Help! Dilemna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmodel said:
Btw keep us updated on the outcome!

Coz I've got 2 such requests frm 2 frenz for this mth (ROM) and next mth (Actual day). :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Same position =p

well, no choice ... i agreed, talked to the couple yesterday and told them my fears concerning the wedding and wat not, and still they said to go ahead, it's like a really slack thing. sigh....

Crossed fingers...

Deadpoet said:
I am very confused here about the whole thread. According to the OP, the couple is prepared to pay S$1000 for the photographer. At that price, there are quite a few good wedding photographers out there. And yet, they insisted on using our OP, who had admitted that he know nuts about wedding photography.

Am I the only one seeing that the story just doesn't hold water. I am not accsuing anyone, but still, the whole thing does not make sense.

well the issue here i believe, was timing, the wedding is in 8 days time and the 3 wedding photographers that they approached quoted much higher then that for such short notice.

As for why they are insisting on me, I myself am not too sure so that's a mystery to me.

I've even tried telling them that there are photographers that I know of that would take the job at that price, but well... i guess I'll just have to jump in with both feet la.

Ah Pao said:
Gosh, the wedding's so soon? Some things you need to prepare, really soon!
  • If there's a rehearsal at the church, it would be a good thing to go down to the place and recce the place, as well as familiarise yourself with the proceedings. As practically soon as possible, get hold of the actual day sequence as soon as possible.
  • As some others have mentioned, either you stick with your Coolpix, or else go get the rented equippment early (not just a day or two before!) and familiarise yourself with it. Nothing can make you hate yourself more than to fiddle around and miss the precious moment.
  • Communicate with your couple. What are their expectations, and tell them yours.
  • Rehearse in your mind, over and over again, what to cover. People, flowers, rings, and other things.
  • You are in control. Somehow the photographer is the biggest in the wedding, bigger than the couple. :sweatsm:
  • Prepare backup equipment, especially if you're the only photographer. If possible, borrow a similar camera body.
  • Ask your couple to act extra-slow-mo so that you have time to frame your shots.
Case in point: I asked the groom to kiss like 2 or 3 times over after the uncovering of the veil because he was too fast and was in a wrong angle. I'll rather than he repeat it than to have no documentation of a defining moment. But in all times, be humble and request nicely.

I disagreed with this statement, a wedding day is belong to the wedding couple, not belong to photographer, or anyone else, sometime the wedding couple or parents not sure about the customs, I will offer advise, sometime situation go chaos, I will only step out to take control.

Wedding couple is the heart and soul of the wedding day, not puppets, photographer is there to record the event, to assist them, to provide them professional advice.

Malakite said:
well the issue here i believe, was timing, the wedding is in 8 days time and the 3 wedding photographers that they approached quoted much higher then that for such short notice.

As for why they are insisting on me, I myself am not too sure so that's a mystery to me.

I've even tried telling them that there are photographers that I know of that would take the job at that price, but well... i guess I'll just have to jump in with both feet la.

I really think you should go ahead and I don't believe that your friendship will suffer due to unintentional bad photos (not saying you will but for the sake of example). If this happens then I would question what kind of friendship you have in the first place. Sometimes a simple gift means more than the giver and in this case, it may probably be true.

And stick with a camera you know. Safer that way. Sometimes, slight red and more red are all red to them. Sometimes not so sharp means smooth skin and dreamy look also. :bsmilie:

If the wedding photos are below your friend expectation, this could potentially lead to friendship breakdown. Is this worth it?

dawgbyte77 said:
I really think you should go ahead and I don't believe that your friendship will suffer due to unintentional bad photos (not saying you will but for the sake of example). If this happens then I would question what kind of friendship you have in the first place. Sometimes a simple gift means more than the giver and in this case, it may probably be true.

