Help. E410 converging problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xquan

Jan 4, 2008
PB262260-1.jpg

Hi pls help. I got a problem with my e410. Pls look at the pic.

Pic taken at 14mm f/8. The buildings at both side are slanding inwards. I know its normally to see this effect in taking buildings but after discussing with my frens. We come to a conculsion that the converging is too much. Camera is not tilt when taking this pic.

Pls advise....... sending for warrenty but service centre claims that is the normal behavior of the camera.

Normal. Its called barrel distortions, happen with most wide angles. At 14mm, this is considered very good already. Is this a prime or zoom lens?

If you need to prove if its normal, maybe you should check your lens reviews, usually they have charted tests.

PB262260-1.jpg

Hi pls help. I got a problem with my e410. Pls look at the pic.

Pic taken at 14mm f/8. The buildings at both side are slanding inwards. I know its normally to see this effect in taking buildings but after discussing with my frens. We come to a conculsion that the converging is too much. Camera is not tilt when taking this pic.

Pls advise....... sending for warrenty but service centre claims that is the normal behavior of the camera.

I believe you are using 14-42mm? The kit lens do suffer from some barrel distortion. Otherwise, it's really sharp for a kit lens. :)

Try correcting it in photoshop. Shouldn't be hard. Or else, get the 14-54mm. ;p

Cameras do not cause perspective distortion... lenses do depending on focal length.
The wider the lens, the greater the perspective distortion.
This is normal for the Olympus kit lens. No point in sending it for servicing. Nothing can be done about it.
I have had similar experience with my 14-45mm kit lens too like in this photo.

40014286.jpg

Last edited:
Jus to confirm cos still new in dlsr nv experence this type of problem before.

Im using the e410 14-42mm kit len. If i set at 14mm the actual focal length should be 28mm right? Since 4:3 has a 2x focal factor.

I use to have a PnS 35mm fitted with a 0.5x wide conversion lens. But i never experence this problem. Pls enlighten me thanks.

Im using the e410 14-42mm kit len. If i set at 14mm the actual focal length should be 28mm right? Since 4:3 has a 2x focal factor.

I use to have a PnS 35mm fitted with a 0.5x wide conversion lens. But i never experence this problem. Pls enlighten me thanks.

The lens has an actual focal length of 14mm, not 28mm. The 2X is to calculate the 35mm equivalent, which to put it in simple terms, is to allow people to compare focal lengths. Such as Nikon's 1.5X vs 4/3s 2X. :)

Regarding the P&S question, I'm not too sure. Probably someone else can answer that.

Wrong way round; the 2x crop factor means that your picture looks like it's taken at 28mm, but the real focal length is 14mm. You might want to read one of the guides here in the Newbies Corner to understand more about crop factor.

You probably just never noticed it, but the problem of converging verticals is always there when your camera is pointed upwards, even just slightly. The effects are more pronounced when shooting at shorter focal lengths. It is due to the sensor/film not being parallel to the vertical lines.

Thanks for all the ppl who reply. Esp tomcat.

You guys really clear up a lot of my doubts.

Because my fren is using a D60 with 18mm to 55mm to take the same picture. So now i know why his picture turns to have less perspective distortion than mine. Cos im using a 14mm and him a 18mm. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.