Help - Data Recovery


Status
Not open for further replies.

USM

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
14,982
0
0
Visit site
#1
To all the IT experts & gurus, I would appreciate that you can provide me some help with regards to this problem that I am facing.


Firstly, I am not able to boot my notebook. The error message is that some system files are missing.

What are steps that I had taken so far.

1) Remove the notebook hard disk

2) Insert it into a external HDD drive

3) Connect the external HDD drive to another notebook via USB cable

4) From the other notebook, access to my C drive and copied those files that I wanted.

5) I didn't touch my the other local partition drive which is D because I am not going to reformat it.

6) Put back my hard disk back to the original notebook.

7) Reinstall WIN XP and reformatted C drive.

8) After that, I can still access my C drive.

Problem now is - I can't access my D drive. It has denied my access even though it showed that the local drive exists from My Computer.

How can I access the D drive so that I can retrieve my files? :sweat:

Hope some IT gurus can advise me. Many thanks. :)
 

dreamerz

Senior Member
Aug 13, 2005
888
0
0
30
Tampines
www.sherman-photography.net
#2
USM said:
To all the IT experts & gurus, I would appreciate that you can provide me some help with regards to this problem that I am facing.


Firstly, I am not able to boot my notebook. The error message is that some system files are missing.

What are steps that I had taken so far.

1) Remove the notebook hard disk

2) Insert it into a external HDD drive

3) Connect the external HDD drive to another notebook via USB cable

4) From the other notebook, access to my C drive and copied those files that I wanted.

5) I didn't touch my the other local partition drive which is D because I am not going to reformat it.

6) Put back my hard disk back to the original notebook.

7) Reinstall WIN XP and reformatted C drive.

8) After that, I can still access my C drive.

Problem now is - I can't access my D drive. It has denied my access even though it showed that the local drive exists from My Computer.

How can I access the D drive so that I can retrieve my files? :sweat:

Hope some IT gurus can advise me. Many thanks. :)
did u encrypt ur file in d:/ previously?
 

USM

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
14,982
0
0
Visit site
#5
dreamerz said:
did u encrypt ur file in d:/ previously?
I don't think so. I am not an expert in IT. Sigh man. :cry:

I just did a normal re-installation of Window XP.

The screen showed what drive do yuo want to reformat. I have chosen C drive and selected format using NTFS.
 

hazta

New Member
Jul 17, 2005
1,036
0
0
SG,Northern
#6
Hi there,

Has e problem been solved?

Questions?

1) Wat was e initial OS b4 u formatted Drive C?
2) Watz e File System for ur drive D (NTFS or FAT32)?
 

USM

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
14,982
0
0
Visit site
#7
hazta said:
Hi there,

Has e problem been solved?

Questions?

1) Wat was e initial OS b4 u formatted Drive C?
2) Watz e File System for ur drive D (NTFS or FAT32)?

1) The OS is Window XP. I am doing a re-installation.

2) I have no idea what is the file system for the D drive.
But using the Computer Management tool, I saw that my file system for C drive is NTFS while D drive is blank.

I think that when I reformatted my C drive using NTFS, it only recognised this system while my D drive could be in FAT's file system. Hence, I am not able to access it now after reformatting.
 

hazta

New Member
Jul 17, 2005
1,036
0
0
SG,Northern
#8
Ok, try diz first...

1) From my computer right click on ur D drive
2) Click on e Explore tab from e menu
3) Reply here whether u r able to retrieve ur stuff or not

Good Luck... ;)
 

C

cardsharpclark

Guest
#9
I think kietgnoel's reply might be useful.
 

USM

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
14,982
0
0
Visit site
#10
Based on some friends analysis, it could be due to When I reformatted the C drive which is the primary partition, the logical drive D will be reformatted as well. I can't remember whether I partition the D drive as primary or logical. :cry:

If I partition the D drive as logical, and I reformatted the primary partitin C drive, can I still do something about it to recover the data from D drive?


I try to convert th D drive to NTSF file system, but it will show you that it's already in NTSF. When you go to the Disk Management, the file system is blank, and the disk space is totally unused. :dunno:

Anyone know how to do data recovery? I heard that you neeed a specialised software. :dunno:
 

USM

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
14,982
0
0
Visit site
#12
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
ya u need... it'll do a raw retrieval... takes time also...
Which shop would you recommend?

Or is the any there any kind soul to help me to do it. :dunno:
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#13
USM said:
Which shop would you recommend?

Or is the any there any kind soul to help me to do it. :dunno:
i have the software... but i am not free to do it... sorry... :embrass:

think there was a thread somewhere that says about the service... and i think someone told me about before as well... he brought to SLS, think quote him 700+
 

AEC

New Member
May 26, 2004
10
0
0
#14
Try Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS - Windows Data Recovery Software, Click Here.
 

USM

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
14,982
0
0
Visit site
#15
AEC said:
Try Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS - Windows Data Recovery Software, Click Here.
Thanks Dude. :thumbsup:

Anyone has a recovery software to lend such as this one - Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS - Windows Data Recovery Software.
 

AhV

Senior Member
Jun 10, 2004
2,141
0
36
Northland
#16
USM said:
Thanks Dude. :thumbsup:

Anyone has a recovery software to lend such as this one - Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS - Windows Data Recovery Software.

I emphatise your situation :( I lost one hardisk of images previously...very costly to retrieve ...was quoted $1200 ++ by some data recovery company..they seemed confident tho ....recovery software are not cheap too... not very nice to lend ...pay them a sum la...provided they agree :)



good luck ....as I had lost ALL my images :cry:
 

USM

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
14,982
0
0
Visit site
#18
hwchoy said:
why don't you copy out the files when your notebook disk is on the external HDD?
can you still try that?
Too late liao Bro. :cry:

I have already reformatted the C drive.

It's a mistake for not copying all the files out before I reformat my hard disk.
 

#19
What is the size of your harddisk? What is the size of D?

I doubt that your D drive was formatted. Have you tried running software like Partition Magic to see what it says about D?
 

sharf

New Member
Dec 7, 2005
113
0
0
Toa Payoh
#20
Hi,

kietgnoel's solution should work


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/en-us

I have had situations like this before and all I had to do was change the owner of the Folder/Disk.

If this does not work use Getdataback a software that can be downloaded but you need to pay 40 US if you want to recover your files.

Sharf
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom