Help! Any way to view UNdeleted files ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally

Jul 14, 2004
end of there
Mega "OOPSS!" moment...
Accidentally deleted part of a directory holding holiday JPGs, on an external drive.. :cry:
Tried several undelete programs to recover files...
Now can see the files, but can't view the JPGs (aka cannot preview)..

Any advise? Many Thanks!

The files are tagged as .jpg already...
But when double-clicked, can't see anything... :(

Thanks for advise all the same..

i dunno if this is happening to everybody... but i face this problem on my windows generic viewer... are you using it as well? i recommend using other software to view to see if its having the same problem...

or u look at the file size of the jpg, if 0kb means its not been retrieved.

The files show 2+Mbytes, which should be about right for the files..
Will try using PS or some other programs to try view files tngt... Thanks!

Ally said:
Mega "OOPSS!" moment...
Accidentally deleted part of a directory holding holiday JPGs, on an external drive.. :cry:

Any advise? Many Thanks!

Can I know what you mean by "now can see the files" What files name are they as an example?

Here is what usually happen when you delete a file permanently from your trash can. It is not really erase as per say but the first letter of the file name is change to "?". Thus if you have a file called mypicture.jpg. when you delete it, it becomes ?ypicture.jpg. With that "?" in the front, windows and other programs will not be able to see it anymore. It will be invisible but the space it occupys will be able to overwrite it with something else. This is what I know..unless they have change that in XP's nstp heheh... So if you managed to undelete the file or have a special undelete program that allow you to see these 'steatlth" file...you can try to rename the "?" back to what it was and it will be visible again.

some time if the undelete program has found the deleted files it might only have savage the name only with no byte size. In that case, you are pretty much out of lucky.

Just some pointers...

I had this bad experience before. Went to format my harddisk accidently, recovered most files but jpeg files couldn't be saved... other office applications no prob.

sumball said:
I had this bad experience before. Went to format my harddisk accidently, recovered most files but jpeg files couldn't be saved... other office applications no prob.

Files like documents are loosely packed files...that is why you can zip a document file to less then 10 times it size or more. But a picture file especially jpg is tightly packed and compression algorithm is applied to it as well to make the file size smaller ( abeit you lose quality to the file). If any part of it is damaged or there is a check sum error...there is a very high chance you can't open it again or even if you can, damaged portion will come out garp, discoloured or just all mess up looking horizontally.

sammy888 said:
Can I know what you mean by "now can see the files" What files name are they as an example?
Deleted from external drive, not sure that files go into trash-can (at least that's wat i see from the desktop)..
After recovering files, the files are shown with the correct filenames with .jpg extensions..
I suspect it's because it was a FOLDER deletion that's why gets a bit more complicated than just a file deletion..
I even managed to recover a .jpg file that was deleted last year.. but no such luck with the most recent disaster... :thumbsd:

Ally said:
Deleted from external drive, not sure that files go into trash-can (at least that's wat i see from the desktop)..
After recovering files, the files are shown with the correct filenames with .jpg extensions..
I suspect it's because it was a FOLDER deletion that's why gets a bit more complicated than just a file deletion..
I even managed to recover a .jpg file that was deleted last year.. but no such luck with the most recent disaster... :thumbsd:

It does not matter if you deleted your jpg files by deleting the folder that contains the pictures files. It will still change the first character to "?". I think I know what you mean now and what has happen. Even though you managed to savalge the file...some parts of it are missing so you are not able to open them even if it has the file extension ".jpg" I have experience that before previously with a crashed HDD. I used a undelete program from Norton years ago to try to save some files I have erases. I even managed to track down some other older picture files. I even recognise the names but when I try to open it, it fails. That is becasue now all the binary codes are there anymore thus there is an error opening them or they will have corrupted portion in the picture if you do managed to open it to see. I dont't have a sample with me now but suffice to say, just try to go through all those files you found...you might have to go through all of them and hopefully will still find some that is still in tact to open.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Don't know if this helps but look for a viewer called FastStone Viewer... this viewer allows me to read files even while they are in the recycle bin..

It reads raw files as well.. pretty nifty interface too..

willyfoo said:
Don't know if this helps but look for a viewer called FastStone Viewer... this viewer allows me to read files even while they are in the recycle bin..

It reads raw files as well.. pretty nifty interface too..

Tried FastStone but to no avail...
Alas, methinks the jpgs are lost... Woe is me.. Woe is me... :cry:
(but I'll keep them around, just in case got better s/ware to try...)

Once again.. DANKE!

I have a High end recovery proggie, drop it to me and I may be able to recover it for you.

Cost= 1 Teh-O

Ally said:
Mega "OOPSS!" moment...

Any advise? Many Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.