Help: Dust Proofing for canon 60D

XavierShoot

Aug 2, 2009
Singapore, Aussie
Hello fellow snappers,
i am going to a real dusty place, rockhampton, dusty and windy and sandy.
Thus i want to buy this thing. does anyone know the name of this thing?
41TT3mUUCtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or any tips that i can take to keep my camera and lens safe.
i will be using a 17-55 f2.8 lens + 60D. no lens changing will be done to prevent dust in sensor

Thanks in advance!

Hello fellow snappers,
i am going to a real dusty place, rockhampton, dusty and windy and sandy.
Thus i want to buy this thing. does anyone know the name of this thing?
41TT3mUUCtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or any tips that i can take to keep my camera and lens safe.
i will be using a 17-55 f2.8 lens + 60D. no lens changing will be done to prevent dust in sensor

Thanks in advance!

It is a raincoat for the lens.

Saw them in Cathay Photo and ebay.

Raincoat Rainproof Rain Cover for Canon DSLR SLR Camera SG#B | eBay

But basically, this is not something to prevent dust. Nothing prevent dust. Plus if there is no lens changing it will be alright.

ty rhino~ i am refering to the dust that falls onto the camera itself (exterior). no the dust on the sensor u see =)

If that is the case, I would suggest you get the silicon armour instead of the raincoat.

Delkin Snug It Pro Skin Camera Armor for Canon EOS 60D Digital Camera Body Black | eBay

The silicon armour 'hug' the body tightly and was easier and less limiting as compared to the raincoat, also it serve as a protection against some bumps and knocks that might scratch your camera.

But frankly, if I was you... I don't really care for all these, when my 7D get dirty, I just use moist cloth to wipe it.

If that is the case, I would suggest you get the silicon armour instead of the raincoat.

Delkin Snug It Pro Skin Camera Armor for Canon EOS 60D Digital Camera Body Black | eBay

The silicon armour 'hug' the body tightly and was easier and less limiting as compared to the raincoat, also it serve as a protection against some bumps and knocks that might scratch your camera.

But frankly, if I was you... I don't really care for all these, when my 7D get dirty, I just use moist cloth to wipe it.

Silicon "armor" does nothing to prevent dust...

Having a raincover over your camera, you will have tons of difficulty shooting. In dusty windy conditions, some wear a jacket, and hide the camera in the jacket only exposing the camera when shooting. Or you can try using larger clear plastic bags and gaffer. or some people just gaffer tape down openings on the camera and lenses. As for myself, I just use the the camera as per normal, and try not to zoom too much and don't change lenses.

just shoot lah. Your camera is not made of tofu. These cameras are used at the dakar rally all the time and that's 20x dustier.

Adding more problem to TS, the 17-55 like famous as dust sucking lens :bsmilie:

Yea, thanks for all the inputs , yah 17-55 is famous for dust sucking :) thus I think having a large plastic is good ba :)

Yea, thanks for all the inputs , yah 17-55 is famous for dust sucking :) thus I think having a large plastic is good ba :)

No... it is not good, you must know where the sucking of dust originated from. If it is from the front element, due to the fact that it extend outward, you couldn't put a plastic over it. And even if you are able to put a plastic over it, you must realise that if the environment is really very very dusty, no amount of plastic bag can keep dust out.

Anyway, there really is no need to get worried, just bring your blower with you. When you find spots in your sensor, then when you return to the hotel or anywhere with less dust, you can blow off these dust with your blower.

The reason I recommend a rubber armour is not actually to prevent dust, reading from your thread, I noticed that (although I might be wrong) you are a person who doesn't want or wish that your camera get dirty, and taking that as a cue, you might like your camera to be in its tip top condition (scratch and dent free) thus I recommend the armour that could help to protect the camera as best as possible.

Rhino u really reads my mind, my concern is the dirty part :) I will of course cleans my lens and camera daily :) body wise I am not too worried, it's the lens.
Cause it extends outwards, meaning when I shoot at 55 mm, I am worried sand/dust may drop on the barrel thingy, then when I turn the lens to 17 mm, then the dust will be "collected" into the lens body. Will that happen?

*sorry I do not know the right technical Term to use.

if u going overseas and using rocket blower. Some customs will confiscate it. just for your info.

Rhino u really reads my mind, my concern is the dirty part :) I will of course cleans my lens and camera daily :) body wise I am not too worried, it's the lens.
Cause it extends outwards, meaning when I shoot at 55 mm, I am worried sand/dust may drop on the barrel thingy, then when I turn the lens to 17 mm, then the dust will be "collected" into the lens body. Will that happen?

*sorry I do not know the right technical Term to use.

Frankly... I think it is really difficult if not... impossible to prevent that from happening. because dust is everywhere (and worst in dusty areas), no matter how much you protect your camera, dust will still get in. If that is really a concern for you, I would suggest that you try to go for those lens with internal focusing capability... You can rent these lenses for your trip.

The reason I recommend a rubber armour is not actually to prevent dust, reading from your thread, I noticed that (although I might be wrong) you are a person who doesn't want or wish that your camera get dirty, and taking that as a cue, you might like your camera to be in its tip top condition (scratch and dent free) thus I recommend the armour that could help to protect the camera as best as possible.

Sand or dirt can get trapped between Silicon "armor" and the camera, and over some time, and movement, will cause abrasions... so it is better to use the camera without any silicon armor...

Sand or dirt can get trapped between Silicon "armor" and the camera, and over some time, and movement, will cause abrasions... so it is better to use the camera without any silicon armor...

Well... from what I have read thus far... no one mentioned about the scenario that you have stated... especially from the product Delkin Snug fit pro. But to be fair, I have not use a rubber jacket before (I couldn't be bother with it), so I wouldn't know too much if dust will get trap there and cause scratches.

But I am pretty sure that it will prevent scratches to form from external forces being exerted to it.

Well... from what I have read thus far... no one mentioned about the scenario that you have stated... especially from the product Delkin Snug fit pro. But to be fair, I have not use a rubber jacket before (I couldn't be bother with it), so I wouldn't know too much if dust will get trap there and cause scratches.

But I am pretty sure that it will prevent scratches to form from external forces being exerted to it.

Well, I have seen it first hand. Sand got in between and left some scratches on the LCD. and also water get trapped in between as well...

Last edited:
Exe wallaby? Or just leisure?
^.^

first thing first ..... get a screw-on UV filter for the front element