[HELP] Flashes for Nikon D90

gaffgirl

Sep 18, 2009
Hi everyone,

I am planning to get a flash for my D90 just that I don't know which to get and I am totally new to the flash system. I am wondering between Nikon and Nissin (unless there are better recommendations).

I have a budget about $300+- (I don't mind 2nd hand prices too)? I don't know how decent the flash will be with this price but hopefully to get the best.

Last but not least I am wondering does every flash can work without mounting to the cam (eg. flash the light, or keep the light on the flash on until i off it)?

Feel free to cover more details I may be missing out.

Thank you!!! :D

SB 600 is good enough.
You'll need to mount it to the camera unless you have a transmitting device or use D90 as a commander

I remember seeing someone using a flash and just on the light on it without it mounting to the camera..
I like how the connector is metal instead of Nissin plastic.

Can I know the difference of SB600 and SB700?

I remember seeing someone using a flash and just on the light on it without it mounting to the camera..
I like how the connector is metal instead of Nissin plastic.

Can I know the difference of SB600 and SB700?
SB600 is a preceding model of SB700.

you can use flash off the camera,
but I suggest learn to walk before you run.

go here

Nikon Help Hotline - YouTube

Hi everyone,

I am planning to get a flash for my D90 just that I don't know which to get and I am totally new to the flash system. I am wondering between Nikon and Nissin (unless there are better recommendations).

I have a budget about $300+- (I don't mind 2nd hand prices too)? I don't know how decent the flash will be with this price but hopefully to get the best.

Last but not least I am wondering does every flash can work without mounting to the cam (eg. flash the light, or keep the light on the flash on until i off it)?

A flash unit emits a short burst of light. You mentioned a point about keeping the light on until you switch it off, which suggests that you are talking about a continuous light source such as an LED panel.

For $300, you could get a 2nd hand Nikon SB600 speedlight, or possibly a 2nd hand SB700. 3rd party brands likely to be a little bit cheaper.
There is communication taking place between the flash unit and the camera body, therefore some 3rd party brands have consistency issues because they have not been able to reverse-engineer this communication reliably.

Not possible to cover flash photography in a reply :)
Can try reading some articles online to understand the basics.

Some points to consider:
1) How much power can the flash output?
2) Can the flash automatically regulate the output power depending on the situation?
3) Other characteristics such as remote TTL capability, recycle time, flash duration, colour consistency, etc.

hope that helps.

Sb600 can be bought used around 200 nowadays butdo note that the sb600 has a very weak gear system to keep the flash head at a certain angle. If you intend to mount any larger diffuser on it in the future best to check out sb700 and above.

Also try to stay with Nikon flashes for seamless compatibility.

As for wireless flash, your d90 has CLS commander built in to fire flash remotely. Do note that it uses IR to transmit signals so there are range and line of sight limitations. Alternatively you can use other third party TTL triggers like pixel knight, pixel king, or pocketwizrds to give you more range or non line of sight triggering.

My advice is to get a Nikon flash and play with CLS first. Slowly research and read up on your needs as you learn more.

Jump straight to sb910 for less than $600 first hand.

Jump straight to sb910 for less than $600 first hand.
is like buying a Porsche with a P plate licence. and with a budget of VW Beetle

Hi everyone,

SB800 pre owned is best bang for buck, can be gotten at around $350 pre owned and its imbued with all the top features.

SB600 ok if you do not plan in advancing your flash photography much.

SB800 pre owned is best bang for buck, can be gotten at around $350 pre owned and its imbued with all the top features.

SB600 ok if you do not plan in advancing your flash photography much.

but SB600 can be slaves leh once you intend to advance with SB900....

but SB600 can be slaves leh once you intend to advance with SB900....

SB600 is a poor choice as a slave unit because of a few reasons:
1) Lack of PC sync port
2) Lack of optical sync
3) Require the purchase of sync ports, thus further adding cost, plus the more connections you add, the higher the chances of something going loose
4) Already weak power weaken further by use of modifers
5) Lacking those functions, yet more expensive than the cheap 3rd party flash or the older manual flash units

The good points are:
1) CLS compatible though CLS is limiting in some situations, ie bright daylight, or far distance
2) Small and compact and easier to squeeze into a small bag.

Other major consideration: weak as a main unit, slow recycling, and not compatible with external battery pack if one wishes to use it for events photography.

Other minor considerations: lack of built in bounce card, does not come supplied with stofen cap

But still ok to buy if you do not plan to do much flash work.

Last edited: