help! Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM or EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2008
read some reviews on the interent but would appreciate if you guys could give some feedback on both lenses... and which of the 2 you would buy.

For a lady, the f/2.8 IS version will be too heavy to carry around all the time. It will end up in the dry cabinet and not get use. Go for the f/4 IS version is my suggestion.

Actually, it is also too heavy for a guy to carry the f/2.8 IS lens around all the time. :sweat:

Last edited:
70-200mm f4 IS will be my own choice.

fast, sharp, light. :bsmilie:

I also had to make this choice some time back. In the end, chose the f4 because its lighter, and I'm using this lens in outdoors under daylight mostly.

choosing either one based on what you usually shoot.. my point of view is that doing events in a hall or low light condition shoot f2.8 IS will be good so that you wont face any problem but requires better arm power to steady it over a prolong period of time.

if you dont shoot event and mostly under the sun, outdoors etc f4 IS is good...

My personal equipment contains the 70-200mm F4L IS. Unless you take fast action consistently like a sports journalist, to lug around a huge tube of metal with heavy glass materials is not joke even for a man.....

Give that with a 5D Mark 2, drip and extra batteries.....phew!

Unless I am sitting still behind a goal post shooting for huge money......its something to think about. Depends on what you want to do with the lense.

if travelling/general photography... the f/4 variant.

if specific event/portraiture photography... the f/2.8 variant.

yes sure you can bring the f/2.8 on travelling/general/walkabout shoot. The lens can last years. But your arms can only last an hour or so of non-stop shooting ;p

consider a 135L but no zoom. light, sharp and wide open.

Bought F4LIS due to needing a good zoom to do landscapes. Most of the time this lens is supported by a tripod for me but I have since discovered it is an excellent portrait lens as well. Sharpness and bokeh are:thumbsup:

Recommend u rent both lenses and decide on which suits your style.

Bought F4LIS due to needing a good zoom to do landscapes. Most of the time this lens is supported by a tripod for me but I have since discovered it is an excellent portrait lens as well. Sharpness and bokeh are:thumbsup:

Recommend u rent both lenses and decide on which suits your style.

i've never rented lens before, could you give some trustworthy shops ?

I am using Nikon and have been wishing (for years) that they come up with the equivalent of the Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM.

From the reviews, this lens must be everything a prosumer hope for:

equally good build
constant "acceptably fast" and constant aperture
light enough for travels

But TS, you got to know what your main usage for telezoom

e.g. an F4 at 200mm may not be fast enough for sports; e.g. for our yearly F1 night race, you may not be able to "shoot through" the fence at ease

Status
Not open for further replies.