help fungus in lens

hlkh78

Sep 20, 2010
hi all, i m new here
recently i found my lens got some small fungus in there, but photo are not affected even at F22
when i bring to service centre for service they told my it only few small fungus only and dont need to service cause not affect photo
and bring the lens to service only when photo affected

then i quickly get dry box from challanger and store my lens to stop fungus grown and also store my DSLR

help
any advice ?? i m confuse and lost

hi all, i m new here
recently i found my lens got some small fungus in there, but photo are not affected even at F22
when i bring to service centre for service they told my it only few small fungus only and dont need to service cause not affect photo

then i quickly get dry box from challanger and store my lens to stop fungus grown and also store my DSLR

help

Why didn't you insist to have the fungus removed? As long as you are paying for the servicing, I don't see how they can refuse to clean it for you.

Why didn't you insist to have the fungus removed? As long as you are paying for the servicing, I don't see how they can refuse to clean it for you.

I'm stumped by this post. Why waste your time to go service centre, say hi and bye? Since you are there, warranty also there, go clean lah. Few fungus one day will become big fungus. Ever heard of evolution? By the way, I heard if you put a lens with fungus together with fungus-free lens, you will spread the 'warmth' to the others....

hi all, i m new here

help

I'm stumped by this post. Why waste your time to go service centre, say hi and bye? Since you are there, warranty also there, go clean lah. Few fungus one day will become big fungus. Ever heard of evolution? By the way, I heard if you put a lens with fungus together with fungus-free lens, you will spread the 'warmth' to the others....
FYI, lens clean or fungus cleaning is not free, even it is within warranty period.
the cost could be $100 to $200 for just two small spots, it is a sound advance given by the service center, since it does not show up on the images. but on the other hand, if the fungus are too bad, there is no use of cleaning it, the coating could be already badly affected.

btw, fungus spore is air-borne, they could be already land on all our lenses at the moment we take out our lenses from the packaging box, just waiting the right condition/ environment to mushroom.

anyway, why we always recommended use a dry cabinet? cos by the time you notice you really need it is always too late.

Fungus will only grow further if the conditions are supportive. Since TS got a dry box (and provided he maintains it properly at lower RH) there's little chance for growing and affecting other equipment. Fungus growth is not Evolution. Better check again the meaning before using a word :)

Octarine said:
Fungus will only grow further if the conditions are supportive. Since TS got a dry box (and provided he maintains it properly at lower RH) there's little chance for growing and affecting other equipment. Fungus growth is not Evolution. Better check again the meaning before using a word :)

I believe the word is "growth" not "evolution"

hi all, i m new here

help

dry box? are u going to maintain the RH level in a discipline manner? else you will face the problem again later.

Just curious but if we Point the fungus infected lens at the sun and leave it like that will the sun kill off the fungus?

Just curious but if we Point the fungus infected lens at the sun and leave it like that will the sun kill off the fungus?

Well, I have one lens that gotten fungus on the inner side of the front element. A few days of sun should kill it but unfortunately, the residue will be not disappear. Still have to sent it for servicing to take apart the lens and clean out the insides. The ironic part for me is that the infected lens was not the ones I left lying around unused for months, but the one I seldom used but brought out for weekly shoots.

CamInit said:
Well, I have one lens that gotten fungus on the inner side of the front element. A few days of sun should kill it but unfortunately, the residue will be not disappear. Still have to sent it for servicing to take apart the lens and clean out the insides. The ironic part for me is that the infected lens was not the ones I left lying around unused for months, but the one I seldom used but brought out for weekly shoots.

Perhaps TS could kill the fungus and leave it as that since the fungus is not affecting IQ

it will grow and may affect the coating so badly...useless to clean by then, TS better get a dry cabinet...

CamInit said:

How we know if the fungus is killed?
Did u service your lens or just leave it?
Does your fungus affect photo?

How we know if the fungus is killed?
Did u service your lens or just leave it?
Does your fungus affect photo?
Nobody knows, unless you want to open up your lens and use a microscope to examine the lens elements has any new fungus spore.

a few tiny dots won't show up on photo, the fungus has to be very bad like spider web covering the lens element than you will notice the difference from the photos.

cleaning the lens does not prevent the fungus from grow again, it will come back when the condition is right for them to grow.

do regular maintaining of your dry box or just get a dry cabinet to slowdown the fungus from growing.

catchlights said:
Nobody knows, unless you want to open up your lens and use a microscope to examine the lens elements has any new fungus spore.

a few tiny dots won't show up on photo, the fungus has to be very bad like spider web covering the lens element than you will notice the difference from the photos.

cleaning the lens does not prevent the fungus from grow again, it will come back when the condition is right for them to grow.

do regular maintaining of your dry box or just get a dry cabinet to slowdown the fungus from growing.

If I use a dry cabinet, do i need to service or maintain it regularly? And how?

If I use a dry cabinet, do i need to service or maintain it regularly? And how?
is fully automatic, just make sure the setting is correct, remember to close the door properly, don't off the switch, check the power still running and the humidity level is correct occasionally and remember to pay your utility bill too.

And at the same time..try to bring them out once in awhile dont leave them inside for long period of time.. In another words..use your gear regularly :bsmilie:

TWmilkteaTW said:
And at the same time..try to bring them out once in awhile dont leave them inside for long period of time.. In another words..use your gear regularly :bsmilie:

Fully agreed. Use the gear regularly. Use it under the sun

is it wise to "sun" photographic gear ? i sunned my camera bag. smells nice and sunny now.

What lens is it ? if its a cheap lens then dont bother ( if the cost to clean it is more than 60% the cost of the lens). Keep it it dry box and use it as long as you can. if you manage to control the growth by keeping it in the drybox or taking out in the sun it will take a while before the fungus can spread enough to make an impact on the images.

What lens is it ? if its a cheap lens then dont bother ( if the cost to clean it is more than 60% the cost of the lens). Keep it it dry box and use it as long as you can. if you manage to control the growth by keeping it in the drybox or taking out in the sun it will take a while before the fungus can spread enough to make an impact on the images.

hi kane-rulez, mine is sigma 17-70.
so if i control the growth and service the lens when the images get impact, will it be ok?
or service now to save the lens?