Help! Can't open my RAW files!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickerz

I shoot last weekend using RAW for the first time on my Canon 40d. I couldn't open the CR2 file with my Photoshop CS2 on my laptop, and was prompted "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." I was told that CS2 is not the updated version, meaning I have to upgrade to CS3.

So, the next day I tried opening photoshop CS3 at my workplace, and still it doesn't work. The same message pop-up appear. But then my friend can open my files with her CS3 (I gave my CF card to her).

What exactly the problem is? How to solve it? I just bought my 40d earlier this month and no firmware was update or whatsoever....Is there a necessary action to update firmware of 40d by the way? I'm totally unaware.

And I never install any softwares given with the Canon disc either because I thought photoshop has the capability to do so with the RAW files.

Please advise. Thanks.

Last edited:
I using PS CS4 and facing the same problem with my NEF files (i using Nikon D90 to shoot in RAW). having the same problem also. End up i need to download and install Camera Raw 5.2 Update to enable my CS4 open my NEF files.

I shoot last weekend using RAW for the first time on my Canon 40d. I couldn't open the CR2 file with my Photoshop CS2 on my laptop, and was prompted "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." I was told that CS2 is not the updated version, meaning I have to upgrade to CS3.

So, the next day I tried opening photoshop CS3 at my workplace, and still it doesn't work. The same message pop-up appear. But then my friend can open my files with her CS3 (I gave my CF card to her).

What exactly the problem is? How to solve it? I just bought my 40d earlier this month and no firmware was update or whatsoever....Is there a necessary action to update firmware of 40d by the way? I'm totally unaware.

And I never install any softwares given with the Canon disc either because I thought photoshop has the capability to do so with the RAW files.

Please advise. Thanks.

Clickerz, i found these website (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=windows&product=39) and i think u can download Camera Raw Update 4.6 for ur CS3.

You can download the Adobe DNG raw converter to convert your canon raw files to the Adobe DNG format
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

After that you should be able to open the file in CS2.
Hope this helps.
The reason why your CS3 cannot open the file and your friend's version is able to is because the version is not updated. You have to update the camera raw for it to do so.

So meaning these softwares convert the RAW files to another format (DNG for the PS update and JPEG/TIFF for the Stepok Raw Importer) that can be read by Photoshop? Then what should I do with the original Raw files? Sorry, this is my first time using RAW and I'm so blurr.

Canon comes with a software that can read RAW and can convert to the various modes. Install the Canon software.

As to what to do with RAW files after the conversion, the same applies to what do you do with the original jpg files after you PP them. RAW files is just a format like jpg, tiff, bmp. What you want to do with them is entirely up to you. The question is why you want to take in RAW in the first place? If you can answer this, then what you do with RAW after the conversion is inmaterial.

Like patxinhu said, just install the RAW 4.6. I'm using the exact setup as you and I've been through that. Just get the RAW 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.