help for event lens

alvinho

Oct 4, 2010
hi all,

which lens is better for shooting event indoor?
Sigma 50mm F1.4
Canon 85mm F1.8

you might also want to look at the 35mm if you are using a crop body. else the field of view might be a bit small for anything but portraits indoor.

another lens i am looking at is sigma 30mm f1.4

All can, all ok. You need to understand the field of view you'll get. Considering the limited space, stick to your kit lens for the 18mm and use a flash.

i dun have kit lens, i only have tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and canon 50mm f1.8 and canon 430exII

i dun have kit lens, i only have tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and canon 50mm f1.8 and canon 430exII

Then use the 17-50 and your 430 EXII. That's all you need.

The Tamron 17-50 is better than the kit lens. Your setup is enough for events, if you want anything more it would be a tele lens or a stronger flash. It depends on your shooting style but I feel more comfortable using zooms in events as compared to primes.

maybe i can use a shorter range prime lens like 30mm? cos sometime i use my 50mm i have to move back abit to take wat i wan..

alvinho said:
maybe i can use a shorter range prime lens like 30mm? cos sometime i use my 50mm i have to move back abit to take wat i wan..

What's with the obsession w primes..

In certain events, there is no time for you to move here and there, so usually I would recommend a zoom for events, until you are experienced enough to know where to stand at which points of the events, at which point you may consider switching to prime lenses. No point obsessing over prime lenses because some photographers swear by them, claiming they have better picture quality, force you to think of composition etc etc. If you can't even get the shots, it doesn't matter how sharp your lens can be.

If you have 2 bodies to use for events then you can consider ditching the zoom and get a combination of 2 primes (the focal length of these primes depends on your shooting style - to discover this look at the most common focal lengths you use on your current zoom lens)

This is more than enough.
Do a few events before deciding what you really need.
There is no hard and fast rule. It all depends on individual
style and what the customer wants.

_______
Abdullah | www.PictureU.biz | Instant Photography for Events |

make sure you go for ttl flash and plenty of batteries & SD card standby. remember to check and change ur SD card so you minimize corrupted files. bring along your lens cleaning kit as well.

check up the place early.

make sure u hv permission to take fotos. this include permission to take pix of show girls or artistes.

if you mingle with public, do keep a check of your wallet and not too engross. go with a partner would be ideal.

If you have 2 bodies to use for events then you can consider ditching the zoom and get a combination of 2 primes (the focal length of these primes depends on your shooting style - to discover this look at the most common focal lengths you use on your current zoom lens)

Even with 2 bodies, primes will be hard.

5D II with 70-200 f2.8 IS and
7D with 24-70 f2.8 + 580EX would be your best bet for event photography.

if you are covering the event for someone, use your zoom. prime though good IQ, might not get you the framing in time. If you insist to go with prime, 35 is good... 85 is too tight

For commissioned event shoot, my typical setup is FF + Crop + 17-35 + 28-75 + 70-200F2.8IS + 2 x 580ex2.

I found that with this setup, I can cover 90% of my needs.

Even with 2 bodies, primes will be hard.

5D II with 70-200 f2.8 IS and
7D with 24-70 f2.8 + 580EX would be your best bet for event photography.

Yup, but some people can do it. I can't so I don't use that kind of setup

Unless TS has the courage to go up to them and shoot, Of course, the 17-50, 17-55 range and a flash.

But if TS lacks of the experience, and courage, I suggest going for something like 85mm or the 70-200mm f/2.8..

Don't think so the event guest would say " oh .. you the photographer, come take a photo of us ! "

And also need to depend on TS's character, events, i feel that photographer must be thick skin, and also to adapt to the scene as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Unless TS has the courage to go up to them and shoot, Of course, the 17-50, 17-55 range and a flash.

But if TS lacks of the experience, and courage, I suggest going for something like 85mm or the 70-200mm f/2.8..

Don't think so the event guest would say " oh .. you the photographer, come take a photo of us ! "

And also need to depend on TS's character, events, i feel that photographer must be thick skin, and also to adapt to the scene as quickly as possible.

70-200 or 85mm can be too tight for group shots, especially if there is not enough space. The 17-50 on DX range is still the safest imo. During events, if you carry a DSLR and look like you know what you are doing, people will understand you are the event photographer. There is nothing much to be scared about when you're the event photographer, just don't jam a wide angle right in front of people's faces if they don't look too friendly and you should be fine.

70-200 or 85mm can be too tight for group shots, especially if there is not enough space. The 17-50 on DX range is still the safest imo. During events, if you carry a DSLR and look like you know what you are doing, people will understand you are the event photographer. There is nothing much to be scared about when you're the event photographer, just don't jam a wide angle right in front of people's faces if they don't look too friendly and you should be fine.

I agree with you though. i'm all the while a landscape and portrait enthusiast, i'm fine with the 2, but when my school asked me to shoot an event, i felt there's something missing in me. But thank god I used a 85mm, which gives me a faster focusing, and I feel that I could get a more candid feel..

Anw, TS have a 17-50 lens already fyi.