HELP! how do I get a 18megabyte file from a 6MP D70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzoom

May 12, 2004
town
Hi u guys,
got a problem here. My D70 takes 6mp pics which at the highest res in JPEG opens into a max of 3megabyte (MB). This is clearly not sufficient for blowing up into an A2 or A1 size print. I read of people shooting at 6mp and getting 18MB files - isit by saving in TIFF? The D70 cant save in that. It can do a RAW file but even that can only manage a 5MB file. Basically, the print shops require a large file size if u want a poster size print from them....and they tell me my puny pathetic 3MB files from the D70 will look like a supergrainy "mistake" if I attempt an A2... :cry: :cry:

will really appreciate some help here from u guys! :)

If you not shooting at raw, make sure your image quality is at 'fine' and image size is at 'L'.

u can always try medium format if u wan high quality for A1 size... :devil:

else try shooting in raw then save to tiff, but dun think it'll be that much difference with using the raw

shoot raw and convert to uncompressed 24 bit bmp. you'll get 18 megabytes. Anyway, why is a 3MB file clearly not enough for A1/A0? You tried or guessed?

mpenza said:
shoot raw and convert to uncompressed 24 bit bmp. you'll get 18 megabytes. Anyway, why is a 3MB file clearly not enough for A1/A0? You tried or guessed?

Yah lor... I blew up a pic for someone once to A1... and the picture was taken on a Nikon Coolpix995.. and that cam can only handle 3.34Mpix

show you proof:

blown up to A1

hangyong said:
Yah lor... I blew up a pic for someone once to A1... and the picture was taken on a Nikon Coolpix995.. and that cam can only handle 3.34Mpix

show you proof:

blown up to A1

Er frankly it looks ok... i cant really see the grain

Sell away and get 1Ds if you need the resolution? :D

i am not sure abt D70, but for Canon 10D, RAW file are loselessly compressed, i get about 4+ to 6MB for RAW file too, after i convert to TIFF i will get 18MB. If i save as jpeg (large, fine), the file size can be as small as 2+MB too.

All these are because of the compression, depends on what you shoot, a more complex scene will results in larger file size. Try take a completely white frame and u will know why

mpenza said:

sorry for asking this (it may sound silly to you guys who are pros) but:
how do I convert my RAW file to uncompressed 24bit bmp? wat software do I need?

and btw, this fairly pro shop in raffles place which does huge prints told me a 3MB file is not enuf ..........they showed me some of their clients work..they took on slides or MF and drum scanned it...sounds terribly complicated.

Wai said:

i am not sure abt D70, but for Canon 10D, RAW file are loselessly compressed, i get about 4+ to 6MB for RAW file too, after i convert to TIFF i will get 18MB. If i save as jpeg (large, fine), the file size can be as small as 2+MB too.

All these are because of the compression, depends on what you shoot, a more complex scene will results in larger file size. Try take a completely white frame and u will know why
hey man, I have been eyeing the IDs and the ID Mk II too! if i strike TOTO sure i will rush out to get them.....but looks like I have to stick with my D70 for now...

Wai said:

thanks for ur reply! :) but how do u convert to TIFF? does your 10D give this option? the nikon doesnt...sob. yes I do know that the size of the file depends on the type of image but even for supercomplicated scenes, the D70 can go up to only about 3MB and that is at max res.

you are obviously not using yur cam right.

1. shoot in raw
2. nikon raw conversion software should help you convert it to tiff.

you can always send to one of the nikonian around here to help you with it.

Your JPEG image size is not the true size because of the compression.

If you open up the image in Photoshop, and see what's the document size is:

size.png

The example above is the native 4.1MP L JPEG from a 1D: 1.57MB in actual file size but it's about 11.6MB uncompressed.

D70's 6MP so the file size is much more, in fact I just looked at an old D60 file I have... it about 15.8MB uncompressed.

hi all, you seem to be confused between MB (file size) and MP (pixel count). the two are not directly corresponding to each other, i.e. a 6MPixel file is not 6MB in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.