Help: Clean "oil" off lens

apiwales

Aug 22, 2010
Hi.

Need your expert guidance here. I was using the 50 mm f1.8 II lens over the weekend, taking pics of BBQ activity. Somehow, while taking pics of the fire, some oil "splatted" on the lens (the glass portion).

How do I clean the "oil" off the glass?

Thanks.

hotwork77

Jun 21, 2009
1°19'37.70"N 103°47'39.19"E
Hi.

Need your expert guidance here. I was using the 50 mm f1.8 II lens over the weekend, taking pics of BBQ activity. Somehow, while taking pics of the fire, some oil "splatted" on the lens (the glass portion).

How do I clean the "oil" off the glass?

Thanks.
If you have the UV filter on, just unscrew it and give it a wash with mild detergent and blow dry followed by a general cleaning with lint free cloth.

If it's on your lens glass element itself, then soak it up quickly using a tissue. Don't smudge the oil as it will be food for fungus to grow. Gently, saturate the area with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and gently clean it up with lint free cloth. Finally, use a lens pen to finish off those corners that is hard to reach. Put the whole lens into the dry cabinet to dry off whatever moisture left behind.

Hope that helps. :cool:

weegk

Jul 16, 2010
Singapore
in future pls do it immediately with a tissue paper to 'soak' up the oil first and clean it up . . . not advisable to leave the oil stain for long time . . .

apiwales

Aug 22, 2010
Hi guys,

Thank yo so much for all the advice above.

I'm cleaning the lens now (unfortunately, I did not have a UV filter on the lens at that time).

Thanks again.

Top Bottom