Help Help!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatanic

Aug 9, 2007
Hi people i'm desperate need of help... I would like to transfers pictures taken by canon 20D but only some of the photo are available in the PC. The other pictures can be seen in the camera but when i connect my cam to the PC, It only show less than a quarter of my picture... How do i get the rest of the photos in the com... please please help.... I need to return it to my frend by later..... please please.... help!!!

how about reading the mem card using a card reader? :think:

that's the problem i do not have a card reader.... haiz... my pictures are all gone to waste....

Yes, or you could connect the camera to PC, and at My Computer of PC, explore the drive that corresponds to your camera, and try viewing/copying the files manually to your hard disk.

still can't find anything.... I even try out hidden files but still nothing....

was it shot in RAW? maybe ur pc doesnt have a software that reads it?

YEAH!!! that the main problem actually.... I called up some friends who manage to came down to my house and helped me out.... He told me most of my pictures were shoot in RAW..... And my PC can't read any RAW files.... I'm not sure what he did to the camera but when he connect it to the computer he manage to transfer all the RAW file into my computer....... So my pictures are now safe... hehehe... btw thanks guys for all ur help.. appreciate it.....

Ouh ya one more thing.. now that my RAW files are in my computer how do i open it and resize it and stuff cause my friend told me that RAW files are much bigger than JPEG.... How do I go about handling this situation....

Use a program that can read raw files like photoshop with raw plugin, or lightroom.

those are what i use so i don't know about other software that you can use to convert raws to jpeg. If i'm not wrong there's Bibble, CaptureOne, Aperture among others.

Btw why are you shooting in raw if you don't know what raw is?

YEAH!!! that the main problem actually.... I called up some friends who manage to came down to my house and helped me out.... He told me most of my pictures were shoot in RAW..... And my PC can't read any RAW files.... I'm not sure what he did to the camera but when he connect it to the computer he manage to transfer all the RAW file into my computer....... So my pictures are now safe... hehehe... btw thanks guys for all ur help.. appreciate it.....

Ouh ya one more thing.. now that my RAW files are in my computer how do i open it and resize it and stuff cause my friend told me that RAW files are much bigger than JPEG.... How do I go about handling this situation....

u need a software that reads it like cs2 or cs3 with the adobe raw plugin. what camera are u using? your camera shld be bundled with software tat will allow u to convert it to jpeg. u shld shoot in jpeg if u dun do any PP.

Did you install the Canon CD ? You should install it as the installation includes EOS Viewer Utility which allow to view and convert RAW to jpg.

Btw why are you shooting in raw if you don't know what raw is?

Well.. actually i know what is RAW but not sure of how of how do i handled it... as from what I know, RAW files are uncompressed file and are much bigger compared to JPEG format files... The reason what I shoot in RAW was because i intend to send some pictures to my frend to photoshop it for me so wouldn't it be better in RAW..

Well.. actually i know what is RAW but not sure of how of how do i handled it... as from what I know, RAW files are uncompressed file and are much bigger compared to JPEG format files... The reason what I shoot in RAW was because i intend to send some pictures to my frend to photoshop it for me so wouldn't it be better in RAW..

yeah almost there. You shoot raw not just because it's bigger than jpeg :)dunno:). We all shoot raw because yes, they are uncompressed at either 12 or 14 bit, meaning more information (read: detail and dynamic range) is available for manipulation in photoshop.

If you've saved the file in raw mode when it is subsequently loaded into a raw conversion program and then saved to a TIFF or .PSD format file it can be exported in 16 bit mode. The 12 or 14 bits recorded by the camera are then spread over the full 16 bit workspace. If you've saved the file in-camera as a JPG than it is converted by the camera's software to 8 bit mode and you will only ever have 256 brightness levels to work with.

Reasons to Shoot JPG

— Files are smaller and therefore more of them fit on a card.

— For many applications image quality is more than sufficient (family snapshots, news images).

— Small files are more easily transmitted wirelessly and online. This is important to newspaper photographers.

— Many photographers don't have the time or inclination to post-process their files.

— Many cameras (especially digicams) can not shoot quickly when working in raw mode. Some lower-end models can't record raw files at all.

Reasons to Shoot Raw

— A raw file is comparable to the latent image contained in an exposed but undeveloped piece of film. It holds exactly what the imaging chip recorded. Nothing more. Nothing less. This means that the photographer is able to extract the maximum possible image quality, whether now or in the future. A good analogy with the traditional world of film is that you have the opportunity to use a different type of developer or development time at any point in the future if one comes along that you think might do a better job of processing the image.

— Raw files have not had while balance set. They are tagged with whatever the camera's setting was, (either that which was manually set or via auto-white-balance), but the actual data has not been changed. This allows one to set any colour temperature and white balance one wishes after the fact with no image degradation. It should be understood that once the file has been converted from the linear space and has had a gamma curve applied (such as in a JPG) white balance can no longer be properly done.

— File linearization and colour filter array (Bayer) conversion is done on a computer with a fast and powerful microprocessor. This allows much more sophisticated algorithms to be used than those done in a camera with its slower and less powerful processor and with less space for complex conversion programs.

— The raw file is tagged with contrast and saturation information as set in the camera by the user, but the actual image data has not been changed. The user is free to set these based on a per-image evaluation rather than use one or two generalized settings for all images taken.

— Possibly the biggest advantage of shooting raw is that one has a 16 bit image (post raw conversion) to work with. This means that the file has 65,536 levels to work with. This is opposed to a JPG file's 8 bit space with just 256 brightness levels available. This is important when editing an image, particularly if one is trying to open up shadows or alter brightness in any significant way.

at the end of the day, it really depends on what you want to process your photos for. If it's just slight tweaking of colors, adjusting saturation and contrast, you don't really need RAW. It is however a good practice to always shoot in RAW, just that it's a big hassle transferring a few gigs worth of photos and later converting them to jpeg again after processing.

hope that's helpful :D

Hey...

Thanks a lot... Really help me understand RAW and JPEG better..... I've learn a lot from this thread arising from small problems. Hehehe... Thanks peepee....

Status
Not open for further replies.