Help! Dilemna

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsbn said:
Well, the first time round as the main photographer, I oso almost pissed in my pants.

But I took all my shifu's advice, cool under fire, stay alert and always remember that the photographer shld be controlling the couple & the crowd. Not the other way.

Bearing these words in mind, I went ahead, still nervous but my shots turned out.

I don have shifu loh
Wiith d70kit+sb800 i think i can cover the whole event

But wedding , ROM .. don really know the procedure and such ..
screw up .. cannot retry one :sweat:

Malakite said:
................. the amount that she decided on was about $1000, meals and transport provided, no need to print, full day coverage.(According to her, that's about the rates she was quoted for, too much? too little?:dunno: )

Honestly, I would shoot her wedding for just a token sum because she's my friend. I've tried to tell her that I'm not too sure about it, and I have also shown her my crap shots, problem is, she's seen my good shots too... so she really hopes that I will agree.

I so need better equipt to shoot her wedding if i do intend to... currently i'm just using a prosumer coolpix.... i dunno but i feel like the cam cannot make it for low light indoor shots. sianz

Are you kidding?!!?
She willing to pay you 1K for soft copy only!?!

pple who doesnt hav depth knowledge of photography (esp in modern digital days) usually think it's just a matter of aim and shoot... :think: they never understand photographing an event can be screwed-up.......

sORe-EyEz said:
on a practical note, if u r shooting d whole day- do u hav time 4 a quick bite? :sweat:
Personally I think that even if u're invited to sit down to eat, its not right to be sitting down and eating with the guests when u're actually paid to do a job. :think:

catchlights said:
Are you kidding?!!?
She willing to pay you 1K for soft copy only!?!
Its these sort of clients all of us working professionals and freelancers wish to have instead of peepz who'd bargain till u'll have to practically pay the couple for a shoot. :bsmilie:

Or how abt clients who keep complaining abt 'budget issues' when they can afford to hold an extravagant wedding dinner? :bsmilie:

simon80 said:
I don have shifu loh

D70 kit, SB800, more den enuff.

My supposedly 'puny' Minolta 5D + kit lens + 3600HS covered ROMs.
A supposedly 'inferior' Canon 300D + kit lens + Sigma flash covered D&Ds.
I'd seen another D&D photographer covering a D&D with exactly the same equipment as urs and churned out excellent shots.
I'd seen colleagues with 'inferior' prosumers with brands like Fuji & Panasonic doing up shots rivalling that of $3K cameras.

U're saying? :cool:

Well, for wedding things like Tea Ceremony, bride veiling (too much can't remember all. Ask ur Mum) are events u can't miss or u'll die an instant death.

ROM... Signing the paper and those standard record shots. Walking into the room and things like dat. Ask those who'd ROMed. Or alternatively, put urself in the shoes of the couple and ask urself what is most important for u. That'll be the best method. :thumbsup:

simon80 said:
I don have shifu loh

go and volunteer to be a "brother" of any guy getting married, stick with him and the photographer closely, ask the parents about all the customs, they will be very happy to tell you.

Take time off to attend the ROM ceremony of anyone you know of, remember to give ang pow, you may be invited for lunch reception.

I feel for you, man.

I had offered to be a 'free' photographer for a fren during his ROM and now he insists that i do his AD as well.... The thing is that his ROM was easy, since it's mostly outdoors and group shots. I don't think I have the skill and speed to switch lens and adjust setting for the myraid situations presented by a wedding event...

and there's no way i can refuse him coz that'll prob mean the end of our frenship!

i'm just waiting until this May (his wedding day) to lose him as a fren after he sees all the underexposed and poorly composed shots.

hey dude,

If it's so hard to say 'no' to your friend, who has so much confidence in you. My advice to you would be : SHOOT THE WEDDING AS IF IT WAS YOURS ....... you will probably not miss out much :lovegrin: Hey...you are using a digital cam...so dun worry too much...if u ve delivered good shots before, I am sure you can shoot them again :thumbsup:

