Help, I'm back in the film world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
Just like Alice through the looking glass, I found myself the owner of a second hand EOS 50. Wow. The view with the fisheye lens is amazing! It's also got a very nice infrared AF assist lamp and the AF points light up in red, just like the D60!

Now I find myself trying to understand what the different films are for. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Press 800 for those night shoots. And maybe Tri-X400. I'm trying to say no to slides at the moment, but it's probably only a matter of time.

I'm thinking of going Ckiang's way and have the lab scan negatives directly onto CDROM. Do any labs simply develop negatives without printing or scanning (so that I can cheapskate scan the negatives myself...)?

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I'm thinking of going Ckiang's way and have the lab scan negatives directly onto CDROM. Do any labs simply develop negatives without printing or scanning (so that I can cheapskate scan the negatives myself...)?

yes, definitely. cost about $3.50 only.

is there a lab that charges develop + scan cheaper than develop + print? if there is, then i'm going to abandon print to minimise waste of space in my rubbish bin.

Just like Alice through the looking glass, I found myself the owner of a second hand EOS 50. Wow. The view with the fisheye lens is amazing! It's also got a very nice infrared AF assist lamp and the AF points light up in red, just like the D60!

Now I find myself trying to understand what the different films are for. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Press 800 for those night shoots. And maybe Tri-X400. I'm trying to say no to slides at the moment, but it's probably only a matter of time.

How much did u get the EOS 50 for?

I'm sure thats just Canon marketing hype, Alice probably had a Leica. Hmm first Darren 'reuses' his F5, now this.... ;)

Just like Alice through the looking glass, I found myself the owner of a second hand EOS 50.

Muahahaha...welcome! I wish you can see the 'Chershire' grin on my face... :D

Aiya...I can supply you with a roll of Velvia to kick start your (mis)adventure into the world of slides! :angel:

Originally posted by reny

yes, definitely. cost about $3.50 only.

is there a lab that charges develop + scan cheaper than develop + print? if there is, then i'm going to abandon print to minimise waste of space in my rubbish bin.

Colour Lab: Develop + Scan = $13.50

Regards
CK

Originally posted by erwinx
I'm sure thats just Canon marketing hype, Alice probably had a Leica. Hmm first Darren 'reuses' his F5, now this.... ;)

Strange, strange. What is the world coming to? First we have red dawn almost abandoning the D30 for a 1V, the Darren, then Streetshooter....

Regards
CK

That's a good way if you want to shoot negs. Otherwise, if you don't even want to scan, then shoot slides. Way cheaper. I shot 11 rolls of slides in my trip to Jiu Zhai Gou. Processing and mounting the slides cost me ~$90. Imagine if I shot negs and printed everyone....

Of coz, I want them in my computer, so I selected 60 pieces, sent to FotoHub for scanning at 3072 x 2048 (16-Base) at $1.80 each, and that cost $108. Ouch.

Regards
CK

Regards
CK

Originally posted by erwinx

oh darren reusing his F5? interesting ;p
i, too found myself using film simply cos i like the wide angles.....

i heard the Queen of Hearts actually favour a Contax G2........

and with all the bad blood between Leica fanatics and Contax fundamentalists, no wonder Alice and the Queen don't get along........

Originally posted by ckiang

Strange, strange. What is the world coming to? First we have red dawn almost abandoning the D30 for a 1V, the Darren, then Streetshooter....

Regards
CK
oh no, i don't want another digital vs analog thread to start again.

/me pray hard.

Originally posted by Red Dawn

oh darren reusing his F5? interesting ;p
i, too found myself using film simply cos i like the wide angles.....

i heard the Queen of Hearts actually favour a Contax G2........

and with all the bad blood between Leica fanatics and Contax fundamentalists, no wonder Alice and the Queen don't get along........

Huh? I always thought Alice is an ardent fan of the svelte Ricoh GR1V....

Regards
CK

Huh? I always thought Alice is an ardent fan of the svelte Ricoh GR1V....

nah....she'll take an Elmarit 28mm f2.8 lens with an m6 anytime over the Ricoh.....she likes the quietness of a Leica....it allows her to sneak past those guards in the garden.....

for my case, i think it's the wide angles. it's addictive.

Not that u can't achieve wide angles with a D30, just that there's something different about using a 35mm lens with a 35mm focal length and using a 20mm lens masquerading as a 32mm lens....(whether it's a Sigma, Canon or Nikon 20mm) - the quality is definitely different - the ultra wides aren't going to have better image quality than a well constructed fast f2 (or even f1.4) 35mm.......

just like there's a difference between using a Tamron 14mm or a Sigma 14mm or a Canon 14mm masquerading as a 20mm lens on a digital body verus a true well made 20mm lens on a film body. The flare is horrible with 14mm ultrawides...........

Most DSLRs has what is called a 'telephoto' effect.
The larger the CCD, the smaller/lesser the 'telephoto' effect.

Canon EOS-1D : 1.3X (large CCD image sensor)
Canon EOS D60 : 1.6X (comparatively smaller CCD image sensor)
Kodak DCS 760/720x : 1.3X and 1.6X respectively
Nikon D1x/D1H/D100 : 1.5X
Sigma SD9 : 1.7X

enjoy!

Originally posted by Red Dawn

for my case, i think it's the wide angles. it's addictive.

Not that u can't achieve wide angles with a D30, just that there's something different about using a 35mm lens with a 35mm focal length and using a 20mm lens masquerading as a 32mm lens....(whether it's a Sigma, Canon or Nikon 20mm) - the quality is definitely different - the ultra wides aren't going to have better image quality than a well constructed fast f2 (or even f1.4) 35mm.......

just like there's a difference between using a Tamron 14mm or a Sigma 14mm or a Canon 14mm masquerading as a 20mm lens on a digital body verus a true well made 20mm lens on a film body. The flare is horrible with 14mm ultrawides...........

I'll just look at the film body as an accessory for my wide lenses, and continue using the D30 for all my "normal" shots. Don't think I could bear shooting film using the 70-200.

This way I don't have to change lenses if I want to change from telephoto to wide angle. Just change camera.

I'll just look at the film body as an accessory for my wide lenses, and continue using the D30 for all my "normal" shots. Don't think I could bear shooting film using the 70-200.

This way I don't have to change lenses if I want to change from telephoto to wide angle. Just change camera.

:eek: What the....

Why can't these CCD makers make a 35mm sized sensor??

Advantages:

1. Super high resolution if used with today's super dense arrays
2. No more narrow angle complains. :)

It's interesting to note how 21st century newbies (<3 yrs experience) into photography start out with digital and then switch or complement with films. I somewhat notice those who argued their purchase of the DSLR so vehemently in the past, and defended about how digital is as good as if not better than films seem to be more silent these days.

I was just joking with colleagues the other day in 10 years' time, I'm not sure if the younger generation appreciate films as it was many years back. Out of 5 colleagues who owned a camera, 2-3 are of digital. Small, lightweight, fun, sharp and instant.

But I didn't realize thus far that some pple like Red D and Street Shooter switch to films simply bcos they wanted the wide angle more than anything else. Wow, that sounds very costly to me.
But why not, if you have the $$$ to spare.

IMHO, there is certainly more kick out of shooting with films as you really are conscious about how or when you press that button. Of cos, this could be seen as either an advantage or disadvantage. Also, when you travel, there's nothing like buying loads of films and not worry about the costs of CF cards.

I also switch from digital -> slides (i still keep my digital to shoot for web). Shooting slides is very addictive and you will get some results you didn't expect to get from digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.