Help!! Cannot retrieve image files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belleforte

Jan 29, 2003
Central Singapore
Visit site
Dear friends...

I have been backing up my photos onto an external harddisk through my old home PC. The harddisk on the old PC crashed last week and I have to change it and reload the Window XP. Now, when I tried to retrieve the backed up image files on the external drive, the system prompts that I am not authorised to do so (something that I do not have the administrator rights). Can someone give some pointers on what I can do to access my files.:dunno:

Thanks.

Dear friends...

I have been backing up my photos onto an external harddisk through my old home PC. The harddisk on the old PC crashed last week and I have to change it and reload the Window XP. Now, when I tried to retrieve the backed up image files on the external drive, the system prompts that I am not authorised to do so (something that I do not have the administrator rights). Can someone give some pointers on what I can do to access my files.:dunno:

Thanks.

If you are using Windows XP,

1. In File Explorer, right click on the drive or folder you wish to change the permission.
2. Select "Properties".
3. Select "Security" tab.
4. Click on the "Advanced" button (near bottom).
5. Select "Owner" tab.
6. Select "Administrators" under the field "Change owner to:".
7. Check the checkbox "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
8. Click on the "OK" button. It will take a while for the system to update all the permission.

By the way, your login user must be a member of the Administrators group.

Good luck.

Oh, forgot about this...

If you don't see the "Security" tab in step 3 above, do the following first.

1. In File Explorer, select "Tools" in the top menu bar.
2. Select "Folder Options...".
3. Select the "View" tab.
4. Uncheck the checbox "Use simple file sharing (Recommendated)" in the field "Advance setting:" (need to scroll down to the bottom).
5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Status
Not open for further replies.