help! having problem with my canon eos 7d built in flash

crazy guy

Feb 21, 2010
:(Dear bros,

Need your advice here.

When I activate the built in flash, the view finder always indicate 'busy' and i just could not take any photo. This happen in every mode i switch to. when I depress the shutter half way ,the assist beam works but when fully depressed, 'busy' appear. What is the problem, is my camera faulty? The setting for the flash was enable. :(

sorry can't help you there.
Maybe it's to do with focusing... The focus assist lamp works, but does the camera achieve focus lock (there may or may not be a 'beep' to confirm AF lock)?
Maybe it's to do with your memory card.
Maybe it's to do with the flash not charged (capacitor circuit).

could be a number of reasons. Does the manual offer any clue what the 'busy' message is referring to?

Maybe your flash is charging/recycling.

Does it still show busy after say 1 or 2 minutes?

Dearl Bros,

Thanks for the advice, I managed to figure out the problem.

During the time when i intend to use the built in flash, the battery power were at approximately 30% or less. After i fully charge the battery, the flash can now operate but is this normal on all DSLR?

The recycle time will vary depending on the design of the flash and how much power the flash just finished outputting on the previous shot.

The time will also depend on the battery power available.

Is this your first DSLR? If so, you are brave, venturing into a semi-pro

You are also brave to post out of topic statement here

Dearl Bros,

Thanks for the advice, I managed to figure out the problem.

During the time when i intend to use the built in flash, the battery power were at approximately 30% or less. After i fully charge the battery, the flash can now operate but is this normal on all DSLR?

Roughly how long did the built-in flash take to recycle when your battery was about 30% ?
If about 2 or 3 seconds MAYBE it's normal..
but from what you described it seems like it took longer. That doesn't quite sound normal to me.

leowyien said:

This is also out of topic but what has buying a "semi-pro" camera straight away have anything to do with bravery? I thought it had only to do with affordability and willingness to carry a heavy camera/lens...

:thumbsup: Thank you TS for starting a useful thread and even more useful self-help that corrected the problem + sharing with us