Help! Dilemna

Status
Not open for further replies.
can tell white lie, say ur cam faulty- send 2 service center 4 checkup / repair. no cam no pic... :sweat:

$1000 2 gamble ur frship away? u get grt pics den ok, if not $$ cant buy back a lost frd... :nono:

schon said:
get someone to do it, and you be backup.

and when I say backup, I do not mean backup as in when the first guy fails, but when you'll be able to provide goot shots that the main guy did not manage to catch. :)

that way, the goods are assured and whatever that you have that is good is a bonus.

I second what I said earlier. :D

sORe-EyEz said:
orh, no la, i not d 1 shooting. pointing out wad i tot was a practical q, if he's shooting d whole day. :)
It is not necessary to shoot the WHOLD day wedding, not a lot of couples will not be able to affort or willing to pay the photographer to provide WHOLE day coverage.

As for dinner, I don't sit down to take the dinner, sometime the couple assign a seat for me and invite me to sit, I will decline to comply unless they insist.

:)

Whoa... losta of replys man.. Tks guys!:thumbsup:

Well, regarding the issue, it's a bit like wat espn, want to shoot but lack courage.

Finally got to talk to the family yesterday, and I told the mom that i'm not a pro, so dun expect too much and no payment la, just angbao will do.

Money after all, cannot buy friends.

Well, now comes the imp part, I'm gonna loan a dlsr system from CSers here in the comsumers corner, but i dunno wat system to rent? Which one better?

The choices are
Canon EOS 1D Camera or
S3Pro or
D2Hs

How la? which one to go? And wat set up to bring? Lenses and the such... stressssssss

D2Hs + 17-35mm + SB800 OR 1DMkII + 17-40L + Speedlite 550EX/580EX

If u're so wonderful as to throw in a outdoor shoot as well for that ang pow, prepare to rent a 85mm, 135mm portrait lens (if u're a prime guy) or a 70-200mm lens to cover it all in 1 go.

Money can't buy friendship, but it will show the true 'face' of another. ;)

Malakite said:
Well, now comes the imp part, I'm gonna loan a dlsr system from CSers here in the comsumers corner, but i dunno wat system to rent? Which one better?

The choices are
Canon EOS 1D Camera or
S3Pro or
D2Hs

none of above! get a mid range (d70, 20d, 350)... the pic quality is much better then enough shooting at hi-res fine jpeg.. also the built-in flash serves as a backup.. and the concern is to get your hands on a good flash as your need consistent lighting throughtout the event.. imo sb800 or 580ex (try to use bounce card, omibounce might give u a little hard time).. it's also ur challenge to maintain correct exposure throughout the event.. it's goes indoor, outdoor, indoor, nite... etc.. for the 3 models i stated above.. just use kits lens will be good in term of range.. and at very very min 2 gb memory and lotsa batts.. gd luck!

jsbn said:
D2Hs + 17-35mm + SB800 OR 1DMkII + 17-40L + Speedlite 550EX/580EX

If u're so wonderful as to throw in a outdoor shoot as well for that ang pow, prepare to rent a 85mm, 135mm portrait lens (if u're a prime guy) or a 70-200mm lens to cover it all in 1 go.

Money can't buy friendship, but it will show the true 'face' of another. ;)

eh, no la, no out door shoot, just from church to dinner..

DT_ said:
none of above! get a mid range (d70, 20d, 350)... the pic quality is much better then enough shooting at hi-res fine jpeg.. also the built-in flash serves as a backup.. and the concern is to get your hands on a good flash as your need consistent lighting throughtout the event.. imo sb800 or 580ex (try to use bounce card, omibounce might give u a little hard time).. it's also ur challenge to maintain correct exposure throughout the event.. it's goes indoor, outdoor, indoor, nite... etc.. for the 3 models i stated above.. just use kits lens will be good in term of range.. and at very very min 2 gb memory and lotsa batts.. gd luck!

whoo.. tks dude.. lotas info... will check if i can get my hands on the above models..

