Help! I need advice on colours..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noretta10

Aug 24, 2008
www.colourshots.multiply.com
I have a question..

I am keen to learn more about photography to improve myself..so i need some advice..

I do receive some constructive comments bout my pics being flat (the colours).. :embrass:

I am wondering, how do I have good quality colours in my photos, is it the editing that I need to improve on.. or is it the camera settings?? :dunno:

Since this was my first photomarathon, it was an eye opener for me.. I was amazed by what photographers can do (even students) without any editing... Those are the shots I really admire..

BTW: Congrats to all the winners of the photomarathon 2008.. You GUYS ROCK~!!! yEARGH!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers,
Noretta

Getting the exposure right it one of the main key.

And I would suggest increasing the saturation and contrast in camera to give that slight edge.

Just to add on to the wise words that Zac shared, getting the exposure correct is only one portion of the equation.

You have to look at the subject, and balances as well. Sometimes, you need to over-expose, and sometimes, under to get optimal results.

Other things you could do, later on, and depending on how much one wants to learn, is to understand light and colours in photography, how to read the different colour channels in your histogram in conjunction to the luminance histogram, and use that information in co-relation to the LCD and how to tweak the highly customizable WB settings in most modern DSLRs.

It may sound complicated, but it isn't if you take it step by step from the beginning. ;)

Last edited:
if you are talking of colors without post processing

- take care not to overexpose the photos
- play with camera saturation levels
- learn when a circular polarizer is useful to increase saturation, and how to use it properly.
- try to shoor from angles where direct light reflections don't intefere with colors.
- when possible, as in portraits, move the subject to less harsh light

Last edited:
if you are talking of colors without post processing

- take care not to overexpose the photos
- play with camera saturation levels
- learn when a circular polarizer is useful to increase saturation, and how to use it properly.
- try to shoor from angles where direct light reflections don't intefere with colors.
- when possible, as in portraits, move the subject to less harsh light

:thumbsup:

I would add: Something a lot of people don't think much about - use a really effective lens-hood whenever posible. Most supplied hoods are too conservatively made to be optimally effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.