help in entry level cameras..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheaffey

Mar 21, 2009
East
ladies and gentlemen im kinda torn between nikon and canon DSLR entry level cameras, Should i get nikon D60 or Canon 350 or 450d? its kinda hard making these choices..recently went to john: 360 at funan and got to find out bout nikon D60..what they told me is that D60 have limited range of lenses rather than canon.. So to all the season photographers and pros out there, pls give me some advice in making these choices..thanks...:D

Last edited:
Go out and actually use the cameras. Test them, feel how they sit in your hand.

Canon 350D is "obsolete" already btw. Canon doesn't make them anymore.

Or u wait 3 more weeks for canon 500D to come out then you can compare to 450D, by then 450D should be cheaper also I think.

thanks brothers...im still considering..

if u got budget, why not also consider D90? :devil:

Or u wait 3 more weeks for canon 500D to come out then you can compare to 450D, by then 450D should be cheaper also I think.

Haiz... How time files... 3 weeks' time, 500D gonna launch.... Let's hope the price is right:thumbsup:

Haiz... How time files... 3 weeks' time, 500D gonna launch.... Let's hope the price is right:thumbsup:

wat new?

things always get replaced by a better model or a upgraded model...:devil:

ladies and gentlemen im kinda torn between nikon and canon DSLR entry level cameras, Should i get nikon D60 or Canon 350 or 450d? its kinda hard making these choices..recently went to john: 360 at funan and got to find out bout nikon D60..what they told me is that D60 have limited range of lenses rather than canon.. So to all the season photographers and pros out there, pls give me some advice in making these choices..thanks...:D

hihi... i am also new here..
was in the same position as you as i was thinking if to get nikon or canon.. i end up getting D60 as i find that i am more comfortable with it.
So like other bros had said, test them and see which u more comfortable with.. ;)

thanks brothers, hopefully i will have no complications after this..

hmm i would consider nikon D60 tomorrow when i make the purchase but im not sure bout canon entry level DSLR...and since my budget is abit tight so D60 would make a good entry level DSLR for me but im not sure bout the range in the lenses though coz some say its limited.....

Last edited:
Have u ever considered a SONY DSLR?

You have to try the cameras and see if you like them. The budget entry level cameras are Nikon D40/D60, Canon 1000D, Sony A200/A300. If you want to spend a little more Nikon D90, Canon 450D/500D, Sony A350. Have fun.

Personally I have a D40x, and I like it but have grown to dislike certain things (same apply to D60) about it namely:
1. Lack of of exposure and WB bracketing shots (Hard to do HDR if you want to go into it)
2. Lack of AF drive motor iin the body (limiting you only to AF-S lenses, less choices)
3. Slow continuous shooting.

Do not get me wrong, I still like my D40x. Cameras are just tools and in the end it is still the person behind the camera that matters. As for D40x, I can't complain as I got my kit free from my dad who did not want it anymore after more than a year. If I was getting my own DSLR, I may have opted for the D80 (at that time) and D90 now.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Oh, another interesting camera to note is the Panasonic Lumix G1 (still or HD versions). It is more of a hybrid without the mirror. Image quality is on par with DSLR though. The thing is, the micro 4/3 standard is so new that lens choices are extremely limited. So it is a "risky" system at this point.

actually if you can, i recommend the Sony DSLR system if you are beginner.

built in anti shake, has full frame camera ready if you decide to upgrade so can reuse old lens, warranty is clear cut and just me but i do find Sony interface is one of the most simplest to use.

Last edited:
thanks guys..thanks for the tips...anyway can u guys tell me bout canon 400D? does it have wide range of lenses?

I would suggest that you work within your budget and take a look at the cameras which are within your budget. Then visit a friendly shop to have a feel of the shortlisted cams. No point we tell you which to get when you are the one using it and you have to be comfortable with the cam. Some entry level cams lacks certain functions, some are so plasticky while others are not too user friendly (subjective to each individual). Just get the one that you're most comfortable with, of course among the ones within your budget. Do not be influenced by the sales person, listen to your heart to see which suits you better.

Lastly, after your purchase, please do not dump it after a couple of months of usage and think about switching brand thinking that the other brand will give you better pictures. (Look at the Buy/Sell subforum and you will understand what i mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.