Help: Canon/Nikon experts help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Jan 29, 2007
Hi gurus,

First of all, I dunno if this is the right place to ask this question. I want to keep this thread perfectly flameless. I know every time when people compare Canon and Nikon, "fundamentalists" of both camps will start to bicker childishly. I only want to hear your personal opinion. All brands have their pros and cons so I urge all readers/contributor/"brand fundamentalists" of this thread be have an open mind.

I am now in a dilemma of choosing among these 3 DSLRs. Canon 400D, Nikon D40x and Nikon D80. And yes, this is my 1st DSLR so I need to seek advice from you experts. I appreciate all inputs, thank you. I am siding toward the Canon 400D because I notice the 400D have a bigger option for the lenses available to it, I also like the how the cam feels in my hand too. I dunno if judging a DSLR this way is right or wrong, but I do like to have the option to choose more type of lenses in future. Is it true that Canon lenses are more costly than the equivalent Nikon lenses (for the same function, range,.. etc etc.)? I have tried these cams at a camera shop, but still I could not made up my mind on which one to get, 1stly, I like the LCD of the D40x best, it is very bright and crisp and I also notice that the picture taken by the D40x look better than from the 400D. (All test shot were taken from the respective kit lenses) Can I say that the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens is better than the Canon counterpart? The 400D pix seems "dull" from the cam's LCD, though I know pictures display from a DSLR LCD may not appear the same when pix are uploaded and display from a PC monitor. As mentioned, handling wise, I like the 400D. What are the things that you will look for when buying a DSLR?

So I would like to hear you here who have use both of these cam to tell me something about the pix quality of both of these cam. By photo quality I mean saturation, color rendition, exposure accuracy and the sharpness. I know these things are very subjective and different people will have different interpretation, but generally I would like to know your opinion.

Next, I would like to know what is the difference btw D40x and D80? I hope to hear from someone who have actually handle these 2 cams. I heard that D40x cannot do auto focus on certain Nikon lenses because it does not have "motor" built on its lens mount and the D80 will have auto-focus on all Nikon lenses, it is true? Sorry I have never use a DSLR before, can someone explain to me what is the meaning of this.

Lastly, I would also like you to pick one of the 3 cams mentioned stating the reasons. And once again, for those who want to start flame wars please exercise clemency. Please regard all these results as personal opinion. Thank you for all your comments. Glacias!

When you reach a certain level, the camera that you feel the most comfortable holder IS the best :)

I'd rule out the D40x though, it isn't at the same level as the 400D or D80. The D40x doesn't have an internal motor so many lenses, those that do not have internal motors, will not autofocus with the camera. The D80 has better low light IQ than the 400D IIRC, so if you're into night photography, you might factor that in.

Oh wait, I see you know about the motor thing :D Basically the internal motor is a motor that focuses lens that do not have their own motor. The motor links up to the lens by a screw thread that aligns when you mount the lens. When it autofocuses, the screw turns, and the lens focuses without you having to touch the focus ring. This is with AF enabled of course. Since the D40 doesn't have this lens, non AF-S (those with a motor already built into the lens body) will not work with the camera's autofocus, since there's no way to make the focus ring turn on the lens.

thanks jmmtn4aj for the explanation, oh well between 400D and D80, I still cannot decide on which one. Gosh! I hate to make decision like this :confused: OK, basically, I use my cams more in street/candid photography, some macro work, landscape and night photography. D80 seems to come with a very good kit lens (18-135mm) that produces quite good pictures. For those genre of photography that I mentioned earlier, if I get the 400D, can some Canon guru tell me what are the Canon EF lenses to get and if I buy D80, can some Nikon guru tell me what are the available lenses in the Nikon arsenal? Thanks a million.

Go to a reputable shop, pick up both cameras, and see which really feels better in your hands. Both the 400D and the D80 are capable bodies. Even with their kit lenses, it really boils down to the user to make a difference. If you are getting the kit, I personally prefer Nikon's. BTW, I use a Fuji, so I'm in no favour of either camp.

If cost is no object, just buy the best you can.

If budget is a concern, then get third-party lenses, there are lots of good stuff around.

thanks jmmtn4aj for the explanation, oh well between 400D and D80, I still cannot decide on which one. Gosh! I hate to make decision like this :confused: OK, basically, I use my cams more in street/candid photography, some macro work, landscape and night photography. D80 seems to come with a very good kit lens (18-135mm) that produces quite good pictures. For those genre of photography that I mentioned earlier, if I get the 400D, can some Canon guru tell me what are the Canon EF lenses to get and if I buy D80, can some Nikon guru tell me what are the available lenses in the Nikon arsenal? Thanks a million.
just start off with kit lens, the d80 is far more than enough... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
for canon i think most will advise you to get the 17-85, 24-105... etc but they ain't cheap. the cost nearly as much as a 400D or even more. :sweat:

i'd suggest u start with either the D80 or 400D... i think future cost shouldn't be considered when u make your choice... if u buy into a system but hate to use it... it's pointless... go and try out both cameras... it's not just how it feels.. both brands differ alot in terms of handling.. so u have to play around and decide which one u are more comfortable with using...
many people do say that the canon kit lens isn't up to par with the nikon... but really.. for starters, it good enough, until u figure out what better lenses are suited for you...

just start off with kit lens, the d80 is far more than enough... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
for canon i think most will advise you to get the 17-85, 24-105... etc but they ain't cheap. the cost nearly as much as a 400D or even more. :sweat:

ExplorerZ,
Wow! Just checked the price of the 17-85mm, it cost as much as the 400D :eek: What do you think of the EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM?

