Help choosing a camera!! >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

janicia

Sep 4, 2008
Singapore
Hi,

I'm looking to get a camera, but I can't decide what kind/model to get. Semipro or DSLR?

I have a point-n-shoot camera, and I really hate the quality of the photos, plus, it's almost always blur because the light indoors kind of sucks. I really like the quality of DSLR photos, but lately with the many new choices out there, I don't know what to get.

Mostly, I like to take pictures of animals/pets, so it has to take clear photos for fast moving animals. Macro photos (do I need to get separate lens or can the basic lens do fine?), people.

Camera choices:
Canon EOS 500D
Nikon D3000
Nikon Coolpix P90
Panasonic Lumix LX3
Canon Powershot G10
Canon PowerShot SX-series IS
Any more recommendations?

Thank you all for your help! =))

nikon coolpix p90 has alot of noise, in low lighting, even at iso 100.

Prosumer- good for all in one, from wide angle -> telephoto, do poorly on macro shot.
Dslr- good for interchangable lens for individual needs, from wide angel- macro

Get canon camera, its more affordable even for the lens.

Go and have a look and feel of the following Prosumer Cameras:

Canon Powershot SX1 IS

Canon Powershot SX110 IS

Fujifilm Finepix S2000HD

Nikon Coolpix P90

Nikon Coolpix L100

Nikon Coolpix P6000

Olympus SP-570 UZ

Panasonic FZ28

Sony DSC-HX1

Sony DSC-H50

Up to you to decide the brand. Basic DSLRs are dirt cheap VS prosumer. Nikons, Canons, Sony's, etc are all good. I myself have no preference for brands, I'm a Canon user, but took my friends Nikon out for a drive. I'm a prime lens user, yet I used her kit lens (never used a kit in my 8yrs of DSLR). Yet I think it turns out fine, what's most impt is you understand your settings & judgements.

Which brand, we cannot advice you. But you may get a DSLR.

it's almost always blur because the light indoors kind of sucks

Even on a DSLR in similar lighting conditions, you will still get blur photos unless you use a flash or a lens with bigger aperture.

And the D5000 is a better comparison to the 500D.

Hi,

I'm looking to get a camera, but I can't decide what kind/model to get. Semipro or DSLR?

I have a point-n-shoot camera, and I really hate the quality of the photos, plus, it's almost always blur because the light indoors kind of sucks. I really like the quality of DSLR photos, but lately with the many new choices out there, I don't know what to get.

Mostly, I like to take pictures of animals/pets, so it has to take clear photos for fast moving animals. Macro photos (do I need to get separate lens or can the basic lens do fine?), people.

Camera choices:
Canon EOS 500D
Nikon D3000
Nikon Coolpix P90
Panasonic Lumix LX3
Canon Powershot G10

if ur pns has kids mode, use it to freeze fast moving animals till u decide which dslr to purchase.. D3000 might be a good start as it has a teaching mode... cheers...

Chances are good that you will run into the same problem with a DSLR. As long as you just Point and Shoot (literally) without knowing what's going on no camera can help you. It's a tool that needs you to make decisions and adjustments. A camera cannot read your mind or recognize "jumping pets in low light" despite all those advertisements about 'smile recognition' and whatever fancy stuffs.
Read the Newbie Guides here, take the manual of your PnS camera and see how to adjust those parameters which are relevant for exposure (shutter speed, ISO speed, aperture). Work from there and you might even get proper results from your current camera. Don't blame the tool too fast.

thanks all for the help! I've been to a few places to try out cameras but I don't like it when the salesperson is biased and keep trying to push a product. Where do you recommend trying out cameras where the salesperson is not biased towards a particular brand?? How should I test cameras? I'm totally new at this DSLR thing. >.<

I use a pns, but I want something more out of my pictures, if you get what I mean. My current camera is a Sony Cybershot T70 btw. Would probably attend a photography class to further understand the functions and all that of a DSLR, because I don't get any of the information online. >.< Too difficult to understand

Ahhhhhh. I'm a total n00b

Many of the mega stores have display counters that allow customers to hold and try out the cameras at their own time.

The Canon shop in Vivocity is also a good place if you are leaning towards that brand.

thanks all for the help! I've been to a few places to try out cameras but I don't like it when the salesperson is biased and keep trying to push a product. Where do you recommend trying out cameras where the salesperson is not biased towards a particular brand?? How should I test cameras? I'm totally new at this DSLR thing. >.<

Not sure whether it makes sense to run around in shops and try cameras as long as you only know which end of the cam should point to the subject. Check Vivocity, the Canon show room. Also, John 3:16 in Funan is reported as a shop with very patient and unbiased staff. Even if you don't buy they won't give you any odd look.

