Help~ Can't decide on lens~

gkw12345

Aug 10, 2009
Ermm... I'm still considering what lens to buy...
I hv one question...
Is the difference in quality of 'kit lens' standard and those +- $800-1000 lens very large? If you have photos to compare the 2 it would be awesome~

I hv one question...
Is the difference in quality of 'kit lens' standard and those +- $800-1000 lens very large? If you have photos to compare the 2 it would be awesome~

u know what wld be awesome, if u actually google and research the lens u interested... im sure u will find the result fascinating... out of the world dude with some effort u will feel it...

u know what wld be awesome, if u actually google and research the lens u interested... im sure u will find the result fascinating... out of the world dude with some effort u will feel it...

Thx dude
Your reply totally helped
Really hope to see more of such replies

You may check out flickr to see the tonnes of photos taken by kit lenses. If used correctly to its strength, kit lenses are pretty awesome.
In the real world, no one can tell what lens was used to take the photo

You may check out flickr to see the tonnes of photos taken by kit lenses. If used correctly to its strength, kit lenses are pretty awesome.
In the real world, no one can tell what lens was used to take the photo

http://stylepeterson.com/photography-articles/pro-consumer-lenses

come a link for you to read, and might help u...

firstly, if u wanna seek help at least list down a lens that u are comparing... it helps us to help u a bit, the rest is solely up to you,

Thx alot~
Guess I'm just gonna get the kit lens-priced lenses in that case~

I hv one question...

what lens do you have now?

what lens do you have now?

I'm planning on getting the EF-S EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS~
If u have used them before, based on your experience, are they good lenses?

I'm planning on getting the EF-S EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS~

Its hard to answer questions like these. How do you define good? Good for what purpose?
These were taken with an 18-55.

End of the day, a sword is as good as its wielder.

i cant say much abt canon lenses as im not a canon user, so i cant say much abt the lenses,

if i were u, i would get the tamron 17-50 2.8 and the 55-250 IS... if get both second hand shldnt cost u more than 900 i think....

thats my 2 cents...

i never get the 18-55 so cannot comment on that but many people said that it's a sharp lens, for 55-250, i've used it just recently on AFA X and find it to be reasonably sharp even wide open and the IS does help a lot(i've tried a 70-210 f3.5-4.5 before and i've to give it up because i've to bump up the shutter speed everytime i shoot coz of my shaky hands), i dun think anything could go wrong with it + those lens are cheap, if i were you i'll get those 2 + a good flash gun :D

Last edited:
Its hard to answer questions like these. How do you define good? Good for what purpose?
These were taken with an 18-55.

End of the day, a sword is as good as its wielder.

Wow :O
You're an awesome sword-wielder~

i cant say much abt canon lenses as im not a canon user, so i cant say much abt the lenses,

if i were u, i would get the tamron 17-50 2.8 and the 55-250 IS... if get both second hand shldnt cost u more than 900 i think....

thats my 2 cents...

Hmm... Is Tamron sharper than Canon? My fren, an expert, says that Canon lenses are sharper than Tamron's, although if it is just slightly sharper, the Tamron with its 2.8f would be a btr option~

i never get the 18-55 so cannot comment on that but many people said that it's a sharp lens, for 55-250, i've used it just recently on AFA X and find it to be reasonably sharp even wide open and the IS does help a lot(i've tried a 70-210 f3.5-4.5 before and i've to give it up because i've to bump up the shutter speed everytime i shoot coz of my shaky hands), i dun think anything could go wrong with it + those lens are cheap, if i were you i'll get those 2 + a good flash gun :D

Oh ok~
I don't really take photos which require flash that often...
To be 100% honest, I'm a total newb for flashes (As such, pardon my [maybe stupid] questions)~ :D
Which flash do you recommend?
Is the external flash wayyyyy more effective than the pop-up?
Cost?
Thx~

A personal opinion, a flash is definately worth investing. Which to get might be a tricky question to answer... I guess it depends on what you can afford. Getting the higher end ones would be recommended.

About lens, try to get faster lens. Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 would be my recommendation due to it's IQ and it's price.

A personal opinion, a flash is definately worth investing. Which to get might be a tricky question to answer... I guess it depends on what you can afford. Getting the higher end ones would be recommended.

About lens, try to get faster lens. Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 would be my recommendation due to it's IQ and it's price.

Yeah
The reason I'm still considering the Tamron is cos of its f number and I would immediately buy it without hesitation over the Canon, but I'm still not to sure about the difference in sharpness of the 2 lenses~

Yeah
The reason I'm still considering the Tamron is cos of its f number and I would immediately buy it without hesitation over the Canon, but I'm still not to sure about the difference in sharpness of the 2 lenses~

the best way to see for yourself, its try both lenses, take the same picture, go back review it... see if it suits ya level and expectation of sharpness....

the best way to see for yourself, its try both lenses, take the same picture, go back review it... see if it suits ya level and expectation of sharpness....

Yeah, but I can't get my hands on both lenses! The only way I can get both is by testing them out at a camera shop and I cannot view the quality on a pc in a camera shop~ I will only leave the camera shop with one lens!~

Yeah, but I can't get my hands on both lenses! The only way I can get both is by testing them out at a camera shop and I cannot view the quality on a pc in a camera shop~ I will only leave the camera shop with one lens!~

well u can either bring a laptop down, or take the pics go back review, than only purchase ya lens later....:)

i am using kit lens 18-55 its very good for all kind of photo taking session but 55mm is not enough for me.
i did try on EF-S 55-250mm at bird park for bird shooting and the outcome is awesome.
Recently i borrow my fren's 24-105mm F4 L and the picture quality will be better compare to
kit lens 18-55mm. Afterall, you need to know what kind of photo u wanted to take to decide what kind of lens u want to buy.