HELP! Canon 500D (18-200) or Nikon D90 (18-105)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonkeng

Dec 17, 2009
Hello guys!
I’m planning to buy my first dslr camera.
A friend (Canon user) suggest the Canon 500D kit II (18-200 lens) @ 1.8k.
While my cousin (Nikon user) suggest the Nikon D90 kit (18-105 lens) @ 1.7k.

Both are around the same price range.

Which would be better?

Thanks.

Hello guys!
I’m planning to buy my first dslr camera.
A friend (Canon user) suggest the Canon 500D kit II (18-200 lens) @ 1.8k.
While my cousin (Nikon user) suggest the Nikon D90 kit (18-105 lens) @ 1.7k.

Both are around the same price range.

Which would be better?

Thanks.

a very standard answer, go try both of them out and see which one u like better, the grip and the interface.

both camera are very capable camera.

ermmmm.....

already did both, and frankly, havent noticed the difference....yet.

when i ask the clerks, they would say those irrelevant things, like canon better or nikon better, canon more user friendly, nikon more user friendly etc. Maybe they also dont know, just like me.

thats why i need help from you guys, who have more experience with these cameras. I'm very new to this things.

My budget is only 2k, is there any other options and suggestions that you guys know of?

Does the Canon 18-200 lens have a very big advandage over the Nikon 18-105?

So basically, its 500D vs D90 for body, then for lens is 18-200 vs 18-105.

I know that D90 body is more expensive than the 500D body, so I assume that the former has more options and functions than the later. but does the Canon 18-200 lens close the gap or even surpass the quality of the D90 with 18-105 lens?

I hope i didnt make it more complicated.

Last edited:
ermmmm.....

when i ask the clerks, they would say those irrelevant things, like canon better or nikon better, canon more user friendly, nikon more user friendly etc. Maybe they also dont know, just like me.

thats why i need help from you guys, who have more experience with these cameras. I'm very new to this things.

My budget is only 2k, is there any other options and suggestions that you guys know of?

If you cannot feel the difference then get the canon package which comes with 18 -200mm which IMO is a good general purpose lens.

i bought a 500D not long back, and its really great for my needs.. like everyone else said, u could try both out n see which u like better.. on paper though, i guess the D90 has more features

ok, i will try again later if can see the difference, then if still cannot, then im going with the 500D because of the 18-200 lens. I plan to buy within the week, or next week latest. It would be great if more suggestions and opinions are given.

I'll check the review now, thanks guys.

If you like the feel of the D90, and the top LCD of the D90 and the dual control dials, then go with the D90.

Comparing both I like the Canon offering more because it's smaller and more portable when needed. If I need to go on shoot I could always add a vertical grip for the stability.

And also the D90 can't do phrase-AF in LiveView mode, which is a major letdown for me. :(

I tested the d90 yesterday at HN, and it felt good. i'll test the 500d later.

how about the canon 50d? 50d kit 1 comes only with 18-55 @ 1.9k, then kit 2 with 18-200 @ 2.5k.

my budget is around 2k so my choices are these:

Nikon D90 (18-105) @1.8k
Canon 500D (18-200) @1.9k
Canon 50D (18-55) @ 1.9K

ermmmm.....

Does the Canon 18-200 lens have a very big advandage over the Nikon 18-105?

So basically, its 500D vs D90 for body, then for lens is 18-200 vs 18-105.

I know that D90 body is more expensive than the 500D body, so I assume that the former has more options and functions than the later. but does the Canon 18-200 lens close the gap or even surpass the quality of the D90 with 18-105 lens?

I hope i didnt make it more complicated.

I was in the same position as you were a couple of months back (as have many others!). Just as the other guys said, both are very capable cameras and you have to go test them both out to see what you like.

I finally settled on a D90 because i liked the feel of the camera in my hands, it felt a lot more solid (and heavier too!). I find the ergonomics and layout better as well, though the D90 could have implemented a smooth analogue control somewhere. Also, the D90 uses a pentaprism for the viewfinder as compared to a pentaprism for the 500D, though this is more me being anal than a significant difference in performance.

Lens wise, i chose the 18-105 kit option since i figured it'd cover the focal lengths of the type of photos i would take and learn more about composition first before getting infected by the BBB virus and getting more high end lenses. No regrets there!

Perhaps someone can offer his experiences on choosing a 500D?

how about the canon 50d? 50d kit 1 comes only with 18-55 @ 1.9k, then kit 2 with 18-200 @ 2.5k.

Nikon D90 (18-105) @1.8k
Canon 50D (18-55) @ 1.9K

If i were you, i will go for the 50D 18-55mm. perhaps will upgrade to some better lens in future.
But that's just me. You can take that as a reference. But don't let it affect your decision.
Sometimes, you really have to feel it yourself.

18-200 is a all-in-one lens, meaning you won't have to keep changing lens when your outside taking snapshot of wide angle or tele-zoom. So i guess, that can be a good choice either.

Seriously is see which brand u wan. Both of the cameras are very good cameras. Cos u need to think if example if u get nikon, and u buy all the lenses for nikon. Next time very hard for u to change to another brand already cos all ur lenses are for nikkon mount. See my point?

Nikon D90 (18-105) @1.8k
Canon 50D (18-55) @ 1.9K

If you dun need the video function, get the 50D.

Nikon D90 (18-105) @1.8k
Canon 50D (18-55) @ 1.9K

Hi,

I new here also, but can give you some suggestion.
Both camera perform great photo!
Since you budget is 2K. For me 2K can buy very great camera.
Ask yourself, which level are you now? Beginner? Middle-pro? or pro?
Nikon D90 more for middle-pro or pro because more feature is play around.
Canon 50D is same like Nikon D90 except the no video.
Canon 500D more for new entry point/middle-pro like me. ;)
If you want to go in advance..then go for Nikon D90 else Canon 500D is more suit to you.
See how your want to invest your 2K.
If for me I have extra 2K, I will go for D90 even I'm Canon supported! ;p

Hope it help.

Last edited:
TS. Being a Nikon user, jus wan you to know some of the features that might help u in deciding. There are features like multiple exposure (more room for creativity), wireless shutter control (if you have the remote), CLS. I dunno what special features canon have. Mayb canon user can input to help our TS? Being a noob, i found these few features pretty useful. I dunno what other nikon user think abt this.

guys, someone just quoted me with these prices:

Nikon d90 kit (18-105 lens) --------------$800usd
Nikon body only--------------$500usd
Nikkor 18-200 lens------------$300usd
Canon 50d kit (18-55) -------$700usd
Canon 50d kit (18-200)------------$800usd

so, D90 kit (18-105) = D90 Body + 18-200 = 50D kit (18-200) = 800$USD???

is this for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.