Help folks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielyong78

Nov 27, 2009
I have been using Nikon S10 ( the swivel one ) with 10x zoom.

Always admire those photos taken with the
example object / person is sharp - background is blury.
how to acheive this image?

was at sitex today.

what camera should i get?

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4103&review=canon+powershot+sx20
( almost gotten this )

was attracted by the 20 x zoom.

or should i get an DSLR ? For entry level., which model is more suitable?

many thanks folks.

daniel

First topic: key word is Depth of Field. Use the search function here or Google, tons of information for you to read. Read carefully, see which factors are contributing. You are able to do this with your camera also.
The second topic is discussed in 7-11 other threads started this week, maybe also from people hoping to grab a good deal at some fair. Please read through all those threads, ponder about what is already mentioned there. To many factors and questions - and the answers must come from you. Main questions are always a) budget; and b) how serious you are.

Good lord, this is a big "spoonfeed" thread already.

1. Do a google search for "how to take photos where the background is blurred"

2. There are about 20 or so "what camera to get" threads here in the last week alone. Try a search!!!!

FYI, a DSLR will help due to the larger sensor and larger lenses. But it is still possible to get the effect you are looking for with your current cam.

Hey Rash

thanks for the tips...been reading the threads now :p

First topic: key word is Depth of Field. Use the search function here or Google, tons of information for you to read. Read carefully, see which factors are contributing. You are able to do this with your camera also.
The second topic is discussed in 7-11 other threads started this week, maybe also from people hoping to grab a good deal at some fair. Please read through all those threads, ponder about what is already mentioned there. To many factors and questions - and the answers must come from you. Main questions are always a) budget; and b) how serious you are.

budget about 1200 - 1400
quite serious - needed one for my trip.

i shortlist a few models
Sony A230 / A330 , Canon EOS 450 D / 500 D

which is better? for entry level

budget about 1200 - 1400
quite serious - needed one for my trip.

i shortlist a few models
Sony A230 / A330 , Canon EOS 450 D / 500 D

Please don't ask this sort of question, because the answers are never-ending.
If I ask you "Nissan, Mazda, or Toyota, which one is better as a "point A to point B" car, it's not such a clear-cut answer, right?

You need to specify what your 'wants' are, before someone can even begin to try and narrow down your shortlist for you.

DSLRs have the following advantages over PnS and Superzooms:
- larger image sensors
- ability to inter-change lenses
- improved build quality
- much faster auto-focus system

and so on and so on.

Besides that, between the DSLR brands you have things like in-built stabilisation, Live View, video capture, wireless flash capability, etc.
Some brands have a combination of such features.
You have to decide which features are important to you, and choose accordingly.

PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH on sites like DP Review, Photozone, etc.
If you have any terms you need clarification with, try Google search, or ask here.

Last edited:
None.
Which is worst camera? None.
You won't be able to tell the small difference so don't try to drill in that direction. Check the review websites mentioned, learn what features and functions are included. Every maker has its own ideas about camera systems. Key words mentioned already: Image Stabilizer, Live View, Video ... see what suits your needs - which requires that you define them first. Thanking before buying helps to save money in the long run. A complex thing as a camera system cannot be measured with simple terms as "better for entry".

Nikon is e best!. why? cos i use it :sticktong :bsmilie:

or u can choose pentax. cos they have more than 100 colours. photography is about colours right? other brands only 2 color - black and white. pentax got 100 plus colors so pentax! :sweat::eek:

for a new user..it really doesn't matter which dslr u choose. just pick one that feels right for u and u like it. best is to go and try it out..get a feel of it.

Though with that budget, you could already get an A500/A550. Quite a big step up from the 3XX series.

If you want photos with really blurred out background, then best to get a large aperture lens.

The 50mm f1.8 from sony/canon is one gd example.

Sony or canon? Anyone will do, just get the camera you like more lor.

Status
Not open for further replies.