HELP!!! HELP!!! (urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuA

May 22, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I urgently need to print out 16" by 20" prints from the digital files that I have. These photos are taken using ISO 100 kodak print 35mm film and scanned in by consumer flat bed scanner.

Just a few urgent questions-forgive me as i am not used to the digital workflow...

1) What is the minimum resolution(dpi) i need to set for the scanning to achieve a 16 by 20 print???....is scanning by negative or the print better? if by neg, then what res?

2) Will the changing of resolution in the photoshop be the same as from the scanning? Will the changing in photoshop help??

3) Are there any labs that can do the printing within 1-2 days? cos i need the prints by next tue noon. I check from Colourlab at Adelphi and they need 4 days at $35 each. Are there cheaper places???

Really appreciate the experienced in the digital process for your expertise! Thanks so much in advance for the help!!!

35mm might be pushing it, it is only useful to scan in film if you've got dedicated film scanner, flat bed scanner scan in at highest possible OPTICAL resolution (i am asumming 4r prints) then resize it to 16X20 @ 300 dpi. if prints not meant to be viewed so close can consider lower res.

you are doing photo prints? have you considered printing off a large format printer?
(ie like a poster at A2 size) maybe cheaper...$20+ me thinks.

JoshuA said:
Hi, I urgently need to print out 16" by 20" prints from the digital files that I have. These photos are taken using ISO 100 kodak print 35mm film and scanned in by consumer flat bed scanner.

Just a few urgent questions-forgive me as i am not used to the digital workflow...

1) What is the minimum resolution(dpi) i need to set for the scanning to achieve a 16 by 20 print???....is scanning by negative or the print better? if by neg, then what res?

2) Will the changing of resolution in the photoshop be the same as from the scanning? Will the changing in photoshop help??

3) Are there any labs that can do the printing within 1-2 days? cos i need the prints by next tue noon. I check from Colourlab at Adelphi and they need 4 days at $35 each. Are there cheaper places???

Really appreciate the experienced in the digital process for your expertise! Thanks so much in advance for the help!!!

1) Minimum resolution for a 16x20 depends on the print out. Minilabs cannot go past 12x18in, so unless it's a lamda machine, a 16x20 print will most likely be from a large format inkjet.
With Inkjets, despite what the manufacturers claim, a 240dpi file will be enough. Film grain will tend to hide image softness.

2) Upsizing or interpolation in photoshop/scanner are probably similar. Make sure u scan at max optical resolution first though.

3) There are cheaper places. But they may use cheaper machines. It's up to you to decide if you prefer low prices over quality.Try Hotprint at China Square Central. They can do Film scan and large format prints. Turnaround time is usually within 3 working days.

thanks for the advice thus far...anyone heard of instantdigital near lau pa sat???not so sure of the prices but heard they can give the print the next day...

JoshuA said:
thanks for the advice thus far...anyone heard of instantdigital near lau pa sat???not so sure of the prices but heard they can give the print the next day...

Large format prints take more time for a few reasons.
There's a need for colour matching, and it's much easier to mess up an inkjet print. (clogged heads, finger mark on paper, scratches). Usually 3 working days in case they mess up the print. Actual production time is very short.

joshua,

hi. I do my own film scanning albeit not via a flat bed as the quality is not as good. Do you have the original negs? I can scan and print them (up to A3) for you at a fraction of the cost that outside shops charge.

Rgds

BiG BeRD

JoshuA said:

Many thanks to all the kind replies and the offer to help..

However, as i was tied for time, i already did my scanning and prints at Fotohub@ OUB centre.

I must say that the service there has been top-notch-one of the BEST i have encountered in the service sector..

Mr Chong, the senior lab technician, attended to me and he was very patient and professional in helping me with the prints.If there was a best service award-i would definitely vote for him! I would highly recommand this shop to those who wanna make high quality prints and personalised service!

josh may i know how much did you pay? 16x20 prints?

For those who may be interested:

Did call up a few shops and this is what i gathered, but you may wanna check them out as the waiting period for your prints may be different as like mine as Mr Chong kindly waived the extra express costs for me.

Fotohub(which i did mine at): $38 (usual 4 days but i got mine in one day at this price)
Colour lab @ Aldephi: $35 (4 days)
RGB : $53 (2 days)
Photoops at treasury building: $45(1 day)

But fotohub service still the best, as they give you the feeling that they want the best for your prints. Ever patient and knowlegdable

Mr Chong even sat down with me on my prints and check my resolution and quality before advising me on the printout. Though it may not be the cheapest(but i feel it is one of the cheapest), but their professionalism and dedication will almost ensure speedy and superb quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.