HELP : anyone with a filter wrench? I have a stuck filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooKing

Sep 23, 2008
Hi all,

Need some help from a fellow photographer..

I have a stuck filter on my lens.. and i need to prep to go overseas by wednesday..

Can someone help:

1. tell me where to get a filter wrench in singapore? (online will take too long to deliver..)
2. if you have and willing to spare a few mins, give me a call and i will come to you with the lens to help me unscrew it...

Thanks all for reading...

my number : 92388031.
Eric

Try stacking the filters with other filters. Use a masking tape to tape them into 1 piece. Use a towel to wrap around. If more torque is needed, used a stick with the towel. :)

Pardon if this is basic knowledge to you but have you tried placing the filter flat against a grippy surface like something rubbery, and twisting off that? If you're stuck, the base of a shoe works okay.

This usually is good enough to remove a stubborn filter as it offers plenty of grip.

Any luck with the double-sided tape?

HI!

Trying.. trying...

will update!

Any luck with the double-sided tape?

Tried... no luck..

Here is what i did, in chronological order..

1. double sided tape.. splice a tape into 2 (it was too wide), then went round 2 or 3 times..
gave it a jolt... the double sided tape.. came off.. (lousy tape..)

2. went for WD 40.. drip a bit of it (with the help of a cotton bud (with its ends stripped off cotton. then pressed the surface of the lens (filter side) on a table with a grippy (a rubbery layer of dunno what..) then turn the lens while apply pressure against the table..

3. sliding a piece of ICE on the filter surface.. then using bare hands to try to twist it off..

all to no avail..

previously tried :
1. rubber band..
2. (2) with no WD40

no idea what to do anymore..

If the tape came off, use a better tape. :bsmilie:

Anyways, just PMed you. If you like, i can try to take it off for you.

Alternatively, drop by Peninsula area tomorrow and go to P&G at Peninsula Shopping Center or any of the other repair shops for assistance. Should not cost much for service to take off a stuck filter.

One shop that may have a wrench available is K-13 marketing on the 2nd level of Peninsula Plaza. Give them a call first to check.

If the tape came off, use a better tape. :bsmilie:

Anyways, just PMed you. If you like, i can try to take it off for you.

Alternatively, drop by Peninsula area tomorrow and go to P&G at Peninsula Shopping Center or any of the other repair shops for assistance. Should not cost much for service to take off a stuck filter.

One shop that may have a wrench available is K-13 marketing on the 2nd level of Peninsula Plaza. Give them a call first to check.

Agreed on the first point on the tape... my double side tape.. too old..

Thinking about the camera shop alternative, as much as i am desperate.. i dun want to trouble fellow clubsnappers because of a stupid problem like this..
thanks all, you guys are a great help.

bro, u're going to buy another filter to replace the one that's stuck....?
if yes, why not drop down any camera shop, buy a new filter, request their help
to replace the old one...they might do it for free since u bought a filter from them...;)

bro, u're going to buy another filter to replace the one that's stuck....?
if yes, why not drop down any camera shop, buy a new filter, request their help
to replace the old one...they might do it for free since u bought a filter from them...;)

Nope... not going to get another one.. vit M not enough.. unfortunately.

my experience.... after i drop my 40D with my 10-22 mounted. filter's mount got dented and stuck.

everyday... i will just try to unscrew it. try until my hand is tired, do it again the next day. took me almost 2 weeks to get it off. eventually the filter will come off.

i also have a stuck filter b4... tried to look for a wrench b4 no many shops has it... then i found P&G at peninsula (not the delphi one), ask the upcle there and he say can help to remove the filter... maybe less than $30 i cant remember... the cheapest i can find... the delphi charge a lot more, i dunno why... :bsmilie:

use hammer. anything will come off. trust me.

my experience.... after i drop my 40D with my 10-22 mounted. filter's mount got dented and stuck.

everyday... i will just try to unscrew it. try until my hand is tired, do it again the next day. took me almost 2 weeks to get it off. eventually the filter will come off.

Wow, got lots of patience ... everyday turn for 2 weeks

Have you tried those rubber can opener? (I know you tried rubber band but those rubber can opener has bigger surface area and add more friction around and over the filter).

FYI, TS bought a set of filter wrench from me this afternoon and get his filter unstuck in about 2 minutes.

Ya!

Thanks to CS Tan for selling me the wrench.
After some tugging... it came off.. all thats required..

1. filter wrench
2. 2 grown men
3. brute strength.

for those who has similar problems, if i can help, give me a SMS! my number is in first post.

PS: subject to my availability....

That's great to hear Voodoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.