Help in explaning picture angle focal length for Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hulk

Oct 8, 2009
Hi there folks. I need someone to explain what this means:
"AF-S 50mm lens — a fast, single-focal-length lens with normal picture angle (when attached to a DX-format SLR, the picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 75mm in FX/35mm format)"

I own D300 & looking to buy this lens, but not really sure about the "picture angle equivalent to 75mm bit".

Could a kind soul explain or point me in the right direction?

Thx in advance.

Cheers.

Google about crop factor :)

"AF-S 50mm lens — a fast, single-focal-length lens with normal picture angle (when attached to a DX-format SLR, the picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 75mm in FX/35mm format)"

I own D300 & looking to buy this lens, but not really sure about the "picture angle equivalent to 75mm bit".

Thx in advance.

Cheers.

wah... D300 is your first DSLR?? :)
yummy
D300 is a DX-format DSLR
D700/D3/D3X are FX-format DSLRs

Same lens on the 2 different types of DSLRs, you'll see differently through the viewfinder.

Easiest way to explain is -

Basically, it says "If you zoom to 75mm on a full frame, the image (captured on the sensor) will be exactly the same as that on your DX SLR using the 50mm lens." This is determined by the crop factor*lens focal length. In other words, DX can only capture a smaller portion of the image produced by the lens.

The 35mm format is a baseline, if not the whole world will be haywire. :p

Last edited:
Easiest way to explain is -

Basically, it says "If you zoom to 75mm on a full frame, the image (captured on the sensor) will be exactly the same as that on your DX SLR using the 50mm lens." This is determined by the crop factor*lens focal length. In other words, DX can only capture a smaller portion of the image produced by the lens.

The 35mm format is a baseline, if not the whole world will be haywire. :p

Thx Mate.

wah... D300 is your first DSLR?? :)
yummy
D300 is a DX-format DSLR
D700/D3/D3X are FX-format DSLRs

Same lens on the 2 different types of DSLRs, you'll see differently through the viewfinder.

I was using an Olympus before.
Oh not my first just that I'm seriously going into photography now.

Thx in advance.

Cheers.

I wrote something here.. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595669
Post #43.

Status
Not open for further replies.