Help! How to remove filter stuck on lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sti2300

Jun 10, 2004
I have 62mm UV filter stuck on the thread of the lens. 60% of the thread seated properly into the thread with the remaining opening a gap of about 1.5mm at max point. (May be missed by a thread pitch)

The filter will not move at all (in any direction) not matter how hard I tried to turn it.

I thought of using a diamond cutter to cut the filter glass and follow by breaking it. Then I will compress the filter ring at opposite ends to deform the ring to remove it.

It there any better way or more constructive method? Please advise.

Thanks

Try a jar opener. Don't know if they have them in Singapore. These are large clamps with a rubberized grip.

Or, wrap a rubber band around the filter, put a cloth on it to increase your grip, and then try to pry it off.

Or, dip the filter into hot water. The heat will expand the metal. While it is hot, put a cloth over the filter and wrench it off.

Thanks for all advises.

I just called cathay but they dont sell. But the salesman was nice to introduce me, David of P & G at adelphi (located at basement).

Even better offer was that David mentioned he will do it for free in the call. Will bring down to him to try to remove it.

Thanks again.

Try this. Use two cables to wrap round the lens and filter to secure your grip then turn in opposite directions. (Make sure you are turning them in the correct directions). If the filter doesn't bite in too much, you may have a chance of removing it. ;)

use a fat rubber band and secure it on the filter... twist. ;)

Grip hard on the lens, press the filter against a car tyre, and twist.

tie a SAF black rubber band on the filter and turn. we all serve SAF isnt it? so there will be one laying around :)

Thanks again. Tried most suggestions still cant get it off (dont even move abit). Guess got to seek some helps from camera repair man.

Adiemus said:
use a fat rubber band and secure it on the filter... twist. ;)
had filter stuck to the screw on hood..

and found a new use for my LiveStrong bands :bsmilie:

The filter's stuck on the lens.

Heating THE FILTER will only cause it to EXPAND, making it even harder to turn it!

On the contrary, you should dip the filter ring in ice water to make it CONTRACT (since it is not a very wise move to try and heat the lens!), then very quickly wipe off dampness and use whatever methods mentioned above to get a secure grip on BOTH the lens and filter and TWIST.

OOPS, sorry ... forgot to add. instead of using rubber bands etc, use double sided sticky tape to line the outer circumference of BOTH the filter and the lens barrel. Make sure all surfaces are oil and gunk free, including your hands.

DS Sticky tape gives you a MUCH MUCH more higher degree of grip than any form of rubber. I've used this method to unscrew gun barrels from receivers before without having to use a vice ... takes a bit of effort, but it works!

Feinwerkbau said:
The filter's stuck on the lens.

Heating THE FILTER will only cause it to EXPAND, making it even harder to turn it!

On the contrary, you should dip the filter ring in ice water to make it CONTRACT (since it is not a very wise move to try and heat the lens!),

Hehe....i do not get you. Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Or try WD40? Don't know if it's detrimental to the filter paint or what....

:sweat:
Remember the thread of a filter is inside the lens (unlike a jar, the cap is outside) , if you heat it, the filter will expand and push harder against the lens, making it harder to remove...

So you shoulf cool the filter, not heat it...

Flare said:
:sweat:
Remember the thread of a filter is inside the lens (unlike a jar, the cap is outside) , if you heat it, the filter will expand and push harder against the lens, making it harder to remove...

So you shoulf cool the filter, not heat it...
Oh yeah, that's correct. It's the opposite for filters.

2100 said:
Oh yeah, that's correct. It's the opposite for filters.
if you cannot remove use it as paper weight or throw it away

sti2300 said:
I have 62mm UV filter stuck on the thread of the lens. 60% of the thread seated properly into the thread with the remaining opening a gap of about 1.5mm at max point. (May be missed by a thread pitch)

The filter will not move at all (in any direction) not matter how hard I tried to turn it.

I thought of using a diamond cutter to cut the filter glass and follow by breaking it. Then I will compress the filter ring at opposite ends to deform the ring to remove it.

It there any better way or more constructive method? Please advise.

Thanks

I had the same problem with a filter on my lens and I bought a set of filter wrenches. You can get them from http://www.thecamerahunter.com he has two sizes, below 62 and 62 and above. They work great. I had my filter off about 10 seconds after I got the wrench in the mail. The wrenches are plastic so will not damage lens or filter.

Once I have similar problem, which is my step up ring got stuck to my lens.. I tried for a long time but cannot remove.. then finally one day.. i tried one method.. put a piece paper onto my step up ring.. put a filter onto the ring and scew it tight.. then i try turning and finally managed to take out the step up ring together with the filter.. then i just tear the paper bit by bit and seperate the ring and the filter.. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.