Good Luck and do keep us posted :p

AhV said:
hey dude,

If it's so hard to say 'no' to your friend, who has so much confidence in you. My advice to you would be : SHOOT THE WEDDING AS IF IT WAS YOURS ....... you will probably not miss out much :lovegrin: Hey...you are using a digital cam...so dun worry too much...if u ve delivered good shots before, I am sure you can shoot them again :thumbsup:

Good Luck and do keep us posted :p

u mean remarry? :hung:

jsbn said:
Personally I think that even if u're invited to sit down to eat, its not right to be sitting down and eating with the guests when u're actually paid to do a job. :think:

liddat how, liquid diet? milo, redbull? :dunno:

sORe-EyEz said:
Goto Queenstown shopping centre, get one of those camel packs, fill it up with 2 litres of [insert preferred choice of beverage] and when u're feeling peckish, juz pull the tube to ur mouth and suck.

If u need a camel pack, I can lend u mine. Buy ur own tube though. :bsmilie:

sORe-EyEz said:

snickers,mars or ..
carbon loading a few days before? :bsmilie:

Malakite said:
Yeah in this case, I'm like totally clueless about a wedding shoot, the eqquipt to use for one... as i've said... only using a prosumer now.

Then there's the situations that might crop up, Seriously, for all the professionals who shoot weddings for a living, i kow-tow to you man, how to put up with all that anxiety i dunno ( and that's just PLANNING for the shoot,I haven't even tried it yet!) :eek:

All in all, i really think that it's a sweet gesture of my friends to want me there, but wahhhh this kinda stress.... i rather live without. How la?

Malakite said:
well, I dun think it's about the money. I've gotten down to talking with her today and SHE thought i was worried that they won't pay me much hence my lack of interest in the job, Well I dunno... the amount that she decided on was about $1000, meals and transport provided, no need to print, full day coverage.(According to her, that's about the rates she was quoted for, too much? too little?:dunno: )

Honestly, I would shoot her wedding for just a token sum because she's my friend. I've tried to tell her that I'm not too sure about it, and I have also shown her my crap shots, problem is, she's seen my good shots too... so she really hopes that I will agree.

I so need better equipt to shoot her wedding if i do intend to... currently i'm just using a prosumer coolpix.... i dunno but i feel like the cam cannot make it for low light indoor shots. sianz
On the second thought, maybe you can use this opportunity to help my friend, both of you can shoot the wedding side by side, of course the couple must agreed on this first.

$1K? I do it!!! :D

Aiyah, it seems that you really want to shoot but lack the courage so therefore you come online and is actually seeking our 'approval'.

If you really don't want, you'd have turned down straight away liao (or bring me along, we split u-30%, I 70%? :bsmilie: )

catchlights said:
can't you eat something before you go for dinner shoot? only 4 hours without eat anything also can not meh?

orh, no la, i not d 1 shooting. pointing out wad i tot was a practical q, if he's shooting d whole day. :)

jsbn said:
Goto Queenstown shopping centre, get one of those camel packs, fill it up with 2 litres of [insert preferred choice of beverage] and when u're feeling peckish, juz pull the tube to ur mouth and suck.

If u need a camel pack, I can lend u mine. Buy ur own tube though. :bsmilie:

gd idea! thou such a gadget won't look appropriate on such an occasion but he's not in d pic anyway. i may adopt ur idea if i m ever asked 2 shoot 4 a frd or relative! :)

i do hav tt gadget u r refering 2. :thumbsup:

simon80 said:
snickers,mars or ..
carbon loading a few days before? :bsmilie:

cannot lah, wait tt day constantly go toilet unload how? :bsmilie:

Refuse any payment. Not a cent.

Do it for her. And tell her it is FOC or you will NOT do it.

But tell her you may screw up.
Secondly, tell her what you just told her.
Then tell her again that you may screw up.

If you really do screw up the wedding pictures, she won't be smiling anymore and she will not say "aiyah, never mind"

You will lose the friendhsip.

Status
Not open for further replies.