Help : Good location for Wedding Photography in Singapore

whitecastle

Jun 22, 2003
Central
Visit site
Hi all, I am asked by my boss to do a wedding shoot for his daughter. I am not a pro-photographer but would like to try it out. Any kind souls out there willing to share good locations for such shoots. If inconvenient, can PM me too. Thanks in advance.

Warning: just dont get fired by your boss if you dont do a good job.

Your boss sound so cheap unable to affordable a professional shooter to shoot her daughter? :p

Jokes aside, doing for your friend wedding is worse enough, doing for your boss is a disaster.

Unless you using this to take revenge..

Hi all, I am asked by my boss to do a wedding shoot for his daughter. I am not a pro-photographer but would like to try it out. Any kind souls out there willing to share good locations for such shoots. If inconvenient, can PM me too. Thanks in advance.

That is new giam ..arrow employee to shoot for daughter

A location that is not affect by ambient light condition and weather.... a good studio with good strobes....

Bukit Timah Saddle Club offers lush greenery and a rustic feel. Not sure if this is what u wanted.

Yeah, like everyone else, its something I would avoid unless I was reasonably confident with my abilities, and have done a few such shoots (even if for personal friends/family).

If you're doing this TFCD, make sure you make things clear with your boss and his daughter from the very start.
Be honest, let them know what you are capable of (and what you're not), set their expectations at the right level.

There can be a lot of preparation involved on the bride's side, makeup, dress changes, etc,. If at the end of the day, things don't turn out as expected, will she feel like it was a waste of time? Maybe you already have planned for all this, but if you have not, try thinking beyond "would like to try it out". All the best :)

seriously if you have not done this before, it is better to go to those fail-safe areas like botanic garden, Santosa, Fort Canning, so you won't get lost, chase by security guards, snakes, bees, searching high and low for good angles etc..

btw, if the couple can't take the heat or worry about weather, just go Changi Airport or Clark Quay.

Conflict of interests in place, I wouldn't do it even if I want it.

Photography tastes; one man's meat is another's poison.

Wedding photos are scrutinized by the couple, the parents, peers like friends and relatives.

As a real wedding photog you only have to satisfy the couple. You have control and clear responsibilities.

As an employee of the couple's parent, you also have to satisfy your boss, we all know that answering to two bosses could be an employee's nightmare. And now responsibilities are a bit muddled and mixed here.

Dont risk your main work and ricebowl. You only need one stupid remark or complaint from the daughter to tarnish your main career.

Conflict of interests in place, I wouldn't do it even if I want it.

Photography tastes; one man's meat is another's poison.

Wedding photos are scrutinized by the couple, the parents, peers like friends and relatives.

As a real wedding photog you only have to satisfy the couple. You have control and clear responsibilities.

As an employee of the couple's parent, you also have to satisfy your boss, we all know that answering to two bosses could be an employee's nightmare. And now responsibilities are a bit muddled and mixed here.

Dont risk your main work and ricebowl. You only need one stupid remark or complaint from the daughter to tarnish your main career.
I wouldn't do it even if I am paid.

The daughter will not hesitate to complain to her father (i.e. your boss) about anything she is not satisfied about you or your work. In fact I am sure there will be plenty for her to b!tch about since you are not an experienced professional. In the end, your boss will be left with the impression that you did not decline the assignment despite knowing that you are not competent / confident enough for it. Don't you think he will also be hesitant to assign you any important tasks at work in future?

In short: DON'T DO IT!

if you die die have to do it (if not replaced by FT!), pls have a frank talk with your boss that you are not a pro and helping out.

Lower their expectations first, then if you can deliver good results, they will be delighted!

Of coz, if you can, dont do it la, because the risk is that if you dont deliver on photography (which has no relation to your job), you look bad and bad bonus/increment will come haunting!

This really depands on what the couple have in mind.
Do they want wide open space ie nature? street look? garden? or maybe resort. Have a chat with the couple and see if they have any idea in mind but do have some location in mind to propose to them in case they have no ideas. You can start with the suggestion by CSer here IF you're confident shooting in the suggested location. Do bear in mind the comfort level of the location as some place will be hot without any shade.

Should you do it?

This is the millon dollar question (or worth at least you future in the compamy). Do a good job and you'll impress your boss, Not and you'll be in for a hard time working there.
The question you'll have to ask yourself is this:
How confident are you of doing this shoot
How will it affect you if the picture do not turn out as well as your boss's, his wife's or the couple's expectation?
Do you have the time to do it? Shoot maybe one day but post, DI, layout, design, artwork, print and produce the albume, not counting the amendments they want when you show them before printing.

How to get out of this sticky mess

Easy:

Clash of style
meet the couple, ask them what they have in mind and propose the direct opposit "Oh, you like nature har, I usually shoot street shots/building/nude models" :bigeyes:

Old school vs New school
If they have no idea, show them some old fashion style of pre wedding "I like those where the bride pose with the umberlla, very classic"

Hot under the collar
Let them know that because you don't normally shoot pre wedding, you'll need to take longer to shoot so they have to bear with being under the sun for a longer time, the shoot MAY drag over 2 days instead of one ( cost of rental for wedding gown/suit, make up, hair will X 2)

Can't do Arts
Tell them you can shoot but they will have to find someone to do the albume and DI and usually due to the cost and time spend looking for the it, they will just get a studio to package their shoot.

With the above they will auto reverse out of the shoot

Hope the above helps.

Last edited:
Tell them usually you shoot birds.. not humans :bsmilie: