Help... Compact cam anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmarn

Dec 5, 2007
Singapore
Hi all... I'm looking for a compact cam that's basically PnS... I want to have a camera that's capable of taking wide angle shots (28mm) and can cope well with indoor/night shots. I was initially considering the canon ixus 860is but I've read on forums here about how it fails at higher iso settings which are critical for night settings. So I was wondering if there are any alternatives to the ixus 860is that you guys can recommend. Thanks!

Due to the small sensor size, almost all PnS will not be as good as DSLRs in terms of photo quality when it comes to night shoot. If you want something that can produce better pictures for night shoots, try the Fuji's.

Can try fujifilm F40fd, but it's not very wide angle, or S6500fd is wide angle and good night shot, but not really compact.

I've tried my friend's 860IS,
not too bad, 400 still pretty usable, 800 4R still manageable if you get the exposure right.
With a little PP, is usable with larger print.
You can't avoid this size of sensor not have noise.
My friend got it around 580 with 2GB.

In terms of noise, fuji still best though, but no 28mm...

wide or ISO? your choice.

well...i've had the opportunity to look through some photos from 860is...and to me (i.e. casual shooter) the noise levels at higher iso settings aren't so bad, in fact i find them pretty usable. the wide angle is the only deciding factor then. so i guess i'm going for the 28mm... thanks guys! closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.