Help in cleaning lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystix

Jan 18, 2002
Planet Earth
Visit site
Hi juz wondering how do u all clean your lenses?
i know they sell those lens tissue pack with the solution but they look quite cheapskate to me.
heard of kodak lens tissue but dunno where to buy. and cathay photo has a promo for a elcipse optic cleaning system for 18bucks. is that any good? can i use a special type of cloth to clean the lens?
sorry 4 asking so many questions. coz heart pain when i saw what i think is a scratch on my g2 lens even though i use a lens adaptor and uv filter to protect it. at first i thought it was a speck of dust but try as i might it wouldnt go away. sigh...see liao heart pain...how on earth it got there i will never know.

There are several ways to clean your lens.

For example, one person may "breathe" on the lens so that some water vapour forms on it, then wipe off with a microfibre cloth.

Another person may use isopropyl alcohol or methanol (eg like the Eclipse solution or some other lens cleaning solution) lightly applied via a lens tissue or microfibre cloth.

Personally, I use the "breathe" method and have a variety of microfibre cloths (can get one from Cathay - Rodenstock brand - for S$6-7; or a 3M one from hardware store). Microfibre cloths are really really great in lifting off oil, water, smudges, fingerprints easily.

On the "scratch" on your lens, don't think any amount of cleaning using the above methods will remove it, short of re-polishing your lens (which we do not recommend, but if you really really want to do it, use Autosol or Brasso ;p ). Consolation is that if its a small scratch, the effects are really really really unnoticeable in the final picture. Trust me on this - used to be really really concerned about minor dust/fingerprints/smudges/etc. on and IN my lenses, but now, don't give two hoots about it as I realised that they do NOT show up in the pictures.

p.s. the part about using Autosol/Brasso on your lens is a JOKE - never, ever, ever, never let any of those types of chemicals near your lenses/camera. ;p ;p

p.p.s I expect to see some posts from the DSLR users pretty soon now about cleaning dust off the CCDs - now that is a scary procedure.

hey mystix, strangely enough... i have the exact same problem... got a spec of dust on the inside of my lens... have no idea how it got there... but as Darren said, it doesn't really show...
= )

:what:

oic thanks 4 d info! guess i juz have to accept my fate liao heheh.
btw do u all use the same cleaning method for slr lens? since they cost so much do u let the pros clean it for u or u clean urself?

You can get the Kodak lens tissue from most of the Kodak shops, $4/= for 50 pieces.
The only thing I am looking for is the Kodak Lens Cleaner (the solvent) but..................anybody knows where I can get this? I have been searching everywhere (C.P. Suntec City....... )_ but in vain.......I heard that it is out of stocks for 2 months already. Can get it every corner in Singapore?:cry:

Originally posted by 007
You can get the Kodak lens tissue from most of the Kodak shops, $4/= for 50 pieces.
The only thing I am looking for is the Kodak Lens Cleaner (the solvent) but..................anybody knows where I can get this? I have been searching everywhere (C.P. Suntec City....... )_ but in vain.......I heard that it is out of stocks for 2 months already. Can get it every corner in Singapore?:cry:

anybody knows where to get the kodak lens cleaner?
thanx :what:

Originally posted by Eugene

anybody knows where to get the kodak lens cleaner?
thanx :what:

don't think you can get it in Sg for the time being. I heard from the CP (salesperson) that it has been out of stock for nearly one year! and the main problem is that the Kodak has to renew the licence, (something like that) and this will go through a lot of procedures...........:(:cry: for timebeing i just use the lens tissue. The tissues have some chemical in them, therefore can be used to clear some minor dust or dirt........

Originally posted by Darren
Consolation is that if its a small scratch, the effects are really really really unnoticeable in the final picture. Trust me on this - used to be really really concerned about minor dust/fingerprints/smudges/etc. on and IN my lenses, but now, don't give two hoots about it as I realised that they do NOT show up in the pictures.

wah !!! you put my heart at rest now :D

Originally posted by Mystix
Hi juz wondering how do u all clean your lenses?
i know they sell those lens tissue pack with the solution but they look quite cheapskate to me.
heard of kodak lens tissue but dunno where to buy. and cathay photo has a promo for a elcipse optic cleaning system for 18bucks. is that any good? can i use a special type of cloth to clean the lens?
sorry 4 asking so many questions. coz heart pain when i saw what i think is a scratch on my g2 lens even though i use a lens adaptor and uv filter to protect it. at first i thought it was a speck of dust but try as i might it wouldnt go away. sigh...see liao heart pain...how on earth it got there i will never know.

i dont like kodak's tissue.. doesn't clean well.

I wouldn't even think of touching the lens elements. Like Darren said, dust specks, small scratches, etc are not going to affect the final image. I've used a 70-200 lens where the front element was cracked and chipped away(not scratch) and my pictures still came out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.