Help in SLR system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowcrash

Jan 18, 2002
Western SG
Visit site
How much is EOS300 body alone?

I am considering it next to Minolta Dynax 5 (some say body cost abt $400) as F80 is out of my range.

Plan to get it with a 50/1.8 or 50/1.7(minolta) lens for low light photography.

I think you need to take into consideration the system as well. Nikon and Canon have larger 2nd hand market...thus you can later buy 2nd hand lenses or cameras easier. EOS 300 is comparable to Nikon F65, and Nikon F80 should compare side by side with EOS30. If I were you, I will try come out with more money...and buy F80 or EOS30. These cameras are feature rich, and you don't have to worry about upgrading in a long time.

Originally posted by Kho King
I think you need to take into consideration the system as well. Nikon and Canon have larger 2nd hand market...thus you can later buy 2nd hand lenses or cameras easier. EOS 300 is comparable to Nikon F65, and Nikon F80 should compare side by side with EOS30. If I were you, I will try come out with more money...and buy F80 or EOS30. These cameras are feature rich, and you don't have to worry about upgrading in a long time.

that's why I'm considering Canon system even thought Minolta Dynax 5 have a lot of features and my idea is to get the cheapest Body with AF/DOF to learn.

As for 50mm 1.8 lens, that's the cheapest lens for low light condition I can get....

Be aware that the Dynax 5 is really tiny.. it's a bit too small for my liking.

I agree with Kho King.. if you save up, you can get a F80 or EOS 30, which both will be full featured bodies that can do just about everything a higher end body can do (with a few exceptions, of course).

Originally posted by YSLee
Be aware that the Dynax 5 is really tiny.. it's a bit too small for my liking.

I agree with Kho King.. if you save up, you can get a F80 or EOS 30, which both will be full featured bodies that can do just about everything a higher end body can do (with a few exceptions, of course).

then what lens do I get?

Originally posted by Snowcrash

then what lens do I get?

Speaking for EOS 30.

If you prefer a versatile lens for travelling, and u do not care about resale value too much, I recommend Tamron 24-135 SP. Its as good as the canon counterpart with $200 cheaper. Price shd be around $630.

to me , best lens for travelling is Canon EF 28-200 USM .. :D

but it is not cheap ..

You can still buy the 50mm f/1.8 lens. If I were to buy my first SLR again, I will buy F80 + 50mm f/1.8. I am not sure the quality of the Canon 50mm, but I am confident that the Nikkor AF 50mm is the best bang for the buck in Nikkor lines. That's why no third party maker is making 50mm lens to fight with Nikkor.

2nd thought, I will buy 2nd hand. With this, I can save some money...and get better stuff.

I agree that its wiser to start with a mid range body like the EOS 30 or F80 if you're serious about taking photos. That will save you the trouble(money) of having to upgrade down the road.

A 50mm lens is a good start. Canon 50mm f/1.8 is good and cheap. Sharpness is quite good/acceptable even at wide open or close. I still have this lens(use it as a loupe most of the time) with my EOS 30 as a backup. The combination is very light and ideal for travelling or just walking around taking snap shots. If you find the 30 to small for your hands, there's always the optional BP-300 with vertical control. You're kinda unfortunate as Canon just ended their promotion with the EOS 30. Comes with a free 28-105 lens.

Also, if you have a tight budget, may I suggest that you look at the second hand market. There are a few EOS 50/55 around at Camera Workshop that seems to be in decent condition. I think they're worth looking into.

Consider carefully and study each system to see which one suits you the best(now and in future). Switching systems half way is expensive. Good luck.

Thanks guys for your suggestions:)

But I only have max a budget of $600 now!:(

50mm/1.8 must buy...!!!

as for 2nd hand body.... Camera Workshop reliable or not? Do they give warranty on their 2nd hand products?

As a newbie...don't know how or what to check....

I was eyeing FM10 but they don't sell the body only!! (comes with 35-70 zoom lens)

this is a good combi. im currently using this combi most of the time when i am doing street photography, yes, just this lense alone. it taughtme how to be flexible when doing my shots. camera woekshop is reliable to a extent, say 90%, give and take a few %. prices wise is ok, reasonable.
eos300 maybe a bit teeny, but get the BP200 vertical grip for 60 at cathay.
50/1.8 can bargain till 140 at cathay too. i got mine there.

cheers,
leonard

i bought my eos 300 when it was just launched near to 3 yrs ago. that time got offer, so i think i got it round $600.
but i know that the price has gone up, bout 700+.
if you were to be on a budget, then i think a 2nd hand body wld be ok.
think you can get it for 400+, near to 500.
go to camera workshop and see if there is any stock. the price there can neg one.
wish you luck in ur 1st step into getting a SLR.

cheers,
leonard

Originally posted by langzi
i bought my eos 300 when it was just launched near to 3 yrs ago. that time got offer, so i think i got it round $600.
but i know that the price has gone up, bout 700+.
if you were to be on a budget, then i think a 2nd hand body wld be ok.
think you can get it for 400+, near to 500.
go to camera workshop and see if there is any stock. the price there can neg one.
wish you luck in ur 1st step into getting a SLR.

cheers,
leonard

Thanks for the advice.

I manage to borrow an EOS300 w 28-80 lens from my friend to try out. Will shoot some film to try it out.

good move!!

it's always good to try out a system b4 buying it.

cheers,
leonard

MS Color selling 50mm f/1.8 @ SGD130
Was looking for this lens last 2 weeks and almost every shop no stock.

ahhh..where's MS Color???
been looking for this lens and everywhere sold out........
anyone wants to sell 2nd hand or knows where still got stock?

Originally posted by DieHarder
MS Color selling 50mm f/1.8 @ SGD130
Was looking for this lens last 2 weeks and almost every shop no stock.

hey, 50mm f1.8 good or 50mm f1.4, i mean the quality of these two lens, and how much does a 50mm f1.4 costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.