Help Group Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevar

Apr 5, 2006
Dear Members, how do I go about to take a group photo of a mix of adults and kids comprising of 55 people at a outdoor situation I own a DSLR. Pls I would like to hear some advice and guidelines from some exprience DSLR owners, Thanks in advance!

55 people?

that needs serious org skills

more info on what you need to know
equipment you will be using
lighting situation
time of shoot
location of shoot

use prime lens and tripods.
find steps, arrange in four rows.
no steps, arrange them like football team, 3 rows max, first row sitting with leg crossed, second half kneeling, third row standing.
f5.6 and above.

Maybe I need to shoot inthe morning sunrise for more lighting or the evening sun! its an outdoor shoot, what should be the camera setting, if I am using a prime 50mm lens + flash support to fill in.Thanks.

thevar said:
Maybe I need to shoot inthe morning sunrise for more lighting or the evening sun! its an outdoor shoot, what should be the camera setting, if I am using a prime 50mm lens + flash support to fill in.Thanks.

you need to shoot a 12 persons wide of group shots with 50mm, do you know how much space you need? plus what flash you have? enough to light up the group from so far away?

The ideal setting is meter for the ambient, set you flash one stop under than the ambient (main light is the day light, flash as fill).

You have to reccee the site first to see how put position the group, try not to shoot back light or front light the subjects, if it is lower sun lights, it will be great to shoot with side light.

50mm for a group of 50, you need a lot of space, might need shoot from a distant.

catchlights said:
50mm for a group of 50, you need a lot of space, might need shoot from a distant.
Nor forgetting he needs to elevate himself as well...

catchlights said:
need helps from the ladders gang liao. :bsmilie:
Don't worry, they'll be more than glad to help, very sure they will stop people from cutting across infront of them too :thumbsup:

catchlights said:
you need to shoot a 12 persons wide of group shots with 50mm, do you know how much space you need? plus what flash you have? enough to light up the group from so far away?

Hi,its a open area, enough distance to cover,will the 50mm lens work? I have an FL 50 flash.
Thanks!

thevar said:
Hi,its a open area, enough distance to cover,will the 50mm lens work? I have an FL 50 flash.
Thanks!
50mm can work, but you have to shout louder to give instructions.

Lai, da jia kan che pian, yi, er, san, XIAO.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

thevar said:
Thanks!

Eh.. with a DSLR, it would be approximately 75mm already. How many ppl do you think you can fit in??

I would suggest that you either rent or loan a wider one at about 12 or 17mm so that you can get them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.