Help! Clone Stamp tool stopped working suddenly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
Wonder is there a limit to how much u can use a tool?
I don't think so rite?

Well, I was editing this photo and using clone stamp tool a lot.
It was working normally at first.
Then after i created a new layer, it stopped working. When I used it, it would show up in the history, but have no effect on the photo at all.
So I deleted this new layer and went back to do the edit on the original layer. Also cannot.
So I saved the file (actually I can't remember whether this problem started after I saved file or after I made new layer now, a bit confused). Anyway, I saved the file and closed the Photoshop CS3. Then I opened CS3 again and opened the same file and tried to use clone stamp tool... still cannot.
OK, so I closed CS3 and then opened CS2 (yah, i kiasu la, got backup photoshop) and opened the same file. Also cannot use clone stamp tool.

Then, I tested other tools like brush... brush works. And the strange thing! I tested pattern stamp tool and it worked!!! So patten stamp works but clone stamp does not work!
I opened the file in CS3 again and also pattern stamp and brush works but clone stamp does not! Then I tried dodge tool... seems like it does not work but I'm not sure since I think it could be very subtle and I can't be bothered to fiddle around just for testing.

So... can someone tell me what is going on?!?
The 2 strangest things about this:
1) Pattern stamp tool works but clone stamp tool does not.
2) Despite the tool not working (no effect on photo at all), it shows up in the history as if it has been used.

By the way, I tried it with 100% hardness on contrasting backgrounds so it's very obvious that it's not working. I was working on a very large .tiff file.
Anyone has any idea what's going on and how to get this clone stamp tool to be functional again? :dunno:

Update:
I opened another .tiff file in photoshop CS3 and the clone stamp tool works....
Hmmm... so could it be a problem with that photo?
I'm wondering... is there such a thing as a maximum file size? That photo is 100 Mb.
Really strange problem... and frustrating too! :cry:

am not sure what happened, but u might like to check these options upon selecting the clone tool?
1. Mode - at "Normal" ?
2. Opacity
3. Flow - at 100%
4. sample all layers - checked if u are working on layers
5. Go to Windows - Brushes, and look thru see if there is anything weird there

Good luck!

Looks like the layer setting. You sure its set to normal in the 1st place?

You mentioned does not work. Just to confirm, no effect or cannot select? If the latter, If you can't select a clone point, its because your caps lock is on.

Try to reset the tool.
With clone stamp selected, go to the top left hand corner and click on the icon with an arrow pointing down. Then click the arrow pointing right. Reset the tool.

Its probably not the file size.
I've worked on 1.8GB files & clone works fine.

Looks like the layer setting. You sure its set to normal in the 1st place?

You mentioned does not work. Just to confirm, no effect or cannot select? If the latter, If you can't select a clone point, its because your caps lock is on.

Try to reset the tool.
With clone stamp selected, go to the top left hand corner and click on the icon with an arrow pointing down. Then click the arrow pointing right. Reset the tool.

Its probably not the file size.
I've worked on 1.8GB files & clone works fine.

Now I am not even working on the layer. I am working on the very layer that is when I open the file... called "Background" by default. Anyway, yes, it is set to normal.

I can select the tool, can even use the tool and it registers in the history when I use it, just that there is no effect at all.
Caps lock is not on.

I have reset the tool... still cannot work (no effect)! :dunno:

Also, for the tool, I have checked (and rechecked) that all the settings are correct.

Everything is correct... that is why I am cracking my head...
What the heck went wrong with this tool?!! :angry:

Help!!! :cry:

Well its definitely a problem with the first photo and not CS3 seeing as it works fine on another photo. Your probably missing something on the photo or the setting for that photo. Try flattening your image just incase there is a hidden layer and try again. Check all the flows and opacities. If this doesnt work try taking it out of PSD format by saving as a TIFF or JPEG close the file and re-open the newly saved one and see if that works.

I have solved it!
Under the channels tab, I have this quick mask layer...
Not sure where that came from... maybe accident...
I deleted this suspicious-looking layer and it works now!
Yayyyy!!! A big relief... :sweat:
Thanks to everyone for their trouble-shooting help, anyway! :)

I am having the same problem with my clone stamp. I have had cs2 for a couple years and have never had a problem. I have checked all of the things mentioned in earlier posts. My clone will not work on any picture as i have tried it on many. I even went as far as to remove it from my pc and reupload the program and it still did not work which leads me to believe it is something on my computer. I uploaded it on my childrens computer and the clone stamp works fine on the same px on their computer. I would appreciate any suggestions.

You guys tried restarting the com? Or bringing all the layers into a new file?

caps lock 'ON' turn it 'OFF'

Have tried both those things. Yes the caps lock is off. I am totally stumped.

It's weird...cause for me, when the brush/eraser tool in PS refuse to function sometimes, I'll close the file and reopen. It would solve the problem.

Try turning off the com (and turning back on, not restarting) and trying the tool on a new document.

Worse case scenario, reinstall Photoshop ;p

Try this to delete PS settings file.

1.Double click icon to launch photoshop
2.Immediately press Ctrl, Shift,Alt.
3.A window will pop-up, click YES to delete Settings File.

Should work.

Thanks for all your info. Unfortunately, none of those things worked. I did delete settings, tried 10 different px taken at different times, and did reinstall photoshop. It still does not work. It does work, however on my kids computer, so i don't think it is the photoshop disk, it has to be on my computer. It shows up on my history palatte, but not on the px. Yes, my caps lock is off. Urgh! I appreciate all your help.

I finally figured it out. I recently installed a bamboo tablet. It will not let me do it with the mouse, just the pen. If i unplug that, then i can use my mousepad. Glad to finally figure it out. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.