bent

Dec 23, 2004
i am using a nikon d40 kit lens

and the pix turn out like tt:

dsc0141abt4.jpg

dsc0178aae3.jpg

wat shud i do? how to clean?

Sure it's not the sensor?

try to use a blower,should be a dust on your ccd.

It could be the lens... it could be the sensor... so let's try to see which is it... but whichever... take it down to NSC to get things cleaned up. If it is the sensor, and the camera is still under warranty, it would be free. But if warranty has expired... then it'll be $25+GST.

Troubleshooting:

Go to aperture mode and shoot a blank wall with different apertures. If the "line" you see is the same in all your shots, it could be dust on the sensor. If the "line" you see disappears or becomes not so clear at different apertures, it could be dust in the lens.

Try it out and see what the results are... but just based on the 2 pics I see, one picture has a clear "line" while the other was faint... it looks like a lens problem. Check the EXIF info of these 2 pictures if they were taken at the same aperture.

To check the lens, remove the lens form the body, remove the lens cap, and open to the biggest aperture. Because this is a G lens, what you do is to pull the lever at the end which fits to the body, and you will see the aperture open.

Put the lens in the light and see if you can find the dust. Try to clean both the front and back with a blower + lens cloth, if the dust is external. Use a good lens cloth (like from 3M) because some lens cloths I've used sheds threads and get stuck to the lens *yucks*.

If the dust is internal... nothing much you can do about it... but send it to NSC...

Hope this helps.

I think it's your sensor, blow it off or send it to service center, alternatively put it in the washing machine. Come out sure Squeaky clean. :bsmilie:

Most likely it's dust on the CCD image sensor on the camera.

The spot becomes much more apparent in the first picture where F/25 was used and less apparent in the 2nd picture where F/8 was used. Dust spots appears more defined on pictures with smaller apertures and are very apparent with apertures smaller than F/16.

The only way to find out is to use another lens.

looks like dust on ccd, hrmph
like small hair or fibre

learn how to clean yourself eventually, just a bit of balls can already <3

bring to nikon service centre for free sensor cleaning if your cam is still under warranty. Unlimited cleans :D

thanks guys for all your help...will try the suggestions above..

and i just bought the cam at comex...so yes, it will be udner warranty.

:)

It could be the lens... it could be the sensor... so let's try to see which is it... but whichever... take it down to NSC to get things cleaned up. If it is the sensor, and the camera is still under warranty, it would be free. But if warranty has expired... then it'll be $25+GST.

Troubleshooting:

Go to aperture mode and shoot a blank wall with different apertures. If the "line" you see is the same in all your shots, it could be dust on the sensor. If the "line" you see disappears or becomes not so clear at different apertures, it could be dust in the lens.

Try it out and see what the results are... but just based on the 2 pics I see, one picture has a clear "line" while the other was faint... it looks like a lens problem. Check the EXIF info of these 2 pictures if they were taken at the same aperture.
hi

i tried your method and these are the results:

tndsc0192fo0.jpg

tndsc0188hf5.jpg

tndsc0189co3.jpg

tndsc0190xv5.jpg

tndsc0191pu6.jpg

the squiggly lines are still there, though at different darkness/thickness at diff apertures
i reckon it's dirt on the sensor and that i shud send it down for servicing

approx how long does it take for it to be serviced? it can be done on the spot right?

If the cam is under warranty, cleaning is free at NSC.

it should take about 20 mins... ;)

hi

i tried your method and these are the results:

--- removed images ---

the squiggly lines are still there, though at different darkness/thickness at diff apertures
i reckon it's dirt on the sensor and that i shud send it down for servicing

approx how long does it take for it to be serviced? it can be done on the spot right?

hmmm... it could be in the lens. Did you take the lens out and look through the light and see if there is dust in it?

you can send it down to NSC for cleaning of the sensor. it is free under warranty, so you just have to wait there till they call your number again.

if it is the lens, i'm not sure whether it is free as i've not inquired before.

Does your cam have 'sensor cleaning' mode? Check your manual first? (I not Nikon user)

It locks-up your mirror, gives you access to the sensor..
Can see if dust/fibre on sensor or embedded in it (worst case)..

A few puffs of blower should clear it..
Send to service centre if you unsure wat to do..

Just my say.. :)

Its the sensor. Bring down to Nikon Service Centre

If not learn to clean the sensor yourself, it is very simple see this. I have been doing it all the time

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=274420

But I do not buy the swap, I make one but cutting a strip of the plastic from my expired credit card or bus card etc.

d40 d50 d70/s does not have any sensor cleaning..

whats a blower?

d40 d50 d70/s does not have any sensor cleaning..

D70 dun have sensor cleaning mode?
I rem setting the mode and locking the mirror to clean my gf's D70 last month..
(I shoot Canon, so dun know abt other Nikon models..)

Hmm.. misunderstanding on nomenclature? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.