots are at 12mm, f/4), and close to half-second exposures with flash on auto. My friend talked to a whosgoing.sg photographer and he uses a wide angle zoom too, so I wouldn't recommend a tele zoom (magnifies camera shake, and you WILL need to use a slow shutter speed in a club environment). The rull of thumb is get as close as possible with a wide angle, and at maximum aperture size.

Otherwise, I got a few usable shots just with a 18-70 on aperture prority, smallest aperture, or manual with flash on auto. I probably got them just because I took ~600 shots that night :p Check out my flickr link in my sig

hey thanks a lot! i appreciate the compliments.. you have pretty much got me technique down pat..

i am experimenting with a new technique though.. using barebulb manual flash and a big generous f11-f16 type depth of field.. it will be more inconvenient using manual but you get a different field using barebulb.. my ultimate night photography idol is this guy from http://www.ambrel.net.. check it out.. you will be impressed.. his latest pics feature a concert set too

if you are allowed too.. dont be afraid to get up close and personal with the subject to provide a different perspective.. since its your friend i dont think he will mind anyway.. have fun.. cheerio!

thanks again to all...

luval, i got D200 body (2 CF cards, 2Gb each), SB-800 (2 sets of 5pcs AA battery) and im going to rent 17-55mm f/2.8 lens

is 17-55mm f/2.8 is right choice of lens?

No right/wrong choice. But I think use rear-sync flash will be alot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.