Help! I'm Colour Blind.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2005
44
0
0
#1
How can I tell that the colour of my pictures is ok?
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#2
u are not alone lor...

i got few ways...

if i take product shoot, i ask another person to sit beside me, show them the product, then i shoot, den normally use white background, so after shooting, i just go PS, select the curve, use the white balance icon, click the white area, color should be correct, if not, ask the person to see... nothing beats another person's eye.

if i am taking for fun, i think nobody would know the accurate colors, even velvia gives u colors not the replication of the real natural thing. so i'll just do some weird colors which i feel like it should be. and it might have some nice abstract to it.

if who ever tells you that your color sucks... tell them we have color appreciation deficiency, but i guess u have too... deficiency in appreciation of our colors...
 

Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#4
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
tell them we have color appreciation deficiency, but i guess u have too... deficiency in appreciation of our colors...
Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but I was wondering what "natural colour" photos (made by others) look like to you. Do they look natural (i.e. like the real scene), or do they have weird casts?
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#5
LittleWolf said:
Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but I was wondering what "natural colour" photos (made by others) look like to you. Do they look natural (i.e. like the real scene), or do they have weird casts?
there was once my psychology lecturer said... how would you know that an angmo with blue eye will see more blue than us, or we see more black or brown then them?

i guess that really explains that... even thou he was refering to another scenario...
 

solarii

New Member
Oct 20, 2005
1,354
0
0
Bt. Timah
#8
Colour balance is extremely subjective. You can vary it depending on the mood you want to convey. There's no "right" or "wrong" colour balance, only what you want your image to look like.

The description normally used for colour balance is "accuracy", which is used to describe how faithfully the picture replicates the actual scence. Any constant deviation is known as a "colour cast".

Don't worry too much about it. If you're happy with the look of your photos then you're fine. There's probably nothing really wrong with it. Else use the variations command in photoshop to do necessary changes.
 

onelight

New Member
Oct 30, 2005
28
0
0
#9
memorise the color you see. If blue to you is green, then everytime you see green, you know is blue. But if you are shooting for client, it's up to them to see if they like the color afterall.
 

Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#10
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
there was once my psychology lecturer said... how would you know that an angmo with blue eye will see more blue than us, or we see more black or brown then them?
That's not really what I meant... more like, if I give you a photo with colours that look like "real" to me, would it also look like "real" to you?

What I'm aiming at is if/how metamerism works here ...
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
#11
solarii said:
Colour balance is extremely subjective. You can vary it depending on the mood you want to convey. There's no "right" or "wrong" colour balance, only what you want your image to look like.

The description normally used for colour balance is "accuracy", which is used to describe how faithfully the picture replicates the actual scence. Any constant deviation is known as a "colour cast".

Don't worry too much about it. If you're happy with the look of your photos then you're fine. There's probably nothing really wrong with it. Else use the variations command in photoshop to do necessary changes.
?? unless the target audience is only yourself... Ultimately you want to present the image to someone else and so you must know what the image will look like to others, which is a bit tough for color blind people. I think the best thing is to use a grey card and don't adjust colors...
 

Dec 8, 2005
12
0
0
Tatooine
#13
Hee.. If it helps, I'm colour-blind too. (Red & Green Deficiency).. But then again, Beethoven is Deaf!! :D
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#14
wind30 said:
?? unless the target audience is only yourself... Ultimately you want to present the image to someone else and so you must know what the image will look like to others, which is a bit tough for color blind people. I think the best thing is to use a grey card and don't adjust colors...
err... y grey card? if u say 18% grey cards, its for exposure, not white balance... if u wan white balance, use a white card.
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#15
LittleWolf said:
That's not really what I meant... more like, if I give you a photo with colours that look like "real" to me, would it also look like "real" to you?

What I'm aiming at is if/how metamerism works here ...
if i ask u... using the same reply as before... how would u know that the real red you see is the real red seen with the person having brown eyes, blue eyes or green eyes? Nobody can change the color of their iris (not including those contact lenses...) so since we are accustomed to this color cast, how would we know which is the real color... maybe only a person who have his eyeball changed would know the difference...

nothing is the absolute truth, and nothing is absolute wrong... real to you maybe real to me, or not... depending on situation.
 

Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#17
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
if i ask u... using the same reply as before... how would u know that the real red you see is the real red seen with the person having brown eyes, blue eyes or green eyes?
You still don't get the question. It has nothing to do with individual perception, but the physiological response of the cones.

To formulate the problem mathematically:

Let A and B be different spectral distributions that result in the same colour (i.e. tristimulus) for the average observer. (The fact that completely different spectral distributions look the same is known as metamerism and is the primary reason why colour photography/printing with a fixed small number of primary colours works at all.)

Then, do A and B also look indistinguishable to someone who is colour blind?
 

Jul 22, 2003
436
0
0
41
Visit site
#18
LittleWolf said:
Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but I was wondering what "natural colour" photos (made by others) look like to you. Do they look natural (i.e. like the real scene), or do they have weird casts?
I came across this website a couple of months ago during my research into web technologies and HCI. It simulates the effect of colour blindness.

http://colorfilter.wickline.org/

knock urself out ;)
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#19
LittleWolf said:
You still don't get the question. It has nothing to do with individual perception, but the physiological response of the cones.

To formulate the problem mathematically:

Let A and B be different spectral distributions that result in the same colour (i.e. tristimulus) for the average observer. (The fact that completely different spectral distributions look the same is known as metamerism and is the primary reason why colour photography/printing with a fixed small number of primary colours works at all.)

Then, do A and B also look indistinguishable to someone who is colour blind?
sometimes i do wonder... you ask me a question but it seems so hard to understand... can make it in simple english?
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#20
darrelchia said:
I came across this website a couple of months ago during my research into web technologies and HCI. It simulates the effect of colour blindness.

http://colorfilter.wickline.org/

knock urself out ;)
crap leh... if i got color blind... then i should see both screen having the exact same color rite... how come i see a difference between them? :angry:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom