Help in deciding First Camera

raggi

Mar 15, 2010
Hi,
I am a noob in photography and want to buy a new camera.
Currently see a Sony a290 offer (S$699) get 18-55 and 50 lens + other freebies.
Is it a good deal? and is it a good camera for noob to start with?
besides that, I am also consider prosumer camera Panasonic FZ40.
which one is better for newbie to start with?
thanks in advance.

the choice is yours actually . . . all the cameras are very competitive nowadays . . . ;)

read the links given and hope you get your new toy soon . . . ;)

It's definitely a very good camera to begin with, but do try to call up SLR Revo, MS Color and Cathay - you might get an even better deal!

If you really need live view, consider an A500.

Thanks guys for the opinion.
but i am still not sure whether a290 is enough for noob to start with. anyone have use a290 before and willing to share their experience? Really appreciate it. thanks...

depends on what u wan, what u wan to shot, and do u really need a live viewer? read the url thread posted previously really help u alot in identifying whether a290 suit u or not.. =)

Hi,
I am a noob in photography and want to buy a new camera.
Currently see a Sony a290 offer (S$699) get 18-55 and 50 lens + other freebies.
Is it a good deal? and is it a good camera for noob to start with?
besides that, I am also consider prosumer camera Panasonic FZ40.
which one is better for newbie to start with?
thanks in advance.

This will depend how far you want to go into photography. If you don't want to learn any photography and just simply wanted to shoot nice photos. Go with the prosumer. else go with the dslr.

If u r particular about image quality, go for DSLR that is within your budget.
There should be a few choices between $700-$800.
Shortlist a few, read their reviews and do some hands-on to see which u like most.

but i am still not sure whether a290 is enough for noob to start with. anyone have use a290 before and willing to share their experience? Really appreciate it. thanks...
Sony's the best! :thumbsup:

If u r particular about image quality, go for DSLR that is within your budget.
There should be a few choices between $700-$800.
Shortlist a few, read their reviews and do some hands-on to see which u like most.
I would like to clarify that DSLR does not automatically improve the image quality of one's photographs.

It's definitely a very good camera to begin with, but do try to call up SLR Revo, MS Color and Cathay - you might get an even better deal!

If you really need live view, consider an A500.

I personally feel that this is a very good and sincere suggestion from our senior brother Rashkae here, raggi.

I think the A290 will be more than enough camera for you. If anything, you will not be limited by the A290, only your own skills. It's a straightforward photographic machine, good for you to get your skills right first. You could probably use it for the next 3-5 years.