Help for PC's woe....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
If the screen keep coming up with:

"Low in resources"
"Low in memory", etc....

Deleted many unused files and softwares, and I have done defrag, and scandisk the HD, still cannot solve the problems, .... how? :dunno:

Even in Outlook Express 6!

No point in putting in new ram as the computers are all old pc

put 1 more hdd... then clean your boot drive aka shift temp folders to new drive. then u free approx 20% of the boot drive should be able to get it to work.

maybe internal battery?

Obviously your pc need a new HD. just bought mine, Hitachi 7200, 250GB. SATA2;)

probably due to spyware if you have started deinstalling you programs. Just buy a virus scanner most scanners have spyware removal capbilities theses days.

reinstall the OS (window?), usually sometime, too many rubbish will clogged up the system, and cannot easily be uninstalled/deleted.

What OS are you using ? Commonly used programs ? Processor speed? RAM ? Too many unknowns, very hard to advise.

If your suspect your OS (WINXP) is cranky, try this : Goto Start - Run - "cmd", type in "sfc /scannow" and wait for the scan to complete. You might be prompted for your WinXP CD.

Good luck !

What OS are you using ? Commonly used programs ? Processor speed? RAM ? Too many unknowns, very hard to advise.

If your suspect your OS (WINXP) is cranky, try this : Goto Start - Run - "cmd", type in "sfc /scannow" and wait for the scan to complete. You might be prompted for your WinXP CD.

Good luck !
OS = Win 98 :cry:
Used program: Word / Excel / Simple PS
Processor: Pent 3 :cry:
RAM: 256Mb :cry:
HD: 10Gb, still have abt 6Gb space

See... no point to upgrade the hardware.

wah! WIN98 ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: reminds me of the good old days....

reminds me of the good old days....
whalau ....... :bheart: :bheart: :bheart:
i juz want to save the world mah ....:bsmilie: no point having high-performance pc when i dont need them ...:sweat:

Sounds more like Win98 not properly configured, installed, or corrupted.

Some of my guys are using win2k, Celeron 800mhz, 256mb and 6gb HDD workstations, and they are running pagemaker. :sweat:

Better be careful bro.....recently there is a virus attack on the old os system, like Win98, which tends to slow down the system. Think the virus start with "win32......". Must ask my it. Suggestion, get a new cpu with the updated virus scan and os. :)

whalau ....... :bheart: :bheart: :bheart:
i juz want to save the world mah ....:bsmilie: no point having high-performance pc when i dont need them ...:sweat:

time to upgrade, win 98 is known to be a bit hay wire ... get a new pc...

Please lor, I can use an old P2 to run MRTG server and web server with only 256MB RAM and Win NT 4. Old equipment not equal useless, ok

Wow ... this is tough. Try http://www.windowsgalore.com/windows.98/perform.html YMMV, follow at your own risk.

PM me more details of your current setup and I'll go back and rummage through my IT junk tonight and see if I can find some odd RAM pieces for you. You'll get it only if I can find it ! ;p

Seriously, it's time to shelve plans for the new lens/camera body and get a new PC. You don't really need something high-end for your current usage but you'll be glad to have the extra "muscle" when you need it.

ZCF is right, just reformat everything and install W2K OS and ur system will b running fine.
After that, update ur Windows with patches, install all ur applications and do a Ghost.
Whenever system chock or slow down due to virus, spywares or adwares, just to a restore ghost.

Did that to my old 450Mhz P3, use it to surf net and run simple applications.
Got a dedicated systems for gaming :devil:

time to upgrade, win 98 is known to be a bit hay wire ... get a new pc...
our gen is difference, we dont like to throw away things that still work ...:dunno: might still keep this for surfing.
anyway, just paid $2,500 to DELL for a Core2 Duo PC and basket have to wait for ten more days for them to build in Penang and send down to Sg.... the main bulk $600 went to softwares upgrade ... Xp Pro OS, McAffee, Office 2007, 3-yr warranty, etc... so i think the system is quite reasonably priced.:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.