Help for newbie needed !!!

jieqian

May 11, 2010
Hi everyone...am new to photography but thinking of getting a beginner level dslr...
Am choosing between sony 230/330 or nikon D3000 or canon 1000d...
Is it safe to get a 2nd hand ???

Advise pls !!! Thanks !!!

Hi everyone...am new to photography but thinking of getting a beginner level dslr...

Yep,its safe to get 2nd hand.But since you are new,do you know how to check for possible faults like dust on sensor?

Might as well get a brand new one lah...

i agree with cleonbus , i think you should get a brand new . It just saves your mind from worrying that oh is that okay , is this okay . There are many reasons as to why the previous owner 'abandoned' the camera , some good some bad .

I PERSONALLY perfer Nikon . But there are obviously other brands in which may/may not have features that differ from Nikon . Ultimately , its still your choice .

Last edited:
i agree with cleonbus , i think you should get a brand new . It just saves your mind from worrying that oh is that okay , is this okay . There are many reasons as to why the previous owner 'abandoned' the camera , some good some bad .

In my opinion , just get a first-hand one . As to brand-wise , i PERSONALLY ( in my OWN OWN OWN OWN OWN opinion ) , I trust Nikon/Canon better than Sony . Partly because Sony just took over Minolta , and that they might be a little unstable .

I thought Sony took over Minolta donkey years ago?:dunno:

Friend, Sony acquire Minolta in 2006; Minolta is a reputable camera and lens manufacturer.

Do you know Leica and Nikon use Sony sensor.

Partly because Sony just took over Minolta , and that they might be a little unstable .

my dear loozhengyuan,

best not to spout things that you are not entirely sure of, because they might be untrue. at the very best, they are not facts, so you should not pass them off as facts.

sony took over minolta - that part is fact. "just" is subjective, but it was not within the past year for sure. unstable - sony has loads of operations and has been producing dslr cameras since the alpha 100 that it produced when it just took over minolta... instability is definitely out of the question as of today.

1. you have to choose the camera that works best for you.

2. safe to get a 2nd hand if you know how to check properly. even then, there are things you cannot check for. you are essentially getting a lower price for increased risk. if you cannot tolerate this possibility that you might be exposed to increased risk, either buy a camera with warranty status still valid; or buy new.

Go camera shop and hands on first will be good. one thing about camera is that there is different between different people holding the camera. Certain people feels that lighter is good as they are traveling or people with weaker arms or those who carry it for long etc. The hand grip on the side matters also. Some are not used to cheaper rubber grip on the side. The wheel for changing the settings, having a secondary view of your settings on the top right of the camera... So on and so for, all matters on a camera aside from technical specification. One stuff I always support starter is to get a Pentax or Sony for their inbuilt IS in the camera. Until they are used to shooting, some might have problems with even shot @ 50mm, shutter 1/30 sec. Also do some research on the resales market of the camera you are getting if you are planning on letting BBB virus infect you.

Lastly, for all those who are getting it the first time, I always ask if you have a storage for keeping the camera.

will the prices of 2nd hand differ alot from new ones???

what are the things to check for if getting 2nd hand one ???

If I was buying a used body I'd check out Total Shutter count if possible, make sure there are no scratches/marks on the viewfinder/mirror (is it clean looking through the viewfinder & lens) Take a shot using a high apature like f16 or f22 of a bright surface, then zoom in on the image in the viewfinder and look for any big dust/marks that might be a problem. General overall condition of the camera body, does the battery and memory doors open and close properly.

will the prices of 2nd hand differ alot from new ones???

what are the things to check for if getting 2nd hand one ???

2nd hand prices will differ from cameras to lenses.Most will be 10% to 30% off the brand new price...

2nd hand prices will differ from cameras to lenses.Most will be 10% to 30% off the brand new price...

If it is only diff of 10%, i will definately get a new one...
Just realise that there will be a pc fair in june...will the prices be cheaper than street prices ??? what are the difference ???

Just realise that there will be a pc fair in june...will the prices be cheaper than street prices ??? what are the difference ???

This question again:angry:

PC show/IT fairs/Comex/Sitex bla bla sells at RRP(Recommended Retail Price)which is same as Courts/BD/HN but these shows throw in more freebies like a crappy tripod or things like a lousy filter.

Best is to get from shops like CP/OP/AP/SLRR/John/MSC...

To explain more,lets say this item's RRP is $1000.If you get from Courts/BD/HN/Audio House,they will throw in a 8GB SD card and a bag and sell to you at the RRP(which is $1000).When IT show/PC fair/Comex/Sitex comes they will throw in more freebies like a crappy tripod,another extra SD card,card reader but still sell to you at $1000.

But when you get from shops like CP/AP/OP/SLRR/John,they will sell to you at $920,which is $80 off the RRP(which is $1000).They will throw in a 8GB SD card and maybe a bag.Thus,buying from outside(CP and the others)is way cheaper.

My $0.02 cents...

street prices better.

i will never recommend people buying from pc fair, unless there are special circumstances.. for example one of the years pentax gave a very good price for k200d dual lens kit at one of the fairs.

the chances of that happening are few and far between. much better to go the usual shops. you don't need their lousy tripod.. last time someone asked me if pc fair better or shops better, i told him shop price was $80 off...

then he go and tell the pc fair guy, the pc fair guy say can give him more free gifts, but don't have price reduction. i asked him what the free gifts were, he said, oh, can give you 4 x 8 gb sd card........ pengsan.

thks everyone for their advise...

Am thinking of which entry lvl dslr to get...

what do you guys think of sony 330 and pentax k-x ?

for me, the k-x is the most value for money on the market right now. $800+ for a dual lens kit is an unbelieveable price. when i first picked up the k100d it was great value for money. now this is even more juicy.

another strong offering is the canon 550d. it costs more though, but the IQ is a huge improvement over the previous offerings.

what is more important is that you recognise a camera as a tool.

there are more important things than just image quality and features, which are the two things which are commonly pushed online. that is because these are the only QUANTITATIVE measure that people can use and employ to compare cameras.

there are also intangible measures such as handling, size, weight, form. these are important factors which will affect your shooting experience, and only you as a photographer will be able to say for sure if a camera is the one for you.

so try these cameras out, hold them.. and consider all the factors in your head. and enjoy shooting. :thumbsup:

Friend, Sony acquire Minolta in 2006; Minolta is a reputable camera and lens manufacturer.

Do you know Leica and Nikon use Sony sensor.

I also know that Sony Cameras give more noise than other brands at ISO 400... Sony need some work with their image processing engine in their camera...

thks everyone for their advise...

Am thinking of which entry lvl dslr to get...

Sony A330's price is now $799(the price drop right?)while Pentax K-x's price is $782.Pentax K-x is better lah...

Hi Hi,

I recommend you to get a Canon 500/550 with a 18~200/ 270mm lens. Spend a bit more and you will save yourself some long term inconvenience... presuming that you are a starter...

Pentax is good. Give Sony a miss unless you plan to use Carl Zeiss lens in the future.

Cheers!