Help in looking for a huge storage device

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason H0

my harddisk is getting tight now... can someone advise me in what sort of huge storage device should i get? this would serve mostly as my main place to put my image files. Which is value for money in terms of money per byte.

try dvd writer ?
a piece of 4.7 GB disc cost like $1-2 SGD ... cheapest i think
only problem is nobody is sure how long can it keep the data safely ...

I use dvd to backup and I always keep 2 copies just in case

1 tape cassete can store 40gig of data and its dirt cheap. But hardware initial cost runs in the thousands.

damien

Definately go with the DVD Writer drive , its quick and easy and good quality discs can bought for around £9-50p {DV 3117} Datasafe Ritek A-Grade (8x) DVD-R in Spindle Tubs of 25 (4.7 gig discs) I have been advised to copy all photos to dvd from CD as dvd's have an expected minimum life of 10 years .

Try here for prices - writers and discs

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ (SVP Communications )
http://www.bigpockets.co.uk
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/

Jason H0 said:
my harddisk is getting tight now... can someone advise me in what sort of huge storage device should i get? this would serve mostly as my main place to put my image files. Which is value for money in terms of money per byte.

This is what I do...

- Download the pics to pc (as usual)
- Delete junk pics
- When it reaches ard 650meg...I will burn it into a CD

For me, I do this on average ard 2-3 Months time as I dun really shoot much and I have lots of junk pics... :)

bro... as a computer geek... i advise u to use a dvd-writer..... if u not in rush.. wait for the comp exhibition that is coming soon.... coz TDK is launching a cheaper and better writer..... so far i uses TDK DVD-Rs to preserve my pics.... save space and time...

My personal experience is using a DVD-writer, I bought the Verbitan DVD-R 2x at 6F of Sim Lim Sq. at $1.2/pc, the packing is 25pc in a rim case (cake box), the speed is a bit slow, but it is cheap or a faster speed like 4X costs around $2/pc. For DVD-writer, TDK 12X is on sale at $179, I guess it is a NEC oem, I am also a NEC user :), no matter what kind of back up media, I personally like the most compatible and easy to buy one, so as it is a common products, the competition of the manfactors will bring down to price, it in turn to make the product to become more propular, e.g. CD-R, floppy diskette ...etc. It is just my 2 cent idea, hope it help a bit ;)

MCS said:
My personal experience is using a DVD-writer, I bought the Verbitan DVD-R 2x at 6F of Sim Lim Sq. at $1.2/pc, the packing is 25pc in a rim case (cake box), the speed is a bit slow, but it is cheap or a faster speed like 4X costs around $2/pc. For DVD-writer, TDK 12X is on sale at $179, I guess it is a NEC oem, I am also a NEC user :), no matter what kind of back up media, I personally like the most compatible and easy to buy one, so as it is a common products, the competition of the manfactors will bring down to price, it in turn to make the product to become more propular, e.g. CD-R, floppy diskette ...etc. It is just my 2 cent idea, hope it help a bit ;)
wow, that's cheap.

i bot an external cd writer for $230 a year ago.

MCS said:
My personal experience is using a DVD-writer, I bought the Verbitan DVD-R 2x at 6F of Sim Lim Sq. at $1.2/pc, the packing is 25pc in a rim case (cake box)

bought 10 pieces of imation 4x at $1.2/pc too

Sorry for Interrupting but would like to ask:
Is getting an external harddrive more worth it than using DVD?

There are 3 types of DVD media in the market today:

1. DVD RW
2. DVD R
3. DVD RAM

I was told that DVD RAM is much more reliable and last longer than above 2. I bought a DVD writer that can write DVD RAM and using DVD RAM for backup. Off course in short term, I can't tell the difference.

Does anyone out there have any knowledge whether DVD RAM can last very long and how long? If anyone know of any site that compare the reliability of the above 3 medias? Would appreciate your sharing. :dunno:

ctzehock said:
Sorry for Interrupting but would like to ask:
Is getting an external harddrive more worth it than using DVD?

The problem of harddrive is that the life span of hard drive is only a few years, it will go kapu one day and you lost all your data, that is very heart pain when it happen. :bheart:

My advice is...

get a dual layer DVD burner. As some have already suggested, wait for the coming computer exhibition. Personally, I would recommend the TDK one. But I heard that BenQ had some good ratings. a dual layer DVD can hold 8.4Gb of data.

So check it out.

Adiemus said:
My advice is...

get a dual layer DVD burner. As some have already suggested, wait for the coming computer exhibition. Personally, I would recommend the TDK one. But I heard that BenQ had some good ratings. a dual layer DVD can hold 8.4Gb of data.

So check it out.
I don't think we should keep chasing for higher capacity, currently 4.7Gb is already big enough for backup, and it cost only few dollars per disk. Should organize the back up into few disc. I believe the most important is to ensure that the media can really last for many years. I view reliability more important than features and capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.