I use a pns, but I want something more out of my pictures, if you get what I mean. My current camera is a Sony Cybershot T70 btw. Would probably attend a photography class to further understand the functions and all that of a DSLR, because I don't get any of the information online. >.< Too difficult to understand

Then check the camera manual whether this Cybershot can be switched to Manual mode. If yes you can use this cam to attend the basic photography sessions (e.g. from objectifs) where you get a basic training about taking pictures. Maybe you will learn that your Cybershot can take already really good pictures - if you only know how to operate it :)
Have you seen this Guide to DSLR Photography for Newbies?

ooo. Didn't know there was a Canon showroom at Vivo. Hmmm. Shall go check it out. Anyway I checked out objectifs' website and the photography classes require an SLR/DSLR. =( And I read the quide for beginners already, but didn't really get it, because no matter how I adjust (my camera has a manual mode), the pictures still look about the same...? Or maybe I'm just lousy T.T

But for a beginner, do you recommend getting an Okay-ish DSLR (like 500D or something equvalent), or something really entry level (Nikon D3000? - I assume, because of the built-in guides). So if I want to upgrade in the future, I should just invest in lenses right? Not buy a new body? @_@

Go and try all these entry-level DSLR:

Canon EOS 1000D

Nikon D40

Sony A230

Pentax K-m

Olympus E520

500D okayish? It's really quite a powerful cam for its price, I've the chance to testdrive it the other time. Lightning speed focus. More than does it's job. You just need to upgrade the lenses in future, the body will prob last you a long time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call J3:16 unbiased :)

There're ton of things, literally, to know about photography and DSLR when one first starts. Took me 4 months of reading and researching to land my first purchase. All I can advise is to take your time, only commit a purchase when you're sure enough.

Also, John 3:16 in Funan is reported as a shop with very patient and unbiased staff.

Patient yes, unbiased no:)

Hi,

Camera choices:
Canon EOS 500D
Nikon D3000
Nikon Coolpix P90
Panasonic Lumix LX3
Canon Powershot G10

I feel for you, because I can empathise with your current 'predicament'.
When you're totally noob, the choices can be bewildering.

Here's my suggestion:
1) Set a budget. The maximum amount that you can comfortably spend on a camera + accessories.

2) If your budget allows for a DSLR, then you should make a shortlist and go try them out to see how they feel in your hands. Ergonomics are very important. In terms of image quality, they are more or less equals. As a newbie, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart when they're used correctly.

3) Once you've narrowed down to 1 or 2 possibilities, then search online further to see reviews. Perhaps someone has complained before about an issue that might be important to you.

* remember to set aside enough budget for other accessories like dry cabinet, etc. You can slowly save up for additional lenses, etc.

Ahhhhhh. I'm a total n00b

go to canon showroom (Vivo City) or nikon showroom (Fuji Xerox Building, Anson Road), the staff there should be able to advice you on functions of camera and you can try as long as you want and won't be like in shops where they will try to get you to buy certain model as soon as possible...tried sony at paragon, staff was helpful but a little hard sell:bsmilie:

as for shooting pets, shooting indoor might need to use flash to stop motion to prevent blur images. best to get a flash unit so you can bounce flash to ceiling to get a more natural lighting, the built-in pop up flash might not be as ideal as the lighting will be harsh, with hard shadows and 'red eye'. and direct flash might not be good for pets eyes:dunno:

for macro, there are quite a few ways to achieve macro focusing distance, mainly extension tubes, close-up filters, reverse lens method and the most obvious, buy a dedicated macro lens... there are a lot of info online, just do some searches online if you are really interested in macro photography. some members here might be able to help in macro & close-up section.

for portraits, any lenses will do with proper techniques and composition, depending on what kind of portraits you looking at. lots of example in portrait section or online searches...

do some reading and researches especially on pricing and black listed shops to prevent being 'chop' by them especially being new to photography... ;) hope this helps...

Ohhhh.

Ermmmm My budget is around $1.5k? Hoping to not overspend by too much though. Apparently I'm not the only one who think salespersons are biased. >.<

Looking more at the 500D, D3000 and a few other smaller semipro cameras... I'm not very sure, but how much does a flash unit usually cost?? I can still get pretty good pictures without a macro lens right? O.O

thanks all again for the many many tips! =))

USING T70 for action shot e.g. pets running around

Indoor

1. set shooting mode to Program Auto

2. set ISO to either 400 or 800 (you may even have to use 1600 to freeze the action)

Outdoor

Use the shoot mode with the picture of the man with the golf club (Hi-Speed Shutter)

Hi, Panasonic G1, a light weight portable camera, around $1k, for walkabout shooting with interchangeable lens, 3" 420K dots screen, but no video compared with LX3.

Status
Not open for further replies.