And stick with a camera you know. Safer that way. Sometimes, slight red and more red are all red to them. Sometimes not so sharp means smooth skin and dreamy look also. :bsmilie:

This is a disaster waiting around the corner.
The OP has no experience shooting a wedding.
The OP has little confidence with his prosumer coolpix and its ability to shoot in low light.
The OP wants to rent a DSLR, which he will use at the wedding, but has absolutely no experience with the camera.

Maybe, this will not destroy a freindship, but still, will you want to be the one who will be remembered for messing up the wedding pictures?

I wont shoot it.

Malakite said:
well, no choice ... i agreed, talked to the couple yesterday and told them my fears concerning the wedding and wat not, and still they said to go ahead, it's like a really slack thing. sigh....

Crossed fingers...

Remember that this is a photography forum and as such, most people here assume that photography is the most important thing in this occasion that the wedding itself. I have to disagree and unlike some people, I will not impose my opinion on you. Aside from the fact that you already made the decision, you also have all the pros and cons that you need. The rest is up to you. Good luck.

catchlights said:
I disagreed with this statement, a wedding day is belong to the wedding couple, not belong to photographer, or anyone else, sometime the wedding couple or parents not sure about the customs, I will offer advise, sometime situation go chaos, I will only step out to take control.

Wedding couple is the heart and soul of the wedding day, not puppets, photographer is there to record the event, to assist them, to provide them professional advice.

Me bad, that point was made tongue-in-cheek. Take it with a pinch of salt. ;)

Ah Pao said:
Me bad, that point was made tongue-in-cheek. Take it with a pinch of salt. ;)

Sorry for that if I sound too harsh, I have a strong feeling about this if any photographers think that way.

I too, find it strange that they prefer to spend $1,000 on a photog who has reminded the couple that he does not know how to do it.

There are lots of hungry photogs out there.
What state of economy are we in? It is bad you know.

Do ALL pro, semi-pro, knowledgeable amateur photogs really reject $1,000 for a photo shoot in this economy?

Come on.......

Use your common sense. :bsmilie:

What is this sudden twist to borrow full DSLR gear from CS members?
I better not comment on that.

Below, I am talking hypothetically. Take it as a general statement only and not referring to this case.

Another possible reason why a certain photog and no one else will do
Well assuming a photo shoot is not in a church. If there is a traditional Chinese pre-wedding ceremony at the couple's house and photog is directed to shoot at certain early hours of the morning (for example 4 am but always before sunrise) specifically chosen by the wedding couple's parents/advisers. The date, time, venue all pre-fixed. AND THEY GIVE the photog SOMETHING TO EAT when he arrives at that time. Watch out. Don't eat or drink that something. Maybe they really really chose the photog. Has something to do with photog's "PAH TZE". That is why only him and no one else even when he cannot shoot properly.

He may be set up to be the "Tee Sern" (substitute victim) for something bad that clashes in the wedding couple's zodiac astrology. It is not something nice. Maybe something occult. But I will not go into that detail.

Am I being too imaginative? You decide.

By the way, I hear that this has happened before in Singapore. The photog's father died soon after the shoot. How do I know? Guess who told me.

ricohflex said:
I
By the way, I hear that this has happened before in Singapore. The photog's father died soon after the shoot. How do I know? Guess who told me.

:bigeyes:

btw please dont borrow gear..its a crazy idea..

Malakite said:
wah... well the onli reason i'm renting a dslr system is because my own cam doesn't perform well on low light situations, it takes for ever to focus right, and well, if i were to try to change the iso, the pics are wayyy too noisy to use... well that's my reasoning anyway.

i see...

photography is not ALL about the gear. some can argue that it may not even be 10% of what photography is all about. BUT, if you're going to take up assignments, it is a core essential and base of your service to others.
If u intend to pursue photography as a career, please, drop this assignment. Like you mentioned, your gear cannot provide the images and quality you require. So drop the assignement.

Hey!

So whats the outcome? Did you take up the task to be the main photographer? So what camera and lens did you use?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.