Help.. Guide to purchase..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kervin13

Jan 20, 2009
ulu pandan
Newbie in photography, ever having nikon d60 for a while which i don't really satisfied with. So now i'd like to purchase another DSLR(both camera and lenses) with around S$5k budget.. what are the recommendations?
thx in advanced.

You want to use for what first?

What are your needs? What's your shooting style? Are you into portraits? Birding/wildlife? What?

And what are the things that you do not like about the D60? What are the features that are important to you?

Another question for your to ponder, are you happy with DX format or you intend to go FF in a short period.

If you are happy with DX format, D90, D300 are all good choices.(plus good DX lens that cover range from 12mm-200mm)

If you cant resist the FF format. Then, D700 seems to be the better choice.(for lens, I suggest you go with 24-70mm first ).At the end of the day, most people who bought D700 will also have 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm untimatlely.(大三元镜头).:)

I agree with Galdor. If you cannot answer what you dislike about D60, then it will be very difficult to decide on what to get next.

Do look into other possible reasons - camera (we all like to think so), lens (nearly always been blame, rightly or wrongly), composition (my main weakness), techniques (eg f/no, etc: basic but form the basis of photography), etc

Just remember... If your pictures are rubbish now, a better camera will just make them more expensive rubbish. Best to look into what you're lacking in terms of skill rather than hardware.

If, on the other hand, you're unsatisfied with actual hardware aspects such as no in-body lens motor or lackof AF points, etc, then you may have a good reason to upgrade.

Got it all planned out for you:

Nikon D300
Prime Lens: AF 85mm f1.4 or 135mm f2.0 Lens
Zoom Lens: AF 80- 200mm f2.8
Wide Lens: AF 14-24mm f2.8
Std Zoom: AF 24- 70mm f2.8
Micro: AF Micro 105mm f2.8
Flash: Nikon SB900
Remote Control
Filters
Additional Batteries
Tripod
Underwater casing
Drybox
Bag etc

Got spare change, get a Super Telelens: AF 300mm f2.8.

Should be able to take most of the 'regular' photos. :cool:
Though it may set you back very slightly more than $5k.

And get a Coolpix just in case.

thx all for the guidances..
yeah, feature that i dislike in d60 is lack of AF motor, currently it seems that i prefer to shot potrait, candid and street, and i also not intend to do business with it. I just simply love taking nice images.
For somebody new like me, will it be a wise choice to purchased a full frame camera?? or if i bought the d300, with 5k, what lense and accesories should i buy??
thx u so much for the time and guidances..

yeah, feature that i dislike in d60 is lack of AF motor, currently it seems that i prefer to shot potrait, candid and street, and i also not intend to do business with it. I just simply love taking nice images.
For somebody new like me, will it be a wise choice to purchased a full frame camera?? or if i bought the d300, with 5k, what lense and accesories should i buy??

d300 where got need $5k?! or has price increased that much since i last looked! :eek:

Lens and Accessories for Portriat and Street, any of the following, depending on how close/far you like to shoot the subjects from. If got $$$, get all:

Prime Lens: AF 85mm f1.4 or 135mm f2.0 Lens
Zoom Lens: AF 80- 200mm f2.8
Wide Lens: AF 14-24mm f2.8
Std Zoom: AF 24- 70mm f2.8

Flash: Nikon SB900
Remote Control
Filters
Additional Batteries
Tripod
Drybox
Bag etc

Again, if got spare change, get a Super Telelens: AF 300mm f2.8 - you hide far far also can take close up shots clear clear.

think if u just enjoy taking everyday picture and candid, you wouldnt want a camera too bulky and heavy, something light and easy to bring around and have AF motor build in.

if you agree to the above assessment I made, then D90 should suit you well, it got AF motor and yet not too heavy and bulky. low light performance of the D90 can assist in shooting long range, dark/indoor shots.

everyday scene and a 1 configuration fit most situation, a nikon 18-200 DX lens be good, good wide angle and good reach

then if u love to do those bokeh shots, its either prime lens with F1.4 or F1.8, go for 20/35 mm lens and if u shot from far then 85mm lens else a zoom lens with a constant F2.8 like nikon 17-55mm F2.8 or tamron 17-50mm F2.8

if u really need to extra reach then the 70-300mm VR be a low cost relative good IQ choice

all the above together should be around 5k

Just curious, since the reason to buy another camera body is because D60 lack AF motor, how does it affect photo taking and the result of the picture? If it is purely AF issue, I thought just buy AF-S lenses would have AF for your camera?

By the way, I am using Sony a350, not Nikon. So my understanding of camera capabilities is simply base on the published feature spec and notes on its usage.

What is the diff between AF-motor in body and AF on lens? Only diff I can think of is that some lens may not be compatible with the body and hence no AF but still usable in MF. However nowadays, most Nikon lens are AF anyway esp the more commonly used once. Even third party lens generally have AF lens which is compatible with Nikon/Canon body.

My feeling is invest in better lens rather than buy a body with features which you will not be likely to use but will pay for. This is just my view.

ic.. thx guys, all ur guidances help me on making my choice..
the reason beside lack of AF motor is that my D60 had been given as a present to somebody, so i'd like to purchased something which is better compare to it..
I think i'd go to shop and try both d90 and d300, and pick one that has a better feeling on my hand. Btw, i read that PMA will be at 3-5th of March, should i wait for it before i do a purchased? coz rumour indicates new cameras are goin to be launched so can the older 1 like d300 price will be reduced? and what store should i go to?
Sorry that i've lots of questions which sometime seems ridiculous, may be b'coz i'm an international student who lack of experience and knowledge about singapore..

if money is no problem, you might want to get the D300 over the D90....
also, it is a great idea to hold your purchases until PMA is over, there are unconfirmed rumors that D400 is going to be announced...
let's keep our fingers crossed. :)

Newbie in photography, ever having nikon d60 for a while which i don't really satisfied with. So now i'd like to purchase another DSLR(both camera and lenses) with around S$5k budget.. what are the recommendations?
thx in advanced.

get a d700. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

your pictures will make people go WOW after that.

haha.. yeah, d700 is an extremely good camera, but with my budget if i bought the d700 (around 3.7k), there are no sufficient money to buy good lens. still has to spare some for tripod,filter etc..
thx guys anyway, n dun forget to keep inform me if u guys hav new issues and information either on camera or oulet to purchased it.. appreciate..

Actually, even as a non Nikon user, I like the feel and I'm well impressed with the abilities of the D90 (yeah, a bit more is called "poisoned", and will change mounts... ROFL) - it's got a lot of features and has the speed and can take great looking photos, as well as nice videos - lots of fun, memories with sound etc. D300 and D700 are great cameras, but they are at different price brackets.

Anyways, with the D90, you'd be left with a lot more cash to buy other things - and I'm recommending that for the price point. 5K isn't a lot, and if you get the D300, you can't buy as many lenses, and with the D700, maybe just one or two lens - and maybe just one lens and some accessories...

haha.. yeah, d700 is an extremely good camera, but with my budget if i bought the d700 (around 3.7k), there are no sufficient money to buy good lens. still has to spare some for tripod,filter etc..
thx guys anyway, n dun forget to keep inform me if u guys hav new issues and information either on camera or oulet to purchased it.. appreciate..

An international student with S$5k to spend on a camera system sounds surreal but S'pore needs everyone of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.