Alternatively other usable combo:

Nikon D70/D70s + 18-70 + SB800
Canon 20D + EFS 18-55/17-40L + 550EX/580EX
Minolta Dynax 7D + 18-70 + 5600HS
Fuji S3Pro + 17-35 + SB800

Since its juz church & wedding thing, mostly will be group shots and stuff like dat.

Malakite said:
eh, no la, no out door shoot, just from church to dinner..

not all church can use flash, must know how to handle the situation

not all dinner can bounce flash, again... must know how to handle the situation

very important or it'll turn out to be a pile of 2gb digital waste data... :think:

BTW, try to get ur hands on the baby earlier and practice around it first.

Using the actual battle as a test firing ground for new toys is never a good idea.

I am very confused here about the whole thread. According to the OP, the couple is prepared to pay S$1000 for the photographer. At that price, there are quite a few good wedding photographers out there. And yet, they insisted on using our OP, who had admitted that he know nuts about wedding photography.

Am I the only one seeing that the story just doesn't hold water. I am not accsuing anyone, but still, the whole thing does not make sense.

Do you guys think is a good idea for him to get a DSLR which he never use before, to go and shoot a wedding? And he never mention that he had even shoot a wedding before, this wedding will be held just next Saturday?

:dunno:

catchlights said:
Do you guys think is a good idea for him to get a DSLR which he never use before, to go and shoot a wedding? And he never mention that he had even shoot a wedding before, this wedding will be held just next Saturday?

i second your opinion....u said it all, man.... i was wondering...darn...it's such a BIG risk

PRO CAMERA does not equate BETTER PICS :sweat: ..... It's always the one who is in control..if the camera controls you..hum liao

catchlights said:

paid or not paid, friendship is on the line. but as I once read a post from a wedding photographer, many couple do not care that much or do not know anything about quality photo. So, maybe, risk is there, but not that high.

The whole thinhg still does not add up.

catchlights said:

exactly...

er, threadstarter...pls stick to using ur coolpix or wadever...its better to use something damn well like ur own cam...not get a brand new system that u noe nothing abt!! pls pls..dun look down on ur own camera..dont let the renting of DSLR give urself false sense of confidence..

my 2cents worth, if u ask me.

Btw keep us updated on the outcome!

Coz I've got 2 such requests frm 2 frenz for this mth (ROM) and next mth (Actual day). :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Same position =p

you don even own a SLR?
sounds dangerous to me ..

but let mi tag along .. shoot for fun can? :bsmilie:

Gosh, the wedding's so soon? Some things you need to prepare, really soon!
  • If there's a rehearsal at the church, it would be a good thing to go down to the place and recce the place, as well as familiarise yourself with the proceedings. As practically soon as possible, get hold of the actual day sequence as soon as possible.
  • As some others have mentioned, either you stick with your Coolpix, or else go get the rented equippment early (not just a day or two before!) and familiarise yourself with it. Nothing can make you hate yourself more than to fiddle around and miss the precious moment.
  • Communicate with your couple. What are their expectations, and tell them yours.
  • Rehearse in your mind, over and over again, what to cover. People, flowers, rings, and other things.
  • You are in control. Somehow the photographer is the biggest in the wedding, bigger than the couple. :sweatsm:
  • Prepare backup equipment, especially if you're the only photographer. If possible, borrow a similar camera body.
  • Ask your couple to act extra-slow-mo so that you have time to frame your shots.
Case in point: I asked the groom to kiss like 2 or 3 times over after the uncovering of the veil because he was too fast and was in a wrong angle. I'll rather than he repeat it than to have no documentation of a defining moment. But in all times, be humble and request nicely.

doug3fflux said:
exactly...

er, threadstarter...pls stick to using ur coolpix or wadever...its better to use something damn well like ur own cam...not get a brand new system that u noe nothing abt!! pls pls..dun look down on ur own camera..dont let the renting of DSLR give urself false sense of confidence..

my 2cents worth, if u ask me.

wah... well the onli reason i'm renting a dslr system is because my own cam doesn't perform well on low light situations, it takes for ever to focus right, and well, if i were to try to change the iso, the pics are wayyy too noisy to use... well that's my reasoning anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.