Help! D90 or 50D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sihin

Jan 14, 2010
HI all bro,

Need some serious helps to getting a new DSLR.

Nikon D90 kit ( 18-105mm )
Canon 50D kit ( 18-55 )

Need some expert could advise which of the model above is better for long term invest.
Understand tat 50D specs is alittle better D90 but D90 model is newer. Video is not a must.
Just hope the money i spent is worth and without changing again and again on body.

P.S Newbie here :)

Both are good long-term investments. So are cameras from other brands. Have you tested the cameras? Tried them? Felt them to see which feels the most comfortable?

both are equally good bodies. both are for good long term investments. both are powerful brands.

the question comes next, have you tried them both ? have you felt how it fits in your hands ? how the UI or user interface feels to you.. how the buttons are... how the weight is.. how the zooming goes...

then you decide which one you prefer . because , both are 100% good . i chose nikon for its UI and grip . my friend chose canon for the same reason. how it feels in your hands differ from people to people

HI all bro,

Canon 50D kit ( 18-55 )

Need some expert could advise which of the model above is better for long term invest.
Understand tat 50D specs is alittle better D90 but D90 model is newer. Video is not a must.
Just hope the money i spent is worth and without changing again and again on body.

if u compare the e 50D 18-55mm kit lens really no fight with the D90 18-105mm, cos u talk abt long term, the 18-55mm certainly will not be sufficient, u'd need to look at the 18-135mm or the 18-200mm kit. so now u need to compare the budget.

i was like u contemplating b/w D90 n 50D too but end up w D90 due to various factors. so my advice is to work out ur budget carefully (taking into consideration the lens, filters, bag, dry cabinet) then go down to handle the body physically, play around w them, it'll give u a much clearer idea of which u like better

if you are asking me, i would say the 50D. the build quality is very different.

HI all bro,

Canon 50D kit ( 18-55 )

you can try the PENTAX K-7, now on sale with dual kit WR lenses...
most is getting one as the price will bounce back to original price after CNY.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632076&page=17

I guess you better not rush into buying but to gather more feedback and feel the body first.

I also start off like you, passionate on buying Canon camera but after evaluating their pros and cons, Nikon win me over instead.

500D price tag is affordable but body is small, feel no good for Man. More of a lady camera. (Forgive me for saying that :D)

50D is also one of my evaluated camera but I feel too exp for newbie.

I end up deciding on Nikon D90 which sit between the above 2 in price,size, feel and quality.

My 2cents opinion. :cool:

With the recent price CNY offer for the Pentax K-7 + dual WR lens kit, you'll be a carrot not to go for that over the D90 or 50D.

The D90 and 50D are mid-ranged DSLRs that offer pentaprism, secondary LCDs and dual command dials over the entry-level DSLRs.
The Pentax K-7 is a prosumer model like the ~$2400 Canon 7D and ~$2440 Nikon D300s, that have the following features over the mid-ranged DSLRs:
- Weather resistance
- 100% View Finder
- Electronic Level
- AF assist lamp

And how much does the K-7 cost? Somewhere just under $2400? No... it's below $1350 ($1338 at SLR Revo). That's cheaper than or around the same for the body only D50 and D90. If you choose to go for the WR dual kit lens (18-55mm WR + 50-200mm WR) it's an extra $440 ($419 at SLR Revo).

It's obvious what the smart choice is.

As brand is my primary ;)

I will only choose Nikon or Canon btw D90 or 50D only.

I been shopping almost 2 weeks btw this 2 model. I have feel and hope both before and both feel good. As over the specs 50D have 6.3 fps and 4.5 fps for D90. And yes Nikon have a nicer body but Canon 50D have a more robust body.

Will settle down either one this week and hope to get more review over their real specs and quality of photos of both too.

I suggest you should buy a Canon 7D (if you need the video then get it and fast action) or Canon 50D ( Don't have the video and fast action )

D90 isn't newer model than 50D, both were launched about the same time, a newer model doesn't mean it's better than other, you have to look at the specs, and also your preference, besides there're strengths and weaknesses between them.

To choose one, first you have to set a budget. Since it's a long term investment for you, then perhaps you have a higher budget. Kit lens is good for newbie like us, (yes, I'm a D90 owner, just started new months ago), but assume you're going to advance later, and if you're not satisfied with the photos taken by kit lens, then choose other lens rather than kit lens will be a better option. Find out what you want to take, portrait/landscape/etc, surveying the lens you need. But I'm not telling that not to choose kit lens, but meaning that looking for more options and spend your every dollar wisely.

Compare the specs between them, find out the features you prefer, play around with them. I think you can make decision by then.

Good luck on hunting =)

and btw, you might want to look at 40D. which many said that the noise control is better.. but I don't know though.

With the recent price CNY offer for the Pentax K-7 + dual WR lens kit, you'll be a carrot not to go for that over the D90 or 50D.

