Help! Fungus growing on sensor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchew3

Nov 15, 2006
Yew Tee, Singapore
Dear forumers,

Anyone can advice me ?
I saw from the photo of my camera that there is something line harline crack on the top right corner. But it looks more like a small tree branches - a thin line with many branches growing from it.

I change the lense but the hairline remains. So it is not the lense.
Checking my early May photos, there is already small hairline. Now (July), it grows bigger and more obvious.

So - was it a crack or fungus ?
Can advice me what to do ? (A bit desperate here. I intend to take photos for tomorrow's NDP preview....)

My camera is Canon 350D, with kit lense & 17-85mm IS lense.

Hmm...sounds like fungus, but why don't you post up some samples for use to see?

switch the shutter to bulb mode , depress the shutter so that the mirror moves up, and use a blower to clear any dust at the sensor.

Without attaching any lens, fire some shots to check is dust is still present.

Hmm...sounds like fungus, but why don't you post up some samples for use to see?

Here it is (I hope can show pic here sucessfully):
Fungus_on_sensor.JPG

It is only cut out section of the top right corner. About 10% width of actual photo.

Wah lao... scary man... goto Harour front ! canon sevice center...

Looks like fungus indeed.

But fungus growing on sensor or could it be prism ?

Observation:
1) Cannot see on view finder
2) It is growing longer
3) Fungus can grow on sensor meh ?
If so, can be cleaned or repair ?

How long to clean at Canon Harbour Front.
Just wait there ? (Need my camera tomorrow).

In all probability it's fungus, hopefully, on the high-pass or AA filter, and not in between that and the sensor.

Could also be microscopic hair, fur, cobweb, but chances are fungus, especially if you don't keep your equip in a humidity controlled environment like digicab or sumtink.

If it's on the prism, mirror, focusing screen or anywhere else along the light path that leads to the view-finder, it will never show up in pictures.

Just head down to CSC ASAP. Once the spider-webs appear, it means that they will slowly etch the surface they're growing on (if they haven't already done so) meaning clean away also the 'marks' still there.

All the best for your cam and hope it's only on the surface of the filter.

Friend, if the fungus is growing on the prism or focusing screen, then it cannot apper on the captured image because the images does not goes thru the prism at all !!!! The prism and the focusing screen does NOT come into play when the mirror is UP.

Thanks to Dream Merchant and lkkang.

Only two questions left.
How long to clean ?
Can get back same day ? (I need it tomorrow for NDP Preview)

Thanks to Dream Merchant and lkkang.

Only two questions left.
How long to clean ?
Can get back same day ? (I need it tomorrow for NDP Preview)

I have send my 1D for cleaning few weeks back , took me about 2 hours depending on the number of cameras are there... ( go early ).

If the process is long or tedious, the staff might request you to come back some other day to collect. However, it is also possible to pay a premium for express services. It is up to you to decide then...

good luck.

If taking pictures at NDP P is that important to you, I would do one of the following:

1) Call/SMS/e-mail those members who rent Canon equipment and see what's available for tomorrow. Tell them your situation and ask if you can reserve a body just until you get to CSC. Some will be willing to help if no one else chope their cameras already.

2) Find out what time CSC open, and go there 1st thing. Tell them your urgency and see what they say. It might help if you send them an urgent e-mail tonight just to pre-empt them that an 'urgent case' is coming in first thing tomorrow morning. Proceed as appropriate.

3) Your camera is NOT going to die if you don't send it in tomorrow (believe me, it's not and the spider-web won't grow long long overnight either - it takes months and months) and send it next week instead. Use your camera, do a bit more post work then when you can, send your camera down but don't delay too long lah.

Wow. If it happens in your camera sensor, there's a likelihood that your lenses are attacked by that too. Have you checked?

wah lao... so scary!..

bro .. take care.. :)

Fungus_on_sensor.JPG

It is only cut out section of the top right corner. About 10% width of actual photo.

Fungus_on_sensor.JPG

Looks more like a crack to me. Good luck to your repair.

Where did you keep all your photography gears?

Do you use dry cab?

Regards,
Arto.

No I didn't put in the dry cab for the last few months.
Use it frequently, so I didn't keep in the dry cab (silica gel type).
(The box have digicam video tapes. I thought open and close too often will
reduce efficiency of the dry cab humidity.)
Silly me. Should have use two dry cab instead.

Anyway, the camera is with Canon SC. Not sure of the outcome yet.
Could be fungus, could be crack. Just keep my fingers crossed.

Do let us know the outcome... I think most of us here are curious to know....

No I didn't put in the dry cab for the last few months.
Use it frequently, so I didn't keep in the dry cab (silica gel type).
(The box have digicam video tapes. I thought open and close too often will
reduce efficiency of the dry cab humidity.)
Silly me. Should have use two dry cab instead.

Anyway, the camera is with Canon SC. Not sure of the outcome yet.
Could be fungus, could be crack. Just keep my fingers crossed.
Welll... Thank you for additional info.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.