ExplorerZ,
Wow! Just checked the price of the 17-85mm, it cost as much as the 400D :eek: What do you think of the EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM?
not recommanded... 28mm ain't wide enough for 1.6x crop dSLR

Both Canon and Nikon had a lot of lenses. But honestly, the Nikon lenses are very good, and the kit lens that comes with the D80 is great. Forget the D40X, it's a waste. I personally am not a fan of the 400D, i don't like the way it feels.

Both Canon and Nikon had a lot of lenses. But honestly, the Nikon lenses are very good, and the kit lens that comes with the D80 is great. Forget the D40X, it's a waste. I personally am not a fan of the 400D, i don't like the way it feels.

yeah, i second that. read from numerous reviews praising the D80 kit lens. I like the 400D feel, but I also like the Nikon feel :confused: sigh....:flush:

think both nikon or canon will be fine.
everthink of borrowing lens from friends ? or which thread of CS do you normallie read (Canon or nikon ?)

for moi, i went with canon cause i used a PNS canon be4 hehe so controls abit similar :p

since i think nikon & canon are fine, consider more of the look and feel of the lens & body. after all ur paying for it and u wana feel and look gd :)

Or try Pentax, Olympus and Sony too... But the lens selection is not as big as for C and N.

Oh, just get the D80 (body only) and an AF-S 18-200VR lens. This combo can pretty much cover your basic needs :bsmilie:

Chiming in to say that I don't think you can do wrong with a d80. I've seen pictures from a d80 and yes the image quality is very good.

Canon has a nice array of lenses however they are pretty ex. If this is your first slr, the 18-135 is a good lens to explore with.

400D vs D80. Tough choice eh! =)

Actually in my view the 400d and d80 are equal each having it's own advantage and disadvantage.

Since you like the feel of the 400d, then maybe you should get that. Another plus point with getting a canon is that you can look forward to upgrading to full frame in the future. Canon has already stated that they intend to make full frame cameras for all except the entry level dslr (saw this in bob atkins site discussing fullframe vs aps-c, you can google it). So in the future when it's time to replace your 400d, you can get a full frame replacement at the 30d price point. Advantage of full frame - better noise control at high iso, wider dynamic range, realising the full potential of your lenses etc. Nikon doesn't have a full frame camera at the moment.

Canon lenses are not more expensive. Some canon lenses are more expensive but it is equally likely that some nikon lenses are more expensive. So I don't think this should be holding you back from getting a canon. Besides, canon also has more variety in the tele end where it is normally more expensive. eg canon has the 70-200 f2.8 and f4 in both IS and non IS form. If budget is tight, you can get a 70-200 f4 non IS for under 1200. Nikon only has the 70-200 f2,8 vr which cost 26xx - 28xx. Note we are talking brand new here. The canon 70-200 are all L lenses btw.

The 400d kit lense is pretty decent, i'm still using it but you can always get the 17-85 IS if you want a better lense. I'm not sure how much a d80 + kit lenses is selling for but the 400d body is going for 1200-1250 and you can pick up a 17-85 IS for 8xx brand new. I think it will still be around 200 more ex than the d80 + kit but you'll be getting IS with that so fair deal.

Btw, I feel it's a myth that canon lenses cost more than nikon and it almost stopped me from buying a canon. So just to give you an idea of the prices (all are local non grey price):

WIde angle zoom
Nikon AF-S 12-24mm f/4 G DX IF-ED $1600
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM $1,080

Standard zoom
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM $1,470
Nikon AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G DX $2180

Telephoto zoom
Nikon AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF ED - $2750
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM - $2,818
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM - $1,790 (included this to show variety in canon lense range)

I chose these few lenses in particular since they are quite close in terms of focal range and max aperture. For other focal lengths you can check out the nikon and canon price guides.

WIde angle zoom
Nikon AF-S 12-24mm f/4 G DX IF-ED $1600
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM $1,080

You cant compare these 2 lenses. The nikon is a fixed aperture while the canon is not.:nono:

You cant compare these 2 lenses. The nikon is a fixed aperture while the canon is not.:nono:

They might exactly the same but unfortunately nikon doesn't have a wide angle zoom that goes to 10mm and canon does not have 1 with fixed aperture.

My comparison still stands because if you are using a 400d or d80 and you want a wide angle zoom these 2 are only ones available assuming you are not considering 3rd party. If you are comsidering third party then this whole comparison is moot.

so what? they are still the widest zooms each maker has.. ken rockwell didnt have any issue in comparing them...iirc he said he would have the canon.

For me, I am always under the impression that Nikon would be slightly more expensive for equivalent lenses. That was one of the reason that makes me buy a Canon film SLR many years ago.

Nikon strength is they have more varieties of wide angle lenses, while Canon have more varieties of telephoto lenses. As to which company make better lenses, the argument will be never ending. Same too for their DSLR bodies. We'll have equal number of pros who will swear by with Canon or Nikon. If you like the feel of 400D and like the variety of lenses Canon has, then go for it. Likewise, the same for D80. Either way, you'll grow to like either of them.

Avoid D40 if you are serious in this hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.