The D90 and 50D are mid-ranged DSLRs that offer pentaprism, secondary LCDs and dual command dials over the entry-level DSLRs.
The Pentax K-7 is a prosumer model like the ~$2400 Canon 7D and ~$2440 Nikon D300s, that have the following features over the mid-ranged DSLRs:
- Weather resistance
- 100% View Finder
- Electronic Level
- AF assist lamp

And how much does the K-7 cost? Somewhere just under $2400? No... it's below $1350 ($1338 at SLR Revo). That's cheaper than or around the same for the body only D50 and D90. If you choose to go for the WR dual kit lens (18-55mm WR + 50-200mm WR) it's an extra $440 ($419 at SLR Revo).

It's obvious what the smart choice is.

sigh... so you are implying that whoever doesn't buy the K7 is an idiot la....am I right?
Ok... I'm sooooo stupid.... and you are sooooo clever...
The bulb that lights up on my camera body when I auto-focus CANNOT POSSIBLY be the AF assist lamp, because only the K7 has that feature...

Last edited:
As brand is my primary ;)

I will only choose Nikon or Canon btw D90 or 50D only.

I been shopping almost 2 weeks btw this 2 model. I have feel and hope both before and both feel good. As over the specs 50D have 6.3 fps and 4.5 fps for D90. And yes Nikon have a nicer body but Canon 50D have a more robust body.

Will settle down either one this week and hope to get more review over their real specs and quality of photos of both too.

Do share with us why you have narrowed down your shortlist to these 2 brands, and even down to these 2 models.
The difference in specs between the 50D and the D90 is much more than just the continuous frame rate.

quality of photos is highly dependant on the lenses used as well.
As Ken Rockwell mentioned about the D90:

The photo examples in the D90 brochure suggest that buying a D90 will earn you a lot of young, colorful, outgoing and active friends. No photos are credited. As usual, most of the example shots are made with lenses like the 85mm f/1.4, 14-24mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8 that each cost as least as much as the D90 body alone and weigh several times as much, and would never be carried by someone young and exciting.

Amongst the two I suggest D90. Its a great cam and good ISO at low light in use. 50D is not far behind. SPec does not tell u all the story nor the catalogue.

When u buy DSLR you should consider the lens too. Canon has wide selection of lenses. Nikon selection is slightly limited.

Welcome to CS :) Go down to the shops & see & ask the same questions you asked here. Get a feel of the actual camera. Take your time, & choose the one you feel its for you & don't regret later ;)

Honestly, if you're brand conscious between the big two - it doesn't matter which one you choose as long as you're happy with it.

This boils down to your needs and main reasons why you want a dslr in the first place. Try handling both cameras at the shop - it's important that you are comfortable with the feel, build, and handling of the system.

It goes beyond brands. Having a dslr means - options to play with interchangeable lens. It's important to research the cost of lenses when you feel that you've progress beyond the kit lens. Check out the Canon and Nikon pricelists... are you prepared to pay those prices? How would you feel if you have to pay say $10,000 dollars for a 600mm lens to go with your D90? Pay attention to the economics. ;)

However, if you're open-minded. Other brands like Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic have decent bodies and a legacy collection of lenses to choose from. Sony has konica and minolta lenses, Pentax has Super Takumars, SMC lenses, Olympus... their ziuko lenses. Many of those lenses are on par, if not better than the current range of Canon/Nikon lenses at "affordable" prices.

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong if you choose either Canon or Nikon but it is totally wrong if you buy either one and don't even bother to read the owner's manual. In which case, one might as well get a point and shoot camera..... I'm sorry but i have friends who don't even bother to find out how to use a dslr. They only use the auto-mode.... :confused: Quite sure, you're NOT one of them. :)

Good luck on your search. And to all Canon and Nikon users - no offence, yah?

Just to add one last thing - a dslr is never a long term investment. Even the top of the line Professional model now will have in price after a few years as technology advances and new models come out.

Remember when a 4.1mp camera costs 800-1000. Now you can't even sell them for like $200 measly dollars. A D60 costing 1000 over can only fetch anything from 500-600 now. :dunno: No cameras is a good long time investment but of course, it will afford you hours of pleasure and years of loyal service if you'd only use it as a tool to advance your personal photography. Ok, sermon over. Bedtime... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
the investment is not on the body but the system aka lenses , flashes as well as others like memory card, dry cabinet , bags , tripods etc...

you've narrowed down to 2 choices , Canon and Nikon. They both have a long history and they're top brands for reasons.i wont say that the other brands are not good, they are but the popular ones are still those 2 brands you mentioned.

whichever you choose, be it Canon or Nikon, you've made a great choice already. whats important is as i've mentioned in my earlier post, YOU go and try it out yourself. there's no point talking about the performance right now.

why? if you go down to specs like noies control, AF(autofocus) and accessories, there isnt much different . really. My point is, technology has improved so much that you cant go that wrong . there's photoshop or image editing to help you out .. but of course you must have the skills to produce the pictures first and not make it into a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.