Help for an "old" Pentax user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roytech1

Apr 27, 2009
Was thinking of buying a DSLR after so many years using compact digital cameras and would appreciate some advice.

Need one mainly for travelling.

I have a few lenses (cheap ones - Pentax 50mm F/1.7, Sigma 28-200 mm, Tokina 70-210 mm) which I bought 20 years ago....

1. Should I buy a K20D or should I start a new series? I am thinking of either the Nikon D90 w 18-106 mm VR lens or Canon EOS 500D.

2. Should I service/clean the lenses (I have kept in a drying cabinet)? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks
RT2

Are you comfortable buying online? If so the K20D is an incredible bargain atm. USD 670 on amazon.

Go to a store and feel the various other bodies, as well as a k20d, see what you prefer. That's probably most important.

Some of the lenses you have are fine (e.g. 50/1.7) others won't do quite so well (sigma 28-200). I don't know the tokina 70-210 - if it's 2.8-3.5 it could work well enough.

If you want to shoot sports, it's more challenging with Pentax.

Note that a new Pentax body is due to be announced in late may. I'm not sure that will make K20D prices drop more though.

Definitely buy a K20D!
I was in a similar position a few months ago, looking for a DSLR to buy then was handed down some old lenses from my dad, a Pentax M 40-80mm and Tokina 70-210mm, so I ended up buying a second hand K10D, and currently very happy with it. Just need to learn to use use the Green Button with manual lenses, and get a split focus screen.
If the lenses are still clean and fungus clean there's probably no need to service.

Was thinking of buying a DSLR after so many years using compact digital cameras and would appreciate some advice.

I have a few lenses (cheap ones - Pentax 50mm F/1.7, Sigma 28-200 mm, Tokina 70-210 mm) which I bought 20 years ago....

1. Should I buy a K20D or should I start a new series? I am thinking of either the Nikon D90 w 18-106 mm VR lens or Canon EOS 500D.

2. Should I service/clean the lenses (I have kept in a drying cabinet)? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks
RT2

For travelling only and not regular shooting, why not consider a 2nd-hand K100D or new K200D?

Small, compact and very well built.

K20D seems overkill for that purpose alone, plus it's bigger and heavier.

yeah. I think the K200d is better suited. AA batteries and SD cards that can be found almost anywhere in the world and weather sealing. And its not that heavy too

i assume those u have are manual lenses... its nice to use back thoses lenses but for travelling, might wanna consider AF lenses... which means buying new lenses...

which camera to buy ? choose the one which is most comfortable in ur hands... :)

Thank you for the advices.

My lenses are AF lenses... from what I saw last night, only the 50 mm lens seem to be fungus-free. :(

A friend will be in US for next 2 weeks, so tempting to buy a K20D through Amazon and ask her to bring back. But, my better half is "persuading" me to get a D90 because it is more normal. Sigh.

RT2

My lenses are AF lenses... from what I saw last night, only the 50 mm lens seem to be fungus-free. :(

A friend will be in US for next 2 weeks, so tempting to buy a K20D through Amazon and ask her to bring back. But, my better half is "persuading" me to get a D90 because it is more normal. Sigh.

RT2

Some tips :p
* Show her the galleries (all 4!) of photos here -- photo quality question solved.
* Tell her K20D is weather sealed.. can shoot in the rain, near waterfall, etc. (D90 is not.)
* Tell her K20D has in-body anti-shake.. if she knows about compact cameras' anti-shake, that should impress her. (D90 does not.)
* And well, wearing Ferragamo shoes, driving a BMW and carrying an LV bag are also... less normal, or rather, less commonly seen. :D

* Show her the galleries (all 4!) of photos here -- photo quality question solved.
* Tell her K20D is weather sealed.. can shoot in the rain, near waterfall, etc. (D90 is not.)
* Tell her K20D has in-body anti-shake.. if she knows about compact cameras' anti-shake, that should impress her. (D90 does not.)
* And well, wearing Ferragamo shoes, driving a BMW and carrying an LV bag are also... less normal, or rather, less commonly seen. :D

Do the maths for the K20D price (should be just over SGD1000) vs the D90 price.. Show her the difference in price, make sure you include VR lens from Nikon in the equation.. Let her figure out how much branded clothes or jewellery that amount can buy.

But of course you'll spend that money on more lenses instead.:devil:

RT2
Do chuck that 50mm in Pentax B&S and get the D90 or 50D. I don't want Pentax to be 1-person-more more normal. Just kidding. You know what I mean.

Last edited:

Thanks
RT2

You should wait just a little while more till the new distributor (that's me actually) release the prices, then consider which brand to buy. Please be patient... ;)

I subscribe to the idea that all we need is a basic "tool", whether it is a camera, running shoes, bicycle,... the rest is up to you. :D So I think an okish DSLR should suffice (for now).

"Weather-sealing" and "in-body anti-shake" are v convincing factors... 70% Pro-Pentax now. Just a question of accessories, warranties and user experience. That's another story.

I subscribe to the idea that all we need is a basic "tool", whether it is a camera, running shoes, bicycle,... the rest is up to you. :D So I think an okish DSLR should suffice (for now).

"Weather-sealing" and "in-body anti-shake" are v convincing factors... 70% Pro-Pentax now. Just a question of accessories, warranties and user experience. That's another story.

think accessories, warranties are on par with the other brands for the average user. User experience, you'd get lotsa stories from the pentaxians here on how the K series DSLRs fit right into their hands. The user interface is very easy to pick up and convenient to use while shooting, and the IQ of pentax lenses in general are excellent - much better value for money than other big names, i.e. better images, lower cost. The CCD / CMOS sensors for the K10D / K20D also leave very little to be desired.

ergonomics isn't just an issue of how comfortable the camera is to hold.. it's also about how easy it is to access functions, change settings, where the buttons lie relative to your hand, etc. sth to bear in mind..

Thanks
RT2

Another "old" Pentax user here and loving every minute of it. Moved from Z-20 to K10D to K20D and with a standby of Z-1. hehe . . .
Also having Super A full film camera and, (Now the poison cometh . . .) Chinon CP-7m, Ricoh XR-P, with the various lenses hehe . . .

"Be interesting" like us. Why be "Normal" or for that matter "Abnormal" hahahaha . . .

:sweat::sweat:

Depending on your need, feature for feature, K20 beat D90 & 500D.
They are from different class and, therefore, you get the most bang-for-buck as K20 is cheaper.
The only drawback of K20 are slower AF in dark and video.
I don't care for video as it can be achieved using even PnS.
Most video implementation is just like an afterthought.

C* & N* like to cripple the lower end of their dslr.
They may change their system with little concern, example like legacy of lenses :thumbsd:
Hehe.. now they are stuck with having to stabilize their lenses in order to compete :bsmilie:

You may want to wait and see how's the pricing from Emjay ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.