Help! I accidentally drop my DSLR!

beebeeice

Aug 14, 2010
Serangoon
Hello guys!!

OMG.. I totally owned myself.. The Camera Strap was around my hand and it caught on something while i was walking and then the force caused me to drop my cam..

To the main problem now. Nothing was damaged but, the "rim" of the lens filter is dented and i cant get it out. and it seems like it went deeper into the thread.

What can i do? Or who do i look for to solve this?

And, this may not be related but.. After the drop, i realised that when i fully zoom using my 18-135mm lens, it cant focus on very far objects.. Does it have anything to do with the drop or is it normal?

you need to send to NSC to get it repair . . . :cry:

I can sense your heart pain . . . my camcorder dropped from a merry-go-around few years back. I out it on the floor of the cart and there is a hole in front . . . :(

Wah, did it bounce? sorry, bad joke but had to say it anyway ;p

Yup, send to NSC and see how, if you have already registered the warranty, should be ok lah.

BTW, why did you carry the strap by hand? Hand strap or neck strap?

Last edited:
Hello guys!!

OMG.. I totally owned myself.. The Camera Strap was around my hand and it caught on something while i was walking and then the force caused me to drop my cam..

To the main problem now. Nothing was damaged but, the "rim" of the lens filter is dented and i cant get it out. and it seems like it went deeper into the thread.

And, this may not be related but.. After the drop, i realised that when i fully zoom using my 18-135mm lens, it cant focus on very far objects.. Does it have anything to do with the drop or is it normal?

aww.. my suggestion is to send it for repair..

NSC? Whats that? But the Lens Filter is not from Canon.. so i dont think they will help me..

and be prepared to pay a hefty bill for it =/ damages caused by dropping are not covered by warranty..

NSC? Whats that? But the Lens Filter is not from Canon.. so i dont think they will help me..

NSC = nikon service centre

i guess ur camera's brand is canon judgin from ur post. so it shld be CSC instead, n CSC = canon service centre

btw, it doesnt matter wad filter u r using.

Last edited:

You are using a Canon dslr izzit? NSC is Nikon Service Centre. For Canon, you have to check where lah coz I dont know.:confused:

Cheers and all the best for your cam! :)

Ops . . . sorry.

Should be Canon Service Centre. :)

I doubt warranty will cover such 'accident', anyway you just have to send to service centre to have it repaired.

The stuck filter can be taken out using a filter wrench or other DIY methods. u can google for that.

for the focusing problem, do a few more test to verify the existence of the problem. if its confirmed, u need to drop by the service centre. However, u need not highlight to them that you drop the lens. :bsmilie: if there is no sign for drop at all.

ouch buddy, hopefully you are loaded enough for the repairs.

all the best man.

:bheart::bheart::bheart::bheart:

haha ok thanks guys.. I will try to take out the filter DIY as careful as possible..

And about the Focus thing.. i think it has to do with the Lens right? Cause when it is at maximum focal length, it cant focus too far.. like very far..

Wah, did it bounce? sorry, bad joke but had to say it anyway ;p

Yup, send to NSC and see how, if you have already registered the warranty, should be ok lah.

BTW, why did you carry the strap by hand? Hand strap or neck strap?

Firstly TS is using Canon, so it is CSC not NSC.

And for any SC, if they conclude the damage is from a drop, (which can easily be seen in this case, dented rim), it will not be covered under warranty.

haha ok thanks guys.. I will try to take out the filter DIY as careful as possible..

And about the Focus thing.. i think it has to do with the Lens right? Cause when it is at maximum focal length, it cant focus too far.. like very far..

Yes. if you are not able to focus on infinity, there is a problem with the lens, and if it was working before the drop, yes the impact from the drop caused it.

Best to bring it in for repair. Be prepared to pay for it, since drops are not covered by warranty.

Hello guys!!

The only choice left is to send it to "Canon Service Centre" to get it repaired. Since dropping it is not covered in the warranty, be prepared to pay for it. If the repair cost about the same price as getting it new then it is advisable to replace with a new one otherwise be prepared to use a limping equipment until you decided you buy a new model. :cool:

The only choice left is to send it to "Canon Service Centre" to get it repaired. Since dropping it is not covered in the warranty, be prepared to pay for it. If the repair cost about the same price as getting it new then it is advisable to replace with a new one otherwise be prepared to use a limping equipment until you decided you buy a new model. :cool:

Or TS can opt for alternative repair establishments, which many of us depend on a lot.

Hi TS,

IF its just the filter thead portion, then its not an expensive mistake.

My buddy once dropped a L lens from more then 1 meter height and continued rolled down the stairs... Filter thread area was out of shape till the lens cap couldnt even be put on let alone putting on a filter...

CSC changed that portion that was out of shape and cost about 120 dollars...

Its been couple of yrs now and he is still using it.... :)

Hi TS,

IF its just the filter thead portion, then its not an expensive mistake.

My buddy once dropped a L lens from more then 1 meter height and continued rolled down the stairs... Filter thread area was out of shape till the lens cap couldnt even be put on let alone putting on a filter...

CSC changed that portion that was out of shape and cost about 120 dollars...

Its been couple of yrs now and he is still using it.... :)

Depends on the lens construction. If that part is just a small part, then it is ok. Some lens, that front thread is connected to the entire barrel. Then you are screwed.

Woo! I finally took out the Lens Filter! Nothing is wrong with the filter thread.. now the problem is i think the lens (glass part) shifted in..

Like now, when i hold the lens to my eye level, the glass part seems to be slanted..

67718_451953784517_810204517_5174111_7782458_n.jpg

71530_451953279517_810204517_5174087_4150485_n.jpg

The body is totally fine though..

Is there anyone i can go to that can fix the lens? Other than CSC.. Cause the lens just shifted. I know that there is a way to disassemble it and put it back again..

hi Beebeeice,

If you dont wish to go down to Harbourfront/Vivo area, u might try asking this guy working at this shop

http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~lns/

or u can also try to PM fatigue (but i think he has too many repair cases on hand =) )