Help! Hard drive

glgl96

Apr 16, 2010
Singapore, Singapore
Went to the pc fair. saw this hard drive 2tb at 209.90bucks. Offers to sell a data recovery software at 1dollar. But its this brand call astone. Anyone can tell it is it worth buying?
Any reviews on it? Will it crash easily?

would be difficult to tell if it crashes easily, eh? :)

Astone doesn't make hard drives. Only the cover is Astone-brand.
The harddisk is probably western digital or samsung or seagate, one of those...

2TB seems like a lot. I'm getting more worried about the harddisk media interfering with each other since they are likely to be really closely-packed.
But I don't work at a harddisk manufacturer, so have no idea what the internal designs are like nowadays with these huge-capacity monsters.

wat u mean by interfering wif each other? the brochure is messy. doesnt give more details. i see ovation. and WD.

there's a WD elements at the same price. was wonderin shld i get dat instead. or i shld get a smaller capacity harddrive.

there's a WD elements at the same price. was wonderin shld i get dat instead. or i shld get a smaller capacity harddrive.

huh. so messy:x usually i get liao just use. and just make sure got warranty with the respective company.:think: so long as the company is big like infineon, u can be sure when u got problem can always send to repair/change new one

wd got 3 years warranty. the other 'brandless' got 5 years warranty. maybe i don't know how to read the brochure. but the warranty doesn't cover data recovery. that's what i asked and found out. does anyone get 2TB? is it too big?

I have a 1.5TB Seagate, I get this brand because of the 5 yr warranty. To me, storage is never enough. There's so many video and photo to store. I'm waiting for the 3TB and 4TB to come out.

wow, giving data recovery software (for $1)...are they already predicting it's going to.....er!!

wd got 3 years warranty. the other 'brandless' got 5 years warranty. maybe i don't know how to read the brochure. but the warranty doesn't cover data recovery. that's what i asked and found out. does anyone get 2TB? is it too big?
i think usually warranty doesn't include data recovery...

and 5 years from a "no-brand" manufacturer, if they don't have support in Singapore, is like not having warranty at all, ya?

2TB seems excessive to me... hahaha :bsmilie:
but then again it seems like market demand is driving capacities higher and higher.

reading up more on the the brand ovation online makes me feels scare. too many negative comments. can't seem to find positive remarks. and yes. because they are offering the $1 recovery program does makes me feel worst cause i feel that its like going to crash so they sell it? plus the salesman tell mi its not 100% recovery.
i think i will give it a go for now. plus. with warranty. i really don't think it covers ANYTHING. so. when my computer can't take the load anymore then i will get one.

No data recovery software is going to help if the hardware doesn't work. Data recovery is only possibly useful IF the hardware is still working (say, you accidentally deleted some files or format the drive). Recovery software is more like safeguard against user error than hardware problem.

And.. HDD is never reliable for important data. If HDD is used for important data, make sure there's redundancy.

Last edited:
Hard disk recovery is not covered by warranty. YOU are responsible for YOUR own backup.

The most the company will do is to replace your faulty harddisk only. Data? If you have no backup, better get a few boxes of tissue cos you'll need them when you cry.

Hi TS,

I've got quite a few Astone brands external harddisks, 1 and 2 tb. All were working fine until there was a time (a few months) I stopped using the disk (because I've already backed up the data into them and left it there).

Recently, tried to access some of the backedup data and realise the PC doesn't recognise the harddisk (the 2 tb one). It keeps prompting me to format the disk...

I've tried on a couple of other laptops and same result- it doesn't recognise the disk. Now I have to hunt for some data recovery service and waste time and money, plus loss of privacy. As its still under warranty, I wanted to look for the astone manufacturer, but guess what? 2 problems: First of all, I don't know who to claim warranty from, 2ndly, the receipt that I have is those thermal receipt and all the 'ink' has vaporised, leaving me a receipt that looks like a blank piece of paper...

So, my advice is for bros who buy stuff with warranty, do scan and keep a copy of the receipt, because 1-5 years is a long time and I'm pretty sure thermal paper receipts would become blank by then, and most manufactureres are laughing because they know at least 80% of customers won't be claiming their warranty because of these reasons: don't know where to claim, and receipt lost/ ink disappeared, etc.

I suspect the problem could be due to the fact that I left the hard disk in the room: I should have kept all backup harddisks in some kind of dry box to prevent fungus and dust. Hope others can learn from my experience and benefit from it..

Westen D cannot make it..last 2 yrs old.... my seagate / quantum last longer.. the latter last 10 yrs still operating and running...

ninelives said:
Westen D cannot make it..last 2 yrs old.... my seagate / quantum last longer.. the latter last 10 yrs still operating and running...

Sometimes it's luck. I have used my western digital for close to 4 years now.

Out of my bunch of disks, wd are the most reliable and seagate are the worst, i have 3 of them failing at the same period 2 months ago, all have the same mtbf :(

Have many Seagate external drive and 1 Buffalo. So far all my drives are ok. Seagate generally can copy data faster than Buffalo.
Anyway the trick of storage is not to put all the eggs in one basket.
Have at least 2 or more copies of all your data in 2 or more different drives.
Storage is not cheap now but still cheaper than your camera or computer :)

8 years for my WD :p
You'll get a lot of yeas and nays for every manufacturer if you search around