help in covering graduation ceremony at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murcielago

Mar 14, 2005
this fri have to cover a grad ceremony at night, (dont ask me why, silly nus schedule)
any suggestions/advices?

event shld be at NUSCC?

I think you have posted in the wrong sub-forum bro. :)

Murcielago said:
this fri have to cover a grad ceremony at night, (dont ask me why, silly nus schedule)
any suggestions/advices?

event shld be at NUSCC?

izzit you need help for your D70s setting?

both settings and also waht to do.

Murcielago said:
both settings and also waht to do.

well...i nv been to nus... but if its indoor...check whether can use flash...

btw...how far u be away from the stage...think u might need a 70-200 lens for this...

and if its outdoor...get a flash... SB800 will do..

any idea if the guest are required to remain seated thru-out the whole ceremony or can go to the side to take pic? how the seating arrangement will be like? free seating?

nightime shoot = need flash with quick recycling

location - indoor/outdoor?
if indoor how low the ceiling and what colour is is?

to reduce the recycling time of your flash you can up your iso
try to get an agenda of what is going to happen and at what time
this is so that you can be where the action is b4 it starts.
recce the location first and do a test shoot, decide what lens you need
get a zoom with a useful range, you do not have time to change lens
or use 2 cameras with different lenses.

good luck

Wai said:
any idea if the guest are required to remain seated thru-out the whole ceremony or can go to the side to take pic? how the seating arrangement will be like? free seating?

Don't think its allowed. Never seen parents/relatives go to the side before. Not sure if the urshers will stop you if you don't have a photog's pass.

ortega said:
location - indoor/outdoor?
if indoor how low the ceiling and what colour is is?

Indoor for ceremony, the ceiling's way too high. Ambiant light is quite sufficient but WB is a prob cos the light's a bit yellow.

Flash would be good for after ceremony shots.

EH

1. flash. bigger the better.
2. if you arent allowed close to stage, you might want to consider using a longer telephoto zoom. 2.8 is good. if not & no image stabilising, be prepared to work at high ISO to get a reasonable hand holding shutter speed.

i suggest you go there early, but when all the lighting is on, and run through some practise shots to get a ballpark for what exposure settings you want to be working with.

if the lighting is going to be constant, can also do a custom white balance.

Murcielago said:
any suggestions/advices?

event shld be at NUSCC?
If you're the official photographer, you are allowed to go near the stage. Use a bounce card. UCC is about 6 storeys high. The stage ceiling is as high but they can fly some deflector boards for the sound but it's curved so cannot use it for bounce.

for the ceremony the lights will be constant and your composition and metering will also be constant. so shoot in manual mode

use flash with battery pack for quick recycling and power to last.

set your WB to flash so that your main subjects will look natural
up your iso to 400 or as much as you dare to save on flash power

go early and test your settings, get a friend to stand there and see if the flash is correct.
if the background is too near you wil get an ugly shadow
test and see if the shadow is acceptable

if not then use a bounce card (not advised as it will suck juice from your batteries and slow down your recycling) a picture with an ugly shadow is better then a picture with no flash.

use a fast lens but do take note of the DOF as you want your subject to be in focus not just hie/her nose.

have fun

actually my sister graduation. but i think i wont be going in because she only got 2 tickets so my parents going in. hence i will be outside.
\\thanks for all the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.