help - editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do i edit the top right hand of this picture to look brighter?
took this with Program Mode. Not sure what I did wrong here, so can anyone help? My guess is that the polarizer did this once again.
Thanks

goldengate.jpg

what programs do you have? Photoshop is the best thing to edit with, obviously. just select/lasso the area and tweak the brightness levels. or you can be ambitious and play around with mask layers... :D

Originally posted by firefox13
what programs do you have? Photoshop is the best thing to edit with, obviously. just select/lasso the area and tweak the brightness levels. or you can be ambitious and play around with mask layers... :D

I've got photoshop. will try it out myself first then.. and yell for help if i mess it up :p

Actually, the blue looks better if it is left alone - its the left side which is too bright and needs to be darken to bring balance to the picture.

As you mentioned, the polariser probably did play a part in darkening the right side.

Rule of thumb when using polarisers - the area of most effect is perpendicular to the direction of sunlight. Eg. If the sun is directly in front or at your back, the areas which will be most affected by the polariser will be directly to your left/right. So you should try to position yourself to make the most out of the polariser.

1- Open the file in Adobe PS 6
2- Look at the image and break the picture in your mind into 9 equal parts like the rule of the thirds grid.

| square 1 | Square 2 | Square 3 |
-------------------------------------------
| Square 4 | Square 5 | Square 6 |
-------------------------------------------
|Square 7 | Square 8 | Square 9 |

3- As you see from your photo, Square 3 is Dark blue ...but i Agree with Darren that it is beautifullly Rich Blue.
So lets concentrate on Square 1,2,4,5.

4- Go use the Lasso tool and select from the top right corner of Square 2 and draw a "quardrant" with the tool all the way to the bottom left hand corner of Square 4. - This will mean it should look like:

|*******||*******||-----------|
|***1***||***2***||-----------|
|*******||******- ||-----------|
---------------------------------------
|*******||*****---||-----------|
|*******||**--------||-----------|
|***4*---||-----5-----||-----------|
|-----------||-----------||-----------|

5- Go to the {Select}--> Feather--> Enter 80 ( I'm using your postedimage to try).

6- Then use {Image}-->Adjust-->Brightness/Contrast and adjust the Brightness to -44 or lower till it match the right side blue.

7- Then Go {Select}- Deselect

8- Then Select the area Square 4,5,6 with the Ellipticla Marquee Tool which will give you....(Mainly on the Bridge)
|---*****||*******||*****---|
|*******||*******||*******|
|---*****||*******||*****-- |
9- Repeat Steps 5,6,7 till you see that overall image is nice - to your judgement. (Main Adjustments would be at the Brightness)

10- Finally, deselect all selection and do a {Filter}-->Sharpen-->Unsharp Mask : Settings: Start with Amount @ 50% , Radius 1 pixel , Threshold 0. And adjust according to taste.

The result would be something like as shown below....: (Further Brightness and contrast can be adjusted according to your Monitor/LCD ......

And these 10 steps will provide you with a general guidelines for tweaking such scans or images.

Enjoy!!!!.......Do let me know if you need help in Adobe PS....I'll try to share what i know.......

Regards,
me

;)
goldengate_edit.jpg

thanks sulhan! i finally learnt something useful!

Anyway, I have a qn. I suppose the image mode matters when adjusting brightness/contrast. eg between RGB and LAB. Read somewhere that LAB's adjustments for brightness doesn't change the coloring, or something like that. Is there a rule on such adjustments, or it's just 'go by feel', which is what I normally do.

RGB gives a better adjustment feel....but if you have a feel for L-luminance (value 0 to 100), A(green to red value- range of values from +120 to -120) and B (blue to yellow value-which range from +120 to -120). Then by all means......

For your info, LAB is used by Photoshop as th neutral party colour (middle man ) when photoshop converts from one colour mode to another.

have Fun..........

Tips: To make a nice black and white picture.....do not use greyscale mode....but select......{image}-->adjust-->desaturate. THen you use {image}-->adjust--> colour balance.......

You will be really happy with your self ....once you try this out.....have fun

regards,
me

Status
Not